Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ok. I’ll say it. I’ve never been to a drive in theater. :(
I’ve only been once. The Fugitive in ‘94. I remember having a good time. But even as a kid I remember preferring the ambience and quality control of an indoor theater over an outdoor one.

Reactions: Tino

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The drive-in was dead by the time I was seeing movies so I've never been to one either. Today, the closest one to me is about 50 miles away and they only have 35mm (so nothing new). They've consistently had a great assortment of movies that have tempted me to go but I hate driving too much to drive 50 miles for what is bound to be a lackluster presentation. That being said, the distance is the much bigger issue because if I lived closer to it, I'd be there multiple times a week.

I live in suburban Philadelphia and for new movies at a drive-in, it'd probably be closer to drive to New Jersey or maybe even New York.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, the holes in the screen, the barely-maintained projector with a weak lamp, the tinny sound either through a mono window speaker or weak FM signal, the bugs, the heat/cold, the rain, people walking by all the time to restrooms/concession, the headlights/exhaust from cars coming and going during the movie, etc.

Good times!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yep, the holes in the screen, the barely-maintained projector with a weak lamp, the tinny sound either through a mono window speaker or weak FM signal, the bugs, the heat/cold, the rain, people walking by all the time to restrooms/concession, the headlights/exhaust from cars coming and going during the movie, etc.

Good times!
Could probably get that at the occasional summer outdoor screenings at nearby Prospect Park over here in Brooklyn... just w/out the cars. Actually, sounds like they might be a bit better at the Park...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Man, I just found out that my local theater is now closed for good because Goodrich Quality theaters filed for bankruptcy back in February. The company found new owners, but my local theater which was built in 2014, is not among the theaters that are now part of the new company which opened their theaters this month. It's amazing that a theater complex just six years old was not part of the new ownership agreement.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
^To answer the question in the headline, a fuck ton.
I would answer the same, in spite of not attending the movie theater in over a decade.

Though I have to wonder if this view is shared by younger folks who are not hardcore into superhero movies.

Anecdotally, I have notice my younger relatives and their friends have very little to no interest in going to the theater. The only times they ever went to the theater, was when they were kids where their parents brought them to a matinee of a cartoon/animated movie. Once they were teenagers, they didn't go to the theater at all on their own. (Not even with friends on a friday night).

Reactions: Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Man, I just found out that my local theater is now closed for good because Goodrich Quality theaters filed for bankruptcy back in February. The company found new owners, but my local theater which was built in 2014, is not among the theaters that are now part of the new company which opened their theaters this month. It's amazing that a theater complex just six years old was not part of the new ownership agreement.
Could just be a bad location with disappointing revenue/high expenses? I know Lowe's built a brand new big box store in a town in my area a few years ago, then decided to close it just 14 months later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Could just be a bad location with disappointing revenue/high expenses? I know Lowe's built a brand new big box store in a town in my area a few years ago, then decided to close it just 14 months later.
That could be, I wasn't going back anytime soon anyway, but I have about $300 worth of gift cards that are now worthless.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Maybe you can get your money back since they will no longer have a presence in your area? It would be worth a try.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979