What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
My view is that this CV thing is going to last a pretty long time. Seems like we are really just getting started in terms of impact. Institutions that have announced they are closing for "three weeks" or "until April 20" and the like are IMO being wildly optimistic. WB can forget about releasing WW84 in June. The Tokyo Olympics will not be taking place as scheduled. That's my belief.

I don't expect that things will re-open in the USA until the end of summer. I am 50-50 as to whether the NFL season will start on time in September. Actually I don't think it will.

We are in for a longer haul with this. Several months. Hope I'm wrong but ....
I am mostly in agreement with you. The possible game changer would be the roll out of a successful treatment. Turn this into the flu and people can go back to work. A cough and mild fever I can get over ... death, on the other hand, is more difficult.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some adults who live through this and possible future contagions, will alter their behaviors in a variety of subtle and perhaps not so subtle ways.

Some will just go on blithely like everything is back to normal.

Human nature on the other hand changes very, very slowly and future generations will repeat our mistakes and those of our ancestors. As Colin correctly asserted - 'past is prologue.'

So a mix of scenarios is my prediction. (Cover all the bases and you can't be too wrong. :))

- Walter.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not a chance. Never. Ever.

“Normal” will now forever be defined as Pre Covid-19 and Post Covid-19.

As we discussed in the other thread, it depends on your definition of "normal".

Some things will change, many will not.

I continue to strongly disagree with your apparent belief that society will change radically, mainly because that ignores millennia of human behavior.

But I hope we both survive to find out! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not a chance. Never. Ever.

“Normal” will now forever be defined as Pre Covid-19 and Post Covid-19.

Well you have a strong opinion about this so obviously you have an idea/changes of what you think will be so drastically different when this thing blows over. What are they?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well you have a strong opinion about this so obviously you have an idea/changes of what you think will be so drastically different when this thing blows over. What are they?
Let’s just say I think anything involving crowds will be dramatically different moving forward. Social distancing will become the new norm to an extent. Not as drastic as it is now but also not as lax as it has been in the last.

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone thinks things will go back to the way they were.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As we discussed in the other thread, it depends on your definition of "normal".

Some things will change, many will not.

I continue to strongly disagree with your apparent belief that society will change radically, mainly because that ignores millennia of human behavior.

But I hope we both survive to find out! :)
I only agree with the first and last sentence of this post. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone thinks things will go back to the way they were.
I think it because I've heard how a horrible event will "change things forever" multiple times in my life but I have yet seen that to be the actual outcome. 9/11 was going to change everything forever and the biggest change is that it's a bigger pain in the ass to fly. The Columbine, Virginia Tech and Newton school shootings were going to change everything forever and NOTHING changed there.

If I'm wrong and people start doing things to keep everyone safer, I'm all for it but I just don't see it taking long for people to get back to the way they lived their lives before this.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Name a previous horrible event on this scale.

Does World War II qualify? The world order changed, but human nature did not. Anyone who studied history would have known that the world powers who were dominant at the end of the war would become antagonistic rivals. Even after the fall of the Axis powers and the example they provide for mankind, we have seen a rise in authoritarian regimes around the world.

Sorry, but some folks of my age group continue to be fascinated with all things WWII. :)

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think it because I've heard how a horrible event will "change things forever" multiple times in my life but I have yet seen that to be the actual outcome. 9/11 was going to change everything forever and the biggest change is that it's a bigger pain in the ass to fly. The Columbine, Virginia Tech and Newton school shootings were going to change everything forever and NOTHING changed there.

If I'm wrong and people start doing things to keep everyone safer, I'm all for it but I just don't see it taking long for people to get back to the way they lived their lives before this.
None of the events you mention compare to what is going on right now with Covid-19. Not even close in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks