What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I keep seeing ads for Trolls that still say April 10th on them. Are there theaters out there that are still getting new releases if you should so choose to go to them? I was under the impression that pretty much everything was shut down.
They are shut down, but commercials on TV that are already paid for, some times lang behind.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They are putting it out on VOD April 10th. Even when they announced that they said VOD and theaters at the same time. There will be no theaters showing it. The misleading ads are one reason why NATO is upset with Universal about it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Many of them would probably be showing it in 2D and letterboxed on a 1.85 screen anyways (it's in 2.35). Supposedly a 3D Blu-Ray is forthcoming.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I keep seeing ads for Trolls that still say April 10th on them. Are there theaters out there that are still getting new releases if you should so choose to go to them? I was under the impression that pretty much everything was shut down.
I doubt there are any theaters open in a state that has non-essential lockdown orders (I know in Ohio, theaters have been closed for at least a
couple of weeks).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I take that back, last weekend domestic box office was just under $4000 according to box office mojo.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Maybe drive-ins will have a resurgence?

Hopefully the city/county will not drastically increase the property tax on pieces of land which host drive-ins theaters. Otherwise I have to wonder if property tax hikes will end up killing such a business.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
They'd have to build a bunch of them. I live in the DC area and if I wanted to go to a drive-in, I'd have to travel like 2 hours to get there!

In the middle of town in a non-slum area, property prices for a large pieces of land would probably not be cheap.

For desirable pieces of property, I wouldn't be surprised if they're outbidded by developers who want to build apartments, offices, strip malls, etc .... (ie. Decent sources of property taxes for the city/county than a drive-in).

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Wouldn’t drive-ins need concession sales just like regular theaters?
Yea - we have a drive in near us. On their web site they have always had a notice that if people want them to survive they need to buy from the refreshment stand as that is their only profit.
I don't know what they are doing currently.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yea - we have a drive in near us. On there web site they have always had a notice that if people want them to survive they need to buy from the refreshment stand as that is their only profit.
I don't know what they are doing currently.
Even if they are open, could they sell concessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks