Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There’s a reason the industry and their digital and retail partners have been offering preorders of the home version starting on the day the film opens theatrically.
Which raises the question, where is the Blu-ray pre-order for Tenet?

I know this isn't what your original post was about, but I've been wondering for a while if the lack of currently available pre-orders indicates that they are actually going to try a longer than 90 day window on this. Presumably, the reason for that would be to get it in theaters in NY and LA first. But, since no one knows when those markets are going to be able to open, I think it would make more sense to release the disc in December at the conclusion of the 90-day window in hopes of holiday sales. I'm still interested in blind buying it when it is available. I think that it will overperform on home entertainment, especially in relation to other films within its gross range, because a bunch of people who won't go out to the theater right now will want to check it out on disc or streaming.f. But if they push the home release too far into next year, they risk that want-to-see factor dissipating before it arrives.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The related question is when they raise the white flag and admit it's not worth waiting for other big markets to reopen.

Not seeing a movie is by no means a cross to bear in the current environment, but I don't like it. I'm usually the first in my friend group to see everything and then my friends ask me what's worth going to see. It does feel very strange to not be in that position right now. I'm looking forward to the home release so that I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on this anymore.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The related question is when they raise the white flag and admit it's not worth waiting for other big markets to reopen.

Not seeing a movie is by no means a cross to bear in the current environment, but I don't like it. I'm usually the first in my friend group to see everything and then my friends ask me what's worth going to see. It does feel very strange to not be in that position right now. I'm looking forward to the home release so that I don't have to feel like I'm missing out on this anymore.
Maybe it won't be that long... since schools are finally all reopening, including here in NYC, and the Covid-19 situation will very likely spike at least somewhat.

For instance, NY just had its highest number of new positive cases since June exceeding 1K yesterday (as reported today) even though NYC public schools haven't actually reopened for (partial) in-person just yet (though DOE staffs/teachers have been going into schools for a little while to prep... and remote had already begun). I also had to cancel my family's short vacay to Rhode Island this long weekend (pretty much last minute back on Wed) because RI's rate climbed just enough to be put on most NE states' quarantine list, including NY's, again -- last time that happened was for just 1(?) week in early Aug.

And as the Met Opera's already cancelation of this entire new season would further indicate (though they aren't quite the same as movie industry... and Carnegie Hall, et al have yet to do likewise, but likely aren't far behind), all signs are increasingly pointing towards NYC theaters remaining closed for quite some time, if not (quite) necessarily indefinitely until a viable vaccine. Cuomo definitely won't want to risk it (at least for NYC metro area), and neither will most of the other folks in NYS/NYC govts me thinks.

Hopefully, things don't get bad enough for another (near) complete shutdown again. Lots of businesses, especially restaurants, definitely cannot withstand another such shutdown -- don't even know if many can survive w/ the current status quo when winter hits and outdoors dining likely get shuttered (not that there's a whole lot of that business right now anyway)...

_Man_

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The schedule for the remainder of the 2020 season at the Malta Drive-in is the following:

October 2&3:
Screen 1: Raiders of the Lost Ark / Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Screen 2: Back to the Future 1, 2, 3

October 9 & 10:
Screen 1: Hotel Transylvania / Hocus Pocus
Screen 2: The Shining / The Exorcist

October 16 & 17:
Screen 1: Coco / The Corpse Bride
Screen 2: Poltergeist / Pet Semetary

October 23 & 24:
Screen 1: The Nightmare Before Christmas / Beetlejuice
Screen 2: It / Killer Klowns from Outer Space

October 31:
Screen 1: Halloween / Friday the 13th / A Nightmare on Elm Street
Screen 2: Night of the Living Dead / Dawn of the Dead / Day of the Dead.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I don't want to get into politics here so am going to ask this very generally. By "without restrictions," do you mean that movie theaters in Florida would be allowed to operate at 100% capacity? If so, that seems potentially very bad.
Here in Indiana (as of Saturday) 100% capacity is now allowed for pretty much everything except events of more than 500 people.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here in Indiana (as of Saturday) 100% capacity is now allowed for pretty much everything except events of more than 500 people.
Man, that's depressing. It's ridiculous. This is just asking for trouble. 100% capacity should not be allowed anywhere again until after there is a vaccine widely available.

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: Sean Bryan and Tino

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Now I can actually say I've known a COVID survivor and a COVID casualty.
For those who still think this is just like a flu that only kills people you don't know.
200,000+ and counting.
And we'll be counting well into next year.
Idiocracy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just read that the worldwide death total is over 1 million, and the United States accounts for 1/5th of that count.

And movie theaters here should still be open because...?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Look guys: we get it.

COVID is dangerous.

No one here who has gone to movies or thinks it's okay for them to be open says otherwise. I've yet to see a single "eff your mask, loser!" COVIDiot in this thread.

But we have differences of opinions on how risky attending movies is.

Can't we just accept that without the incessant "DOOM!!!!" posts?

I'm interested in this thread for a discussion of what's going on with Hollywood in the time of COVID and other experiences, but the frequent posts about how you'll die if you even use the letters "A", "M" and "C" in a sentence got old weeks ago...

Reactions: steve jaros

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Point to one post in this thread that has said that. C’mon dude.....:rolleyes:
It's an obvious exaggeration for effect. Didn't think anyone would take the comment literally. <_<

My point remains: much of this thread is simply people telling us over and over and over that going to movies is a terrible idea.

We get it. Point made - repeatedly.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dynz