What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course there's some risk - never said there wasn't.

I just think the risk is less substantial than you do.

If I'm in a large room with 12 other people, all of whom sit 10 feet or more from me, I think the risk is minimal...
It’s that kind of “thinking” that’s dangerous imo. As the wise @TonyD says above.........:emoji_mask:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Of course there's some risk - never said there wasn't.

I just think the risk is less substantial than you do.

If I'm in a large room with 12 other people, all of whom sit 10 feet or more from me, I think the risk is minimal...
It’s that kind of “thinking” that’s dangerous imo. As the wise @TonyD says above.........:emoji_mask:

Probably depends on exactly how large the room (and how air is circulated) and whether people are really 10ft-plus apart and also wearing masks (at least 95% of the time) — I’m not aware that’s the case in most/all the theaters reopening re: spacing nor masks.

Reduced risk helps, but isn’t necessarily minimal (enough... to be worth going)...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It is absolutely possible that someone could go to a movie and not get the virus and be fine.

However, it Is also absolutely possible that someone could go to a movie and get the virus and come out and spread it around to other people before falling seriously ill themselves.

Unfortunately, you don't know which outcome will be yours until after you have decided to accept the risk, and to make everyone else you come into contact with for the following two weeks accept the risk as well.

I don't like those odds.

So for now I'm staying home.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure going to the theater is any riskier than indoor dining or going shopping or to a gym, all of which people around here have been doing for months (including me) with no reported outbreaks. Some parts of the country are doing better than others with virus control.

Most of the issues around here have been related to private events, such as family parties or weddings, where people don't seem to take any precautions and there are often people from multiple states present.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm not sure going to the theater is any riskier than indoor dining or going shopping or to a gym, all of which people around here have been doing for months (including me) with no reported outbreaks...
Stores, restaurants, bars and gyms have all been the site of outbreaks somewhere, but I haven't heard anything about cinemas yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure going to the theater is any riskier than indoor dining or going shopping or to a gym, all of which people around here have been doing for months (including me) with no reported outbreaks.
I'd be more concerned with going to a movie theater because I'd be in that one contained area for 3 hours. I go to Target, I'm usually out of there in under 10 minutes (pandemic or no pandemic). I haven't been to a restaurant since this started but the max I'd probably spend in there is maybe an hour and a half. I would assume that the more time I spend in a place like a theater, the greater the chance of getting infected is.

Stores, restaurants, bars and gyms have all been the site of outbreaks somewhere, but I haven't heard anything about cinemas yet.
I don't think theaters have been open long enough yet or had a large enough audience to become as risky as those other places. I don't know the stats but I'd guess that the majority of places that have had outbreaks (especially bars) is due in large part because they haven't followed social distancing guidelines, had too many people in there, no masks, etc. Hopefully, the precautions that theaters are taking will keep them safe though.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I don't think theaters have been open long enough yet or had a large enough audience to become as risky as those other places...
They have internationally, and there hasn't been an outbreak that has been traced back to cinemas. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't, or won't, happen.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I thought a few months ago China opened theaters and then closed them within a week because of a rise in cases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They have internationally, and there hasn't been an outbreak that has been traced back to cinemas. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't, or won't, happen.

The missing piece to that equation is that internationally, case numbers are much better than they are domestically. Additionally, the idea of wearing a mask, practicing social distancing and other common sense safety measures aren’t facing armed and violent resistance internationally.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Dwayne Johnson and his whole family recently recovered from the virus.

"I could tell you that this has been one of the most challenging and difficult things we have ever had to endure as a family, and for me, too, personally as well.”

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Let’s just agree to disagree. Strongly.

I have no problem with disagreement. I have a problem when I'm essentially accused of being some know-nothing who's paid no attention to the information and is just putting himself and others at risk based on ignorance...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have no problem with disagreement. I have a problem when I'm essentially accused of being some know-nothing who's paid no attention to the information and is just putting himself and others at risk based on ignorance...
:thumbsup:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd be more concerned with going to a movie theater because I'd be in that one contained area for 3 hours. I go to Target, I'm usually out of there in under 10 minutes (pandemic or no pandemic). I haven't been to a restaurant since this started but the max I'd probably spend in there is maybe an hour and a half. I would assume that the more time I spend in a place like a theater, the greater the chance of getting infected is.

Sure, longer potential exposure is worse - that's obvious.

But the nature of the potential exposure also needs to be considered.

On the average, indoor restaurant seems riskier than movie theater. Smaller space, masks off the whole time, lots of talking, face-to-face interaction, etc.

Movie theaters? Everyone faces the same way, no talking, more spread out.

Also, bigger room so recirculated air seems less likely to be a factor.

Again, no one claims there's no risk to movie theaters. I'm going again but doing my best to minimize - ie, only going when the audiences are small.

I was gonna see "Tenet" opening night but didn't want to be in a room with 70 others. I'll wait until I can go when there's like 12-15 people, max.

Also keeping on mask when not eating. Others have been great about that - I've seen no one maskless at the 3 movies I've seen.

I get there's a risk. I just don't view this as a "death wish" or anything as horrifying as some others think...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I get there's a risk. I just don't view this as a "death wish" or anything as horrifying as some others think...
I don’t think anyone views going to theater as a “death wish”. It just much riskier for some of us with underlying conditions. Do you have any underlying conditions Colin?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks