Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm reading the article and since when has Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone had a 3D conversion?
My impression was that WB is going to do it specifically for this release. Someone who actually keeps up with 3D should feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I've never heard of it being shown that way before, so it seems like something that would have to be newly created.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
Expect the rest of the studios to follow.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Expect the rest of the studios to follow.
Serious question, do you expect the whole world to just stop for the next six or more months? How exactly will that work? What happens when people run out of money and can't eat (something that's already happening to some people)? Any scenario I can think of involving that long of a work stoppage results in a horrifying increase in the level of violent crime everywhere and poverty that is far worse than the coronavirus.

DaveF

Reaction score
Real Name
Dave
Reactions: Mysto

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
Serious question, do you expect the whole world to just stop for the next six or more months?
Dude. All I said is that I think the rest of the studios will follow. How did you extrapolate that serious question from my statement? My comment was relevant to this thread.

And to answer you, I certainly hope not. :)

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Dude. All I said is that I think the rest of the studios will follow. How did you extrapolate that serious question from my statement? My comment was relevant to this thread.
Because I see one as a natural extension of the other. The only reason that studios will not release new movies for that long is because the rest of the world is still on pause for that same period of time. The movie studios aren't going to wait any longer than any other business to get back to business.

Last edited:

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
The movie studios aren't going to wait any longer than any other business to get back to business.
I actually think they will since their entire source of income is dependent upon audiences sitting in close proximity. The same goes for sports.

Reactions: BobO'Link

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I actually think they will since their entire source of income is dependent upon audiences sitting in close proximity. The same goes for sports.
I can see that but I don't think it'll be that long of a time (even if it should be) for studios and theater chains to decide that they have get back to making money. Maybe sports and concerts will have to wait longer because that's thousands of people in close proximity but I think theaters will have seating that spaces people out like they were instituting before the shutdown.

Tino

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Valentino
AMC CEO hopes theaters will reopen by mid-June, optimistic moviegoers will return in droves
KEY POINTS
  • AMC’s CEO hopes that locations will be able to open by mid-June.
  • Adam Aron, CEO of AMC Entertainment, admits that it is unclear exactly when the movie theater industry will be back on its feet in the wake of the coronavirus, but he’s certain moviegoers will be eager to return to cinemas.
  • Because of theater closures across the country and internationally, studios have been vacating their release dates through June and July.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/amc-ceo-hopes-theaters-will-open-by-mid-june-moviegoers-will-return.html

Wayne_j

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Wayne
I just wonder what movies they will be showing. Studios have been moving releases like crazy.

Reactions: TravisR

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I honestly think mid-June is wishful thinking but I understand they need to have a business plan in place should that actually prove feasible. And I would venture to guess that if the chains reopened which amounts to putting thousands of screens back in play, at least one studio will be more than happy to give them something. If anything, they may be competing against each other to provide theaters with better terms than they’re used to because all sides are hurting and need to get this done, and everyone is going to want a bit of that return boom business.

On the other hand, if one or all of the chains decide to open at a time that doing so would be going against the consensus for public health and safety, I can see studios being unwilling to supply any product, because again, the headline of “Outbreak cluster traced to theatrical screening of this movie at that place (insert movie title/theater chain here)” would be catastrophic.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
I honestly think mid-June is wishful thinking but I understand they need to have a business plan in place should that actually prove feasible. And I would venture to guess that if the chains reopened which amounts to putting thousands of screens back in play, at least one studio will be more than happy to give them something.
Yeah, the studios have a vested interest in people returning to theaters too so I'd imagine that they'll give them something to play. My guess is that early on, they'll play some big hits from the past few years. That way there'd be no risk because there won't be any real ad campaign and the movie will have already turned a profit so it's attractive to the studios.

If AMC is saying mid-June, I have to imagine that the reality will be a little later than that. Fingers crossed that everyone will be able to safely see Tenet in July.

Chip_HT

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Chip
I assume that most of the delays from the back half of the summer are due to post-production being suspended and/or allowing the April/May releases to get screen time. Not as much of expecting the theaters to still be closed at that point.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohantbhena