Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Yes. As announced this week, Avatar sequels are set in the pre-Christmas slot on even years from 2022-2028, with Star Wars on odd years from 2023-2027.
I’m mostly referring to films with specific dates in 2021. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the SW films and the Avatar films are delayed again.

• Sad
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I really hope you're wrong, because I really hope there is a vaccine and it is safe at some point in 2021. Of course, all of this is theoretical and no one knows anything at this point. But I have to hope you're wrong because if we're not out of this in 2021, the world is going to be much worse off than it already is and I just need to hope for something better than this.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I really hope you're wrong, because I really hope there is a vaccine and it is safe at some point in 2021. Of course, all of this is theoretical and no one knows anything at this point. But I have to hope you're wrong because if we're not out of this in 2021, the world is going to be much worse off than it already is and I just need to hope for something better than this.
I hope I’m wrong too.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I’m mostly referring to films with specific dates in 2021. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the SW films and the Avatar films are delayed again.
I think that Avatar 2 and 3 will definitely make their new release dates because they've now got an extra year and they've been shooting together for a couple years. That extra year should also mean that that Taika Waititi Star Wars movie (I'm assuming that's the next SW) also makes it on time too. After that, it may get a little shaky. :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Back from seeing Grease at the local drive-in. I went with my mother so she didn't want to stay for Footloose so I will watch that at home tomorrow.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This weekend my drive-in is showing Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Beverly Hills Cop.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Regal is claiming they will reopen August 21st with catalogue films and whatever new movies actually open.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
August 21 is the current release date for Unhinged, so they will have at least one new thing to program. Whether anyone wants to go risk coronavirus to watch Russell Crowe in a road rage movie is another question, but as of right now it should be available for Regal to book.

Reactions: Richard M S

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
AMC will offer 15 cent tickets in celebration of it's 100th Anniversary on August 20th at its theaters that open that day. Over 100 of their theaters reopen on August 20th. Another 300 will open over the following two weeks. I will not go a theater yet. They will also offer $5 tickets to see classics like The Empire Strikes Back, Back To The Future, and Grease.

I hope they will not permit people to enter theaters once the lights go out. You don't need people stumbling over others trying to find their seat. I haven't gone to a theater with reserved seating since the 1960's roadshows so I am not even sure this is still a problem.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/amc-en...100th-anniversary-1203012272/#comment-2908056

List of AMC theaters and dates they plan to reopen by state. Some states like New York have no opening date listed as local regulations do not permit theaters to open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
AMC will offer 15 cent tickets in celebration of it's 100th Anniversary on August 20th at its theaters that open that day. Over 100 of their theaters reopen on August 20th. Another 300 will open over the following two weeks. I will not go a theater yet. They will also offer $5 tickets to see classics like The Empire Strikes Back, Back To The Future, and Grease.

I hope they will not permit people to enter theaters once the lights go out. You don't need people stumbling over others trying to find their seat. I haven't gone to a theater with reserved seating since the 1960's roadshows so I am not even sure this is still a problem.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/amc-en...100th-anniversary-1203012272/#comment-2908056

List of AMC theaters and dates they plan to reopen by state. Some states like New York have no opening date listed as local regulations do not permit theaters to open.

Going by the list, these are the states where they aren't allowed to open:

AZ, CA, DC, MD, NJ, NM, NY, NC, and WA

Michigan must be divided by regions. The only AMC opening there is way in the Northern part of the state, while the rest remain closed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Going by the list, these are the states where they aren't allowed to open:

AZ, CA, DC, MD, NJ, NM, NY, NC, and WA
Just New York and California being closed is enough to make me question the sanity of any studio opening a movie now. I get that DIsney is just dumping The New Mutants but Warner Brothers must be planning to either do Universal's PVOD plan or Disney's put-it-on-the-streaming-service-and-charge-extra-for-it plan. How else can they possibly try to make up for the hundreds of millions that they're going to lose to limited capacity seating and states still being closed?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Just New York and California being closed is enough to make me question the sanity of any studio opening a movie now. I get that DIsney is just dumping The New Mutants but Warner Brothers must be planning to either do Universal's PVOD plan or Disney's put-it-on-the-streaming-service-and-charge-extra-for-it plan. How else can they possibly try to make up for the hundreds of millions that they're going to lose to limited capacity seating and states still being closed?
In the big picture, California and New York don't make a huge percentage of difference. International will bring in 70% of the box office total. So of the remaining 30%, California and NY make up roughly 18% of the U.S. population. Those are just rough figures, but that puts the NY/CA as a loss of around 5% of the total worldwide gross. When you throw in the other states like NJ, AZ, NC, etc, they're probably going to lose a total of about 10% by releasing it now. I think Warner is probably willing to take a 10% hit and keep the normal revenue streams as opposed to the tiny amount they would make on VOD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the big picture, California and New York don't make a huge percentage of difference. International will bring in 70% of the box office total. So of the remaining 30%, California and NY make up roughly 18% of the U.S. population. Those are just rough figures, but that puts the NY/CA as a loss of around 5% of the total worldwide gross. When you throw in the other states like NJ, AZ, NC, etc, they're probably going to lose a total of about 10% by releasing it now. I think Warner is probably willing to take a 10% hit and keep the normal revenue streams as opposed to the tiny amount they would make on VOD.
I assume Europe & Asia are enforcing social distancing and limiting seating but are any states allowing theaters to be fully open now though? I live in PA and theaters, restaurants, etc. are limited to 25% capacity. That small of a number is a serious impediment to making the kind of money that is needed to have Tenet turn a profit. Warners will have to use VOD in some form to compensate for the millions that they will definitely lose by opening now.

If there was no pandemic, I'd say VOD wasn't too big of a deal but it is now. It's anecdotal but all I see on social media is people saying how they won't go to a movie theater now and how studios should release every movie online. There's plenty of entitlement in there but the studios are going to capitalize on the demand for home viewing and it'll eventually destroy movie theaters.

Reactions: Tino

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I assume Europe & Asia are enforcing social distancing and limiting seating but are any states allowing theaters to be fully open now though? I live in PA and theaters, restaurants, etc. are limited to 25% capacity. That small of a number is a serious impediment to making the kind of money that is needed to have Tenet turn a profit...
Theatres have been open in Canada for a couple of weeks, but capacity is limited to 20-40%, depending on the province, as rules vary by jurisdiction.

Reactions: TravisR

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I assume Europe & Asia are enforcing social distancing and limiting seating but are any states allowing theaters to be fully open now though?
I can't speak as to anywhere else, but here in Indiana we are at 75%.

That small of a number is a serious impediment to making the kind of money that is needed to have Tenet turn a profit. Warners will have to use VOD in some form to compensate for the millions that they will definitely lose by opening now.
There won't be any VOD for at least 75 days because it's playing at AMC, Regal and Cinemark. It's in their contract. The box office numbers will certainly be interesting to watch.

If there was no pandemic, I'd say VOD wasn't too big of a deal but it is now. It's anecdotal but all I see on social media is people saying how they won't go to a movie theater now and how studios should release every movie online. There's plenty of entitlement in there but the studios are going to capitalize on the demand for home viewing and it'll eventually destroy movie theaters.
Maybe. We'll see. Tickets for The Empire Strikes Back at my local AMC just went on sale this morning and they're already selling much faster than I would have thought.

There's just no money in VOD, except for family films. Even at that, I expect Mulan to totally tank at that $30 price tag.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There won't be any VOD for at least 75 days because it's playing at AMC, Regal and Cinemark. It's in their contract. The box office numbers will certainly be interesting to watch.
If that's the case, you can bet that Wonder Woman and Dune won't be coming out this year. There's no way that Warners isn't going to maximize every cent possible in every way possible after the brutal beating they'll take on Tenet.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If that's the case, you can bet that Wonder Woman and Dune won't be coming out this year. There's no way that Warners isn't going to maximize every cent possible in every way possible after the brutal beating they'll take on Tenet.
Capacity isn't a problem though. With so few films coming out, there's excess screens available. A film that opens at a 14-plex that would have had 4-5 screens of Wonder Woman can now have 8-10 screens.

I do agree though that if they delay it, it'll just get delayed rather than go to PVOD. They would take a much bigger bath going that route.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan