Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Cineworld (Parent company of Regal) says that they plan to reopen all their theaters world wide in July.
If Regal is reopening, AMC will definitely announce the same thing very soon. The only thing that can stop it is if Warners backs off with Tenet.

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
Lotta folks in this thread who haven't posted their Desert Island lists!

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I’ll bet those combos will be a thing of the past now.
Yeah, I'm curious to see if theaters will still have their $6 ticket days or cheap popcorn combos or the see-all-the-movies-you-want-for-$20-a-month things. With the serious financial hit theaters are taking, I can understand them dropping the deals but at the same time, I could see them keeping them as a way to help get people back in the theaters.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Back in the day, the only time I ever bought "combo" ticket deals were for matinee screenings which included an extra large popcorn bucket with unlimited refills (until the movie is over).

For me it was usually 12 noon screenings, where the only other folks were primarily college kids who didn't have class that day.

Will they offer such combo ticket/popcorm deals like this when theaters open back up?

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note, my arthouse sent out a survey with details about what they are thinking about doing when they reopen. (A date for this has not been set.)

It said:

"When reopen, it will have newly-implemented best practices in place, including (but not limited to) the following: employee health screenings, masks on employees at all times and on customers in the lobby and bathrooms, social distancing guidelines in all spaces, limited capacity with reserved seating to ensure proper distancing between customers inside the theatres, reduced showtimes to ensure ample time for cleaning and disinfecting between screenings, staggered showtimes and separate ingress and egress to reduce customer traffic in the lobby, plexiglass barriers at cashier stations, etc. With these measures and more in place, how likely are you to return tosee a movie in the first three months of its reopening?"

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Not cost effective anymore. I predict price increases across the board on concessions.
I don't. The concessions are already so expensive - they can't just jack 'em up.

In addition, theaters will be so desperate for customers that I might expect more bargains for a while.

I don't believe theaters expect to make money for a while. They need to open and let people get back into the habit and comfortable with the communal experience again...

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I don't. The concessions are already so expensive - they can't just jack 'em up.

In addition, theaters will be so desperate for customers that I might expect more bargains for a while.

I don't believe theaters expect to make money for a while. They need to open and let people get back into the habit and comfortable with the communal experience again...
That'd be my guess too but I'll admit that what Tino is saying isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Reactions: Tino

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
That'd be my guess too but I'll admit that what Tino is saying isn't out of the realm of possibility either.
I guess we'll see soon enough.

I really do find it hard to believe theaters will jack up concession prices given how expensive they are already.

People will be reluctant to go in general - that's not a circumstance where you then make people even MORE reluctant to go due to prices!

Reactions: TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhaibaba