What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RE: others, I get that you all disagree there's any meaningful differences, and I can see I probably won't convince you otherwise.

So be it... but I do think most of you are falling into false dichotomies and absolutes about much of this... instead of reasonably scrutinizing meaningful details and differences and weighing accordingly.

Ultimately, much of this comes down to risk management, and generally, that doesn't work w/ an overly simplistic, all-or-nothing, one-size-fits-all approach to problems that ignores context and differences...

_Man_
In the coming months, we'll see what happens as they analyze the upcoming spikes that will surely take place with the sudden collapse of social distancing and PPE compliance.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You can argue the severity but I'd say that going out without a mask and DUI are the same in the sense that people have the misconception that they'll be fine if they do it and that both show a high level of disregard for other people. No one hops in a car drunk and thinks that someone will be killed by that action but it can happen. The same goes for not adhering to social distancing rules. It's not really a hard thing to do so to not do it is just selfish.

My main, original point (along this line) was really whether we should make use of certain rules and whether they can be effective enough to help despite lack of perfect compliance.

Most others don't seem to think a mask-wearing rule would help much (for any theater going context). And I was arguing that maybe it can be effective enough to help enough in some contexts like Carnegie Hall concerts while far less so in the avg movie theater setting (and I provided some diffs I saw between those contexts). And also, I wasn't saying that's all that's needed either...

Yes, I do generally agree w/ your point about both being significant disregard, but would disagree w/ the level of disregard if someone is asymptomatic (and not tested positive) not wearing mask vs someone driving while intoxicated.

But either way, I'm for mask-wearing, not against... and think theaters should try requiring that (even though I'm more skeptical of compliance level for avg movie theater contexts). IF I'm wrong, then it simply doesn't benefit Carnegie Hall attendance any more than avg movie theater attendance, but it would at least be tried on top of whatever degree of social distancing in theaters instead of not at all...

_Man_

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My main, original point (along this line) was really whether we should make use of certain rules and whether they can be effective enough to help despite lack of perfect compliance.

Most others don't seem to think a mask-wearing rule would help much (for any theater going context). And I was arguing that maybe it can be effective enough to help enough in some contexts like Carnegie Hall concerts while far less so in the avg movie theater setting (and I provided some diffs I saw between those contexts). And also, I wasn't saying that's all that's needed either...

Yes, I do generally agree w/ your point about both being significant disregard, but would disagree w/ the level of disregard if someone is asymptomatic (and not tested positive) not wearing mask vs someone driving while intoxicated.

_Man_
I'm not sure others were arguing just that specific point!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My wife and I are in our 70s. We are subscribers to the Dallas Opera and to the Houston Grand Opera. We are not renewing our subscriptions even though both institutions are hopeful that they will be presenting production in the Fall. We shan't risk our health. We also visit museums in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston. We won't do that either in the foreseeable future. How can you admire a work of art and be mindful of social distancing? Even with crowd control? It's not worth it. We'll play it safe and stay home as much as possible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Like I keep saying - with no malice and no hard feelings - 2020 for entertainment in public is over. It may not be official yet, but it is for me and I suspect it will be official for everyone before too long.

New tv episodes for this fall season will probably also be delayed too, especially if they can't get insurance + funding. IIRC, actors + crew can spend over 10+ hours filming many scenes together every working day for network tv shows.

It would be somewhat weird making new episodes over zoom, other than as a "one shot" episode or two. For example, such as the season finale of the cbs rookie show "All Rise".

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Academy is considering a postponement of the 2021 Oscars:

As I recall, the governor of California had previously said that live theatre events would be among the last to come back there, and of course the Oscars traditionally involves thousands of people packing into the Dolby Theatre. So this does not surprise me much. They might be able to keep the date In February if they wanted to figure out a way to do it remotely, but there's no way if it involves an in-person mass gathering like usual.

Also, of course, if movie theaters keep pushing back their reopening, there's a question of how many movies would be released and able to be honored. Even though they are now allowing streaming films to compete if they had a theatrical release planned pre-coronavirus, the whole point of the Oscars is to promotemovies, and that would be hard to do until theaters are open again.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Academy is considering a postponement of the 2021 Oscars:

As I recall, the governor of California had previously said that live theatre events would be among the last to come back there, and of course the Oscars traditionally involves thousands of people packing into the Dolby Theatre. So this does not surprise me much. They might be able to keep the date In February if they wanted to figure out a way to do it remotely, but there's no way if it involves an in-person mass gathering like usual.

Also, of course, if movie theaters keep pushing back their reopening, there's a question of how many movies would be released and able to be honored. Even though they are now allowing streaming films to compete if they had a theatrical release planned pre-coronavirus, the whole point of the Oscars is to promotemovies, and that would be hard to do until theaters are open again.
The academy has ruled that anything released on streaming that was originally intended for theaters as long as they are released during the pandemic are Oscar eligible.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The academy has ruled that anything released on streaming that was originally intended for theaters as long as they are released during the pandemic are Oscar eligible.

Right, but the Oscars are used to promote the moviegoing experience. I'm not sure whether they would want to do that in the same way if theaters are still closed next year. We'll have to see what happens.

If they still want to do it in the same way, a remote live show is possible, or a postponement. But there's no way that there will be thousands of celebrities gathered together in the Dolby next February.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, but the Oscars are used to promote the moviegoing experience. I'm not sure whether they would want to do that in the same way if theaters are still closed next year. We'll have to see what happens.

If they still want to do it in the same way, a remote live show is possible, or a postponement. But there's no way that there will be thousands of celebrities gathered together in the Dolby next February.
That much I agree with!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The CDC now proclaims C-19 doesn't get transmitted via surfaces all that easily, so maybe that'll help people not freaking out about encountering surfaces in theaters, restaurants, etc. going forward.

Paramount shipped me the new Tom Cruise 4Ks more than 2 weeks ago, but they never arrived and I never saw them in my FedEx app.

Eventually we figured out that Paramount entered my address incorrectly - FedEx delivered to the written address, but it just wasn't mine.

I discovered this a week after the package arrived, and when I asked my neighbor about it, she'd left it in a pile to "quarantine" for a whole week! :oops:

Okay, I get caution - but leaving packages alone for 7 days because you're worried about contamination? Seems extreme - and who knows how much longer she'd have isolated the package if I'd not come looking for it?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
While it’s good news for sure, especially for grocery shopping, Surface contamination was the least of my worries concerning theaters restaurants etc.

Especially theaters, It’s being in close proximity to people coughing, sneezing, laughing, talking loud etc. So unfortunately these places still need to be avoided for those reasons.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't get a choice as to where I sit in movie theaters -- or at least, I have a very limited choice -- because I need to be in the wheelchair row. Fortunately, typically people will give me a pretty wide berth anyway because they assume I am bringing a companion, which I usually don't, so they tend to avoid the seats next to me. The exception to this is if it's a completely sold out show, but that only happens on opening nights for Avengers or Star Wars films.

Prior to the pandemic, when I went to a movie, I would always pull up next to the wheelchair seat and transfer into the adjacent wheelchair space. I'm thinking that whenever theaters open up again, I will probably just stay in my wheelchair. That way, I don't have to touch anything that's installed in the actual room or sit somewhere where other people have sat, which reduces the risk just a little bit relative to other people who don't bring their own seating and therefore have to sit in the theater's installed chairs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Means that I don’t know what you’re saying with the previous post.

Does it mean you will go to the movies and not wear a mask or does it mean if you are required to wear a mask that you won’t go to the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks