What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Emily01

Auditioning
Real Name
Emily
In 2019, the domestic box office reported $11.4 billion in ticket sales, the second-highest haul in industry history. So far in 2020, the U.S. and Canada have only tallied $2.05 billion. At the same point last year, the domestic box office had generated more than $8.4 billion in sales. That’s more than a 75% drop.
:oops:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm curious if Cinemark is about to close. My wife took the kids to see GREMLINS last night and they haven't restocked their candy. The cashier said they weren't getting any more. Whatever that means.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just heard that even if everything goes perfectly America won't be vaccinated enough before sometime this coming summer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Love how the stock market is already calling an end to the pandemic based on a few words from a pharma CEO.

They've essentially been calling it for quite awhile now... as early as July when the market permanently recovered and started toward making additional gains, LOL...:wacko::rolleyes:

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Regal is shutting down all their remaining NY and Ca theaters. 2 of the 3 open theaters in my area were those theaters. The only remaining open theater in my area is an independent dine in theater which keeps minimum house lights on during the movies so the waiters can see where they are walking but washes out the screen.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I haven't heard anything official, but my local Landmark owned theater now has coming attractions listed. They had none a few days ago. Maybe they didn't open earlier because they didn't think they could compete with Regal in this environment. Now they won't have to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything official, but my local Landmark owned theater now has coming attractions listed. They had none a few days ago. Maybe they didn't open earlier because they didn't think they could compete with Regal in this environment. Now they won't have to.
If Regal is closing down, I can't imagine there's much business going on. I guess that raises the questions of why did they even bother to leave theaters open in New York and California to just shut them a few weeks later? Did they think that playing Tenet two months after it came out would be a huge boon for them and now that they got that money, they can close up? Why is Regal closing if AMC can manage to stay open (for now anyway)?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
AMC is getting kickbacks from Universal movies (The Croods) that go to streaming shortly after opening in theaters. Regal won't play those movies. The local Landmark that I mentioned does have The Croods on their coming soon page.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Regal is shutting down all their remaining NY and Ca theaters. 2 of the 3 open theaters in my area were those theaters. The only remaining open theater in my area is an independent dine in theater which keeps minimum house lights on during the movies so the waiters can see where they are walking but washes out the screen.

IF they opened in NYC, I would've considered going to see Tenet either at the Lincoln Sq IMAX or maybe the Battery Park City Regal. But alas...

Guess I'll probably splurge a little and buy it on 4K disc at whatever price during release week...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
IF they opened in NYC, I would've considered going to see Tenet either at the Lincoln Sq IMAX or maybe the Battery Park City Regal. But alas...

I'm glad I was able to see the movie real IMAX. I still hope it gets some play on IMAX screens in places it didn't play at all - like NYC - or where it didn't get to the real IMAX screens.

That was the case here in DC, as the Smithsonian houses our real IMAX screens. I was able to see it real IMAX because I happened to be out in Arizona - otherwise I would've only seen it LIEMAX!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just in from Regal, same as I previously said Deadline was reporting.

"In line with our previously announced strategy, Regal is temporarily suspending operations at the remainder of our theatres in New York State and California until the public health and operational environment allows for the resumption of a full release slate.

Regal will continue to monitor the situation closely in coordination with guidance from public health officials and will communicate any future plans to resume operations when key markets offer more concrete plans on their reopening status and, in turn, studios are able to bring their pipeline of major releases back to the big screen."

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And the Landmark Theater I mentioned will be opening this weekend with newly added reserved seating.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
And the Landmark Theater I mentioned will be opening this weekend with newly added reserved seating.
The Landmark near me is surprisingly busy for some reason. I've only been a few times since they reopened but it's been between 20-40 people every showing. It's still general admission seating though.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just a friendly PSA to remind people to be careful at home. I got infected by my daughter who came over to visit last Monday on her way home from work. She was complaining that she wasn't feeling well and stupid me didn't think anything of it because she's such a hypochondriac. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have sent her home immediately. I got a cough and a fever last Wednesday, but even that didn't give me pause. It wasn't until I lost my sense of taste on Tuesday that I realized something was off. I went and got tested and it came back positive. The Doctor says I have to stay isolated through tomorrow, but that I'm likely to not have any more issues. Thankfully, we both had very mild cases.

I only say this because I'm a person who has been to movies, restaurants etc on a regular basis and I'm constantly careful. After all of that, I got infected right in my own home because I let my guard down.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just a friendly PSA to remind people to be careful at home. I got infected by my daughter who came over to visit last Monday on her way home from work. She was complaining that she wasn't feeling well and stupid me didn't think anything of it because she's such a hypochondriac. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have sent her home immediately. I got a cough and a fever last Wednesday, but even that didn't give me pause. It wasn't until I lost my sense of taste on Tuesday that I realized something was off. I went and got tested and it came back positive. The Doctor says I have to stay isolated through tomorrow, but that I'm likely to not have any more issues. Thankfully, we both had very mild cases.

I only say this because I'm a person who has been to movies, restaurants etc on a regular basis and I'm constantly careful. After all of that, I got infected right in my own home because I let my guard down.

Hope and pray you and your daughter recover quickly and w/out any complication.

And thanks for sharing...

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Landmark near me is surprisingly busy for some reason. I've only been a few times since they reopened but it's been between 20-40 people every showing. It's still general admission seating though.
I think Cuomo mandated reserved seating if you wanted to open during the pandemic.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And I just went to the Landmark and they had a sign up saying that they couldn't open because the county positivity rate was too high. And this was supposed to be opening day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aussie