What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (2 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
just going to throw this out there, with everything that has happened this year and well the year ending then awards season, think Spielberg's statement that it has to have a theatrical release (non streaming) should apply for Academy Award Nominations, this year?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I believe the Academy has said that any film that was intended for theatrical release but instead went direct to streaming due to the pandemic would be considered eligible this year.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
One of the independent theaters around me decided to play all eight of the Paramount FRIDAY THE 13TH films this week. Needless to say that I'll be hitting all of the sequels and watched the second one today. I'm really not sure how these places are going to stay in business but what was interesting at this theater is that they added a "2pm" screening to all movies to try and get people in. This gimmick 2pm showing is for those who want people to wear a mask 100% of the time and not just in the lobby or bathrooms. Meaning your mask has to stay on the entire time you're in the theater including in your seat. They also do not sell any concessions during these screenings (obviously to keep your mask on). I guess a lot of experimental things will go on but I really don't see how theaters could stay afloat doing this.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Just a friendly PSA to remind people to be careful at home. I got infected by my daughter who came over to visit last Monday on her way home from work. She was complaining that she wasn't feeling well and stupid me didn't think anything of it because she's such a hypochondriac. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have sent her home immediately. I got a cough and a fever last Wednesday, but even that didn't give me pause. It wasn't until I lost my sense of taste on Tuesday that I realized something was off. I went and got tested and it came back positive. The Doctor says I have to stay isolated through tomorrow, but that I'm likely to not have any more issues. Thankfully, we both had very mild cases.

I only say this because I'm a person who has been to movies, restaurants etc on a regular basis and I'm constantly careful. After all of that, I got infected right in my own home because I let my guard down.

I’m glad you’re doing well Jeff.

Your story is a perfect example of what I’ve been saying to people for a long time now. The greatest risk of contracting this illness is not from the guy you pass in the isle at CVS or the girl giving you your takeout pizza. It’s from close friends and family members that we feel are “safe”. I think that’s just human nature though. But it is how this is mostly spreading. Well, that and idiots that think going to bars in this environment isn’t dangerous.

Things are not looking good now, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are really going make things so much worse.

My advice to everyone: 2020 was crap. Write the whole thing off, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. Keep it to household members only and be happy that we’ll be moving back towards normal next Spring/Summer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember having a similar conversation earlier in this or the other thread. That I had accepted pretty early on that 2020 was over, so that I wouldn’t experience new waves of disappointment with each movie/event postponement and each rearranged holiday plan. The person I was conversing with, and please forgive me as I’ve forgotten who it was, felt that they needed to have things to look forward to and for them, a small wave of disappointment repeated often was better than one big one. I think we’re all different and each approach is valid with its own pros and cons. But for me personally, the approaching holiday season hasn’t bummed me out as much as it has some of my friends/family cause I knew this is what it was going to be.

We have a small “pod” of immediate family that lives in close proximity - under ten people. We’ve all had to make sacrifices to maintain it to keep a level of activity approval we could agree on, but that’s been very helpful towards navigating these difficult times. The self-imposed two week quarantine everyone did so that we could form the pod was worth the effort.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The academy already ruled that streaming films will be allowed as long as they were originally slated to open theatrically.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Academy stupidly plans to have the Oscars be an in person ceremony.

I hope CA blocks this plan.
I imagine they will if the pandemic still necessitates it in April (and I think it will). If they don't, there's going to be a ton of "Millionaire fatcats in Hollyweird are hypocrites" criticism. And that criticism will definitely happen even if they have no audience or guests and only bring the nominees in separate groups and seat them apart from each other.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope CA blocks this plan.

Movie theaters haven't even been allowed to open in Los Angeles yet, and if they were they would be at a far smaller capacity limit than an Oscar telecast at the Dolby. There is simply no way that Newsom will allow them to go ahead with what certainly would be a massive superspreader event if it did occur in person.

I suspect that they will end up going to Jimmy Kimmel, who already has experience with a virtual show from the Emmys, and ask him to host again in the same manner. That's the solution, and it's easy, because they're not the first awards show to have done this.

I have no problem with streaming films being honored in this situation. But I do think the idea of celebrating the film industry at this juncture is kind of weird because there isn't much to celebrate right now with the industry in turmoil.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
By late April, it's looking like a huge chunk of the population will have been vaccinated. I don't think they're going to pack the Dolby. It would seem to me that this could be done through testing and proper distancing (if that's even necessary by late April).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were planning to have the ceremony in August when it looks like vaccines will be wide spread, I'm not convinced they will be available enough by April.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were planning to have the ceremony in August when it looks like vaccines will be wide spread, I'm not convinced they will be available enough by April.
Keep in mind that the majority of nominees are rich so they will definitely not have to wait as long for the vaccine as the regular population. Honestly, I didn't even consider the vaccine's effect on the Oscars and now that I am, I think they will have the in-person show.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize that "Free Guy" had been postponed again until I looked at this week's releases.

Not surprised, of course, but I thought that one might sneak out since it doesn't feel like a movie that anyone anticipated becoming a true blockbuster...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Just a friendly PSA to remind people to be careful at home. I got infected[...]because I let my guard down.
Jeff,

All contractions of Covid brings pause and long introspections to my days, especially when this virus strikes upon those who have taken it seriously.

It takes both courage and selflessness to publicly share what is personal, in order to remind others and to look after us all. For this, I send to you my thanks.

I hope that both you and your daughter are now feeling stronger and healthier; and may the rest of your family remain shielded from any further travails.

- Philip

Last edited:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It seems I'm the only one actively going to the movie, although I still plan to go more than I actually do. I'm really shocked many are still open. Some around me have cut their showtimes down to just one a day. They're still not getting anyone so I'm sure these places are about to close.

The closest theater to me is in the same area as an Olive Garden and a couple other restaurants. It's strange seeing 2+ hour waiting times and dozens of cars for these restaurants but you then look over at the theater and there are maybe 10 cars.

I'm planning on catching WRONG TURN and THE MALTESE FALCON in a couple weeks when they have their special screenings. The Fathom events are buy 1 ticket get 1 free. I'm a bit shocked that they continued their TCM series considering the low numbers from last year.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last night I was the only person in a screening of Jurassic Park. Looked and sounded great, I still wore my mask while not eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks