Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, I also had difficulty understand the post. I didn’t know if it meant “I’ll choose to stay home rather than participate in an activity with a mask on” or if it meant “I don’t care if the law says you have to wear a mask, I’ll do what I want and I don’t care who gets hurt”.

And as a general statement I realize that’s not fair to automatically wonder the worst about anyone, particularly our HTF family.

But it’s also confusing and hard to know what conclusion to draw at a time when people are using violence and threats to retail employees in response to local and regional laws requiring the use of masks. That’s where maybe the real world starts leaking in to what’s being said here.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I thought we're all just gonna start streaming day-and-date w/ theatrical release anyway... :P

Afterall, a lot of us had given up going long before this pandemic... so this is yet another (admittedly crucial) reason to pile on...

_Man_

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Means that I don’t know what you’re saying with the previous post.

Does it mean you will go to the movies and not wear a mask or does it mean if you are required to wear a mask that you won’t go to the movies.
It means that I will not go to a movie theater for a long time of course. I will always follow what it is requiered, no need even to say it after all the discussions we had in these forums here.

Wearing a mask is such an uncomfortable thing that I will not mix it with movie watching which is supposed to be a pleasure.

Last edited:

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But it’s also confusing and hard to know what conclusion to draw at a time when people are using violence and threats to retail employees in response to local and regional laws requiring the use of masks. That’s where maybe the real world starts leaking in to what’s being said here.
Have you seen my previous posts! :eek: ;)

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And cinemas can’t really open if patrons don’t wear masks.
Do you really think they would actually be able to enforce the wearing of masks in a dark auditorium? We're talking about the same theaters that can't stop people from pulling out their phones or bringing in their screaming children.

• Agreed
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Out to the movies for the first time since the pandemic really took off!

It's a sold out house. Strange to be around hundreds of people after so long in isolation.

About an hour before the first movie:
20200524_201852.jpg

About 15 minutes before the first movie:
20200524_204528.jpg

Safety first:
IMG_20200524_201633493.jpg

The pre-movie cartoon:
20200524_205208.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Do you really think they would actually be able to enforce the wearing of masks in a dark auditorium? We're talking about the same theaters that can't stop people from pulling out their phones or bringing in their screaming children.
That's why I decided to stop attending classical music concerts long ago too... :rolleyes: and just watch them in my HT... :lol:

Actually, I've tried that w/ the Berlin Philharmonic's streaming service (on free trial) last month, and it's just not remotely the same even though I have a pretty decent system for that... so no plans to pay for a subscription. Opera streaming works alright OTOH mainly because I at least gain some good close-up visuals in the trade-off (w/out needing "opera glasses") and save much more on tix -- Met Opera tix cost 4-5x as much as the bigger Carnegie Hall concerts (and even much more compared to most smaller, more intimate, chamber ones). That's also why I buy some opera on BDs, but not so much regular classical music concerts... though I do occasionally want to check out (mainly soloist) performer technique and such...

_Man_

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Personally, I find wearing a mask very uncomfortable. I have been out of the house exactly twice in the past two months for errands that were unavoidable, and I wore one for both of those because those outings were essential. Otherwise, I have stayed home. If the choice is going to a theater wearing a mask or staying home and waiting for the Blu-ray, I would opt for the latter every time. I understand the necessity of masks at this time but would find it difficult to do that for the entire duration of a movie. As much as I love the theater, I want to be comfortable when I go there, and that does not mean a mask. So I'll just stay home until it's safe to do that again without one.

As has already been mentioned, the theaters won't want you to wear a mask when they open up because they are going to want to sell you food. As we all know, the studio takes a substantial chunk of the money from ticket sales, and heavily marked-up concessions are where the theaters make most of their money. If they were to open up just to screen films without being able to sell concessions, I don't really think that would make any financial sense for them to do.

Reactions: SamT

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear, @Jake Lipson: The masks aren't required at the drive-in when you're inside your vehicle. My friend and I opted to wear masks because we haven't been in close contact with one another since the outbreak started, and he works as a bank teller interacting with the public. If I had been with a roommate or immediate family member, I probably wouldn't have been wearing a mask either.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh, you don't need to justify it to me. If you're more comfortable wearing a mask, then you should. I wasn't directing my comment as a reply specifically to your post, although I can see why you might have thought that because they are sequential. I was speaking more in response to Tino and the others above you who weren't talking about drive-ins nessecarily.

I just don't think it's practical for a movie theater which relies on concession sales to require mask usage, and I also wouldn't find it comfortable personally. It really had nothing to do with the photo of you in a mask.

What movie did you see at the drive-in?

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
What movie did you see at the drive-in?
Double feature of Onward and The Call of the Wild. Enjoyed both. Right now all of the local drive-ins are playing the movies that were in theaters when everything shut down. It'll be interesting to see what happens once they've exhausted those. If the studios are smart, they'll make DCPs of classic films available. Judging by the max capacity tonight, with two movies that are currently available on demand, there's a hunger for outings that can be accomplished safely and the lack of new movies won't necessarily be a deal breaker.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
An interesting "Return to movie theater" survey! I do wonder about them opening things up now and whether the Covid-19 spikes will change some people's minds. I'm going to pay close attention to Covid-19 numbers for June-September. Hell, I'm going to be paying close attention to those numbers going forward until a vaccine is distributed and that it's effective against it.

Reactions: Tino

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This weekend my local drive in (The same one that Adam went to) has an horror slate. "The Wretched" which I have never heard of before and "The Invisible Man" which was a pre covid release.

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Reactions: Jeff Adkins

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member