Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Doesn’t change the fact that close to 200,000 people are dead from it unfortunately. :(
Yes, that's true. Knowing that my state's 700 cases per day, are really only 70 cases per day (in terms of being contagious) definitely eases my mind quite a bit though. I'll still absolutely wear my mask, but that article totally changed my outlook.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
They're not false positives per se. Just not likely contagious (at least not at the time of testing).

The real problem is that flawed idea/sense of what "positive" means. Generally, all this stuff operates in a continuum, but we, especially bureaucrats, tend to prefer the quick-and-simple (and often sloppy) "yes/no" answer for decision making. That works well enough for a lot of things, but apparently not for this.

_Man_
Agreed, although if 90% of the positive tests don't have any active virus, that would seem to meet the definition of a false positive.

It makes it impossible to compare our numbers with the rest of the world when they are using 30 cycles and we are using 40.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yes, that's true. Knowing that my state's 700 cases per day, are really only 70 cases per day (in terms of being contagious) definitely eases my mind quite a bit though. I'll still absolutely wear my mask, but that article totally changed my outlook.
Those are only the ones that have been tested, though. There are a lot of people who may have it and not know it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Agreed, although if 90% of the positive tests don't have any active virus, that would seem to meet the definition of a false positive.

It makes it impossible to compare our numbers with the rest of the world when they are using 30 cycles and we are using 40.
It's not clear what exactly that estimated "90%" are since the detailed data are actually not available. They certainly aren't all inactive virus, but likely many-to-most of them are just too low count at the time of testing to be contagious (or for victims to feel any effect). Could mean many of them eventually develop toward a more significant level... or not.

I wonder if many-to-most end up having their immune systems catalyzed enough (by such very low loads) to become better at fighting the virus off before victims feel significantly sick (perhaps almost akin to getting vaccinated)... and if so, that would be great news. But we just don't know at this time. We (or rather the medical scientific community) needs more complete data... though this discovery is still likely a good one even if it would've been much better if they realized and operated accordingly all along...

_Man_

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Dr. Fauci Predicts Theatergoers Will Need to Wear Masks Until Mid- to Late 2021

I joined a Zoom meeting last week and an epidemiologist who knows Dr. Fauci, and is currently working on the manufacture of the vaccine, described all the components going into the vaccine and their purpose; the timetable (lucky if we had by Christmastime, lucky if we had by early 2021); then the roll out; then the efficacy, which is still an unknown factor; then the potency (one shot, two shots, how long will the antibodies last, so many unknowns); so basically, yes, Dr. Fauci is right, because after the Zoom meeting was over, I turned to my wife and said:
We are not going to the opera in the Spring; we are not going to our annual trip to the Library of Congress in June; and we'll be lucky if there's a Fall opera season. So let's target for a return to normalcy by late 2021, early 2022.
So my takeaway from the epidemiologist and Fauci mesh. And I trust them more than I trust you know who and Dr. Atlas, the radiologist.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately that’s what I’ve expected from the beginning. Or maybe fortunately, because mentally I’ve been prepared for that. I think a lot of people have really associated this pandemic with “2020” and have this wishful thinking/magical hope that once the calendar turns, this will go away with it. I worry about how people who have been hanging on to the idea that it ends this year do when the calendar flip doesn’t change anything.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tino

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
  • Agreed
Reactions: Tino

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
if ever again.
I expect to go again, but I don't think it will be soon. I have not seen the last movie I will ever see in a movie theater. Once it is safe, going to a movie will be the first leisure activity that I want to do, and the idea of that is keeping me sane through this time, when I am still essentially in lockdown at my house. But I'm not going to do that until it's safe to go once again without a mask.

I have no problem with the idea of wearing a mask for essential errands, but I feel like if a mask is required, it's probably not somewhere I should be for an extended period of time, which would knock out movies. I also feel like I'd rather be comfortable while watching the movie, which means watching it at home on my television where I don't have to wear a mask.

If it takes a long time for moviegoing to return to normal, then that's too bad, but it is what it is. Until then, if big movies continue to come out, I'll be buying a lot more Blu-rays as blind purchases than I normally would.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I worry about how people who have been hanging on to the idea that it ends this year do when the calendar flip doesn’t change anything.
I do not expect this to be gone by January, but I still can't wait for 2020 to be over. You're right that the calendar won't change things. But scientists are still working to do the things that science does. So every day we get a tiny little bit closer to the day that this will eventually end. January 2021 isn't going to change anything, but it will be ever so marginally closer to the vaccine than we are right now. So that's something.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyone know why a drive in theater wouldn't be able to show The Breakfast Club? When I checked my local drive-in's schedule earlier in the week they showed they were showing Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club. I just went to order my ticket for tonight and it was for Pretty in Pink and St. Elmos Fire.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone know why a drive in theater wouldn't be able to show The Breakfast Club?
That would only make sense if the studio didn't want to provide it, but I can't imagine why that would be an issue, particularly if it was already advertised. Warner has made stipulation of drive-ins regarding Tenet, and Judd Apatow decided that he didn't want drive-ins to get The King of Staten Island earlier this summer. But both of those are new movies. Since all of the titles you mentioned are catalog movies anyway, that's very strange.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm not really complaining, I haven't seen St Elmo's Fire in decades and I saw The Breakfast Club in the past 2-3 years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's not a good idea. After they allegedly generated $100 million in PVOD rentals form Trolls World Tour, I expected Universal to take Croods to PVOD as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo