Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sure seems that all the theater chains are in big trouble going forward- even when the President and CDC lifts our current restrictions, my prediction is people aren’t just going to immediately resume normal activities- some of our population will not completely trust that they’re not going to get sick while attending the theater, so these large gathering events will be
affected for a while.
I agree. I think it will take a vaccine that people have confidence in to get us back to whatever the new normal will be.

Reactions: Sean Bryan

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
AMC has been in a lot of trouble for quite some time, as have the other major exhibitors. This just exposes those weaknesses even more drastically.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
I agree. I think it will take a vaccine that people have confidence in to get us back to whatever the new normal will be.
So that’s about 18 months away. What chain could survive that??

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Studios aren't going to suddenly pass up billion dollar paydays so movie theaters (maybe it will or won't be AMC or Regal) are going to survive.

What I wonder about is physical media. Will the rather large gap between now and the end of the year when Tent or Mulan come out on disc (assuming they stay in their July theatrical release dates) break the habit of buying discs for the ever dwindling number of people who still buy discs? I think there's a good chance that they will not return to buying discs and when you factor in the upcoming economic depression, even boutique labels might be done which will effectively be the end of physical media.

Last edited:

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
What I wonder about is physical media. Will the rather large gap between now and the end of the year when Tent or Mulan come out on disc (assuming they stay in their July theatrical release dates) break the habit of buying discs for the ever dwindling number of people who still buy discs? I think there's a good chance that they will not return to buying discs and when you factor in the upcoming economic depression, even boutique labels might be done which will effectively be the end of physical media.
So whatever has already been released and/or is in the pipeline (ie. new discs already manufactured and in a warehouse), will be "frozen in time" ?

Something an historian in the future might be able to pinpoint as an "extinction event" for optical discs?

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
In such a scenario, will 4Kbluray bite the dust first ?

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it's funny:}

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
The Apex of this virus isn’t expected to peak until Summer. Peak. Then it will gradually lessen....hopefully.

And then a possible new surge in the fall.

I just don’t see theaters opening before Christmas at the earliest. And that’s being optimistic.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
The Apex of this virus isn’t expected to peak until Summer. Peak. Then it will gradually lessen....hopefully.

And then a possible new surge in the fall.

I just don’t see theaters opening before Christmas at the earliest. And that’s being optimistic.
If there is another surge in the Fall, how can the theaters open again before Christmas when they're still in the middle of that surge?

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
If there is another surge in the Fall, how can the theaters open again before Christmas when they're still in the middle of that surge?
Possible surge. If that surge happens we’re looking at next spring.

Lord Dalek

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah that's the big problem. Usually flus peter out in the summer and regain strength in the fall. So far we don't know if COVID-19 will peter out and it may be even worse on its second wind.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Yeah that's the big problem. Usually flus peter out in the summer and regain strength in the fall. So far we don't know if COVID-19 will peter out and it may be even worse on its second wind.
There is such much we don't know yet and will only find out in the coming months.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
We'll see ya later, fellas 5/30/20
The model that is most used is showing the apex weeks from now...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

What I want to know is how all the movie cancellations effect the Oscars. Will they have to judge whether they gave enough films to choose from?

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
The model that is most used is showing the apex weeks from now...

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

What I want to know is how all the movie cancellations effect the Oscars. Will they have to judge whether they gave enough films to choose from?
Yeah. I don’t believe that model will be accurate. Again I hope I’m wrong. Summer is only a little over 2 months away.

Oscars may be cancelled for those reasons among others.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah. I don’t believe that model will be accurate. Again I hope I’m wrong. Summer is only a little over 2 months away.

Oscars may be cancelled for those reasons among others.
Jeez, that hadn’t occurred to me.

Jesse Skeen

Producer
Reaction score
The analysts’ report says AMC is carrying a lot of debt, making their situation more dire. Unless they get government assistance, they may not survive.
Any theater that has common-width screens or even worse ones with no masking at all should not be eligible for any government assistance. Instead any of that money should go to me to open a theater that's designed the right way!

Jeff Cooper

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I keep seeing ads for Trolls that still say April 10th on them. Are there theaters out there that are still getting new releases if you should so choose to go to them? I was under the impression that pretty much everything was shut down.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgasingh307