Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
In the title of that article, it asks the question "What's the cost?" The answer is nothing. From the article,
Film executives privately estimate that pushing “Mulan” or “Tenet” a few weeks at a time could amount to losing $200,000 to $400,000 in marketing fees — essentially negligible costs for a major studio in the grand scheme of unveiling a new movie. Depending on various factors, that number could increase to just under $5 million if they are delayed again without sufficient notice. That’s because the bulk of a film’s promotional and advertising efforts run in the two weeks prior to its release. So far, the release date changes have fallen outside that window.
They obviously know enough to keep bumping the date before they start the ad campaign.

Reactions: Tino

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I re-watched all the 1989-1997 Batman films over the past 10 days or so. Haven't watched them for quite a long time. The first two were still great fun. The last two were worse than I remembered.
I caught Batman Returns on cable TV a few years ago, and geez, that Penguin was so so gross, in light of today's social climate, really really gross. Ewww....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ve felt that about Penguin since I saw it opening night.

Just gross all the way around.
Was he eating fish all the time?
Had some gunk always coming out of his mouth.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Patrick Sun

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Coming up at my local drive-in. Inside Out and Ghostbusters.

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Do folks run their AC in the car all through the running time of the films, or do they roll down the windows and hope for low temps and humidity during the showing?

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
roll down the windows and hope for low temps, it isn't too bad since the movies don't start until after 9PM.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Movie theaters in New Jersey are now taking legal action against their "unconstitutional" forced closure:

Does this really even matter at all? Even if theaters were to open tomorrow, I think the studios and chains are severely overestimating the willingness of the public to return.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Movie theaters in New Jersey are now taking legal action against their "unconstitutional" forced closure:

Does this really even matter at all? Even if theaters were to open tomorrow, I think the studios and chains are severely overestimating the willingness of the public to return.
I have to say that I sorta see their point but I'd say that neither should be reopened yet.

That being said, by the time they get through the courts with this, a vaccine will have been on the market for a year.

• Haha
Reactions: Jake Lipson

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went to check shows and times at the theater here because people here seemingly just don't care (few wear face coverings in public and rarely follow social distancing guidelines). This is on their web site:

1594216259449.png

And just how does that help when you can take off the face covering once you're in the theater? At least the temperature check *might* stop an infected person from entering but those thermal types can also be way off depending on how hot/cold your car or the ambient temperature is.

And there's not a single showing today with no option to check future dates. So I don't know if they're really open or not. FWIW the county (my town has the lions share of the population at ~80%) had 2 new cases yesterday with a 1 in ~200 historical infection penetration.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Halloween Kills got moved to October 15, 2021. That and Tenet are the only movies that I really want to see in the next few months. I know Tenet and Mulan are going to get moved again but I think I'm beginning to agree with the folks who have been saying that movies are done for the year. Maybe theaters will be back around Thanksgiving to cash in on end of the year movies.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least the temperature check *might* stop an infected person from entering but those thermal types can also be way off depending on how hot/cold your car or the ambient temperature is.
The problem with thermal checks is that they only help with a very small percentage of cases. Remember, this is a virus where you can be spreading it to others for up to two weeks before you show symptoms. A temperature check does nothing to prevent contagious people who don’t know they’re sick from spreading it. I also saw that fever is not an indication in a majority of patients - only about 30% of people with active symptoms list fever as being one of those. So while it’s probably better than nothing, temperature checks don’t tell us much and it can’t be assumed that if someone doesn’t have a fever that it’s all good.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Halloween Kills got moved to October 15, 2021.
The problem with Halloween is that has to be pushed back a year, because it's not like a Halloween movie makes sense anywhere on the calendar other than in October. It doesn't make sense to push Halloween to a release date at Thanksgiving or Christmas. So I don't think they had much of a choice on that one. It's also a relatively easy move because Universal already had the 2021 date reserved for the next Halloween after this one, so they could just shift it back without having to worry about bumping up against another big movie.

If Tenet were tied to a specific holiday, they would also have to push that back a year to coincide with the next occurrence of whatever holiday it is. But Tenet does not appear to have anything to do with a specific time of year where it has to come out, so they can just move it back incrementally, even though I think that's ridiculous at this point.

That being said, I do think the sooner that the studios admit that 2020 is over, the sooner they can start the process of rebuilding the 2021 and 2022 schedules to re-accommodate all of these films they are having to delay and figure out what they are going to do to fit all of these films in a post-coronavirus landscape.

Reactions: Tino and TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
The problem with Halloween is that has to be pushed back a year, because it's not like a Halloween movie makes sense anywhere on the calendar other than in October.
Bizarrely, Halloween H20, Halloween: Resurrection and the two Rob Zombie movies came out in the summer. That being said, I had assumed the same that you did that if the movie got bumped, it was inevitable that it would be a full year.

• Haha
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bizarrely, Halloween H20, Halloween: Resurrection and the two Rob Zombie movies came out in the summer.
I suspect they left some money on the table versus what they would have made if released in October.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And theaters should definitely not have to pay rent while being legally prohibited from opening.
In some places, they're not legally prohibited from opening but the studios are not willing to provide them with any new releases since they all seem to want a nationwide 4000-screen opening, or nothing at all. They are not willing to do any regional or platform releases.

Many of the theaters around here were planning to reopen today, but then the studios moved all the new releases again. The constant indecision from the studios is probably going to kill quite a number of theaters.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Many of the theaters around here were planning to reopen today, but then the studios moved all the new releases again. The constant indecision from the studios is probably going to kill quite a number of theaters.
That's another good reason that they should just admit that all of this year's remaining movies are "TBD." It's better to be straight with the theaters -- and saves marketing money and embarrassment -- and not assign anything a date until they know the date can be met.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The local cinema is open today through Sunday offering the same movies as a couple of weeks ago. They've expanded the showings to 2 today and 3 on both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't check for sold seats but people here are not using their brains much so figure there'll be quite a few takers.

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great time seeing Inside Out and Ghostbusters at the drive-in last night. Two fantastic films. The strangest part was that they paused Ghostbusters right after Sigourney Weaver asked Bill Murray if he was the key master so they could ask the owner of a vehicle to move their car from the ice cream shop before it gets towed.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royce Fox