What's new

Movieoke, anyone? You GOTTA try it! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Me and my sister got this idea from a article about a New York store.

-First, remove the wiring to the center channel.
-Next, put your favorite DVD in (make sure it has 5.1 surround sound), and turn on the english subtitles.
-Plug in some microphones in the reciever or another audio source.
-Ready? Its MOVIEOKE TIME!

We take separate roles (like Marty for me and Jennifer for my sister in BTTF) and act away our favorite parts, reading the subtitles aloud in all our acting glory. Since the center channel is unplugged, almost 100% of the voices are gone, leaving the subtitles and the music & effects there.

Its REALLY fun. Try it!

My favorite DVD scenes to act out:

-Starship Troopers (Fednet news breaks)
-Total Recall (because acting as Arnold with a bad accent is just too fun)
-Finding Nemo (The Dory "speaking whale" scene is great)
-BTTF (lots of good scenes here)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Sounds great! I'll bring the silica chips if someone else brings the salsa. :)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking to me?

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME? :angry:

I don't see anybody else here, so you MUST be talking to me.

You think I'm funny?

How am I FUNNY?

Do I AMUSE you? Am I a CLOWN to you?

Just what the FUCK is funny about ME?? :angry: :angry: :angry:

:)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ooh! Ooh! I call "dibs" on Spock's death scene.

"Ship, out of danger?"

"Yes. You SAVED the ship."

"Do not grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many... outweigh..."

"...the needs of the few..."

"...or the one."

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I would like to try this also.

Is there any way to mute the center channel and leave the surround one on or do you have to take out the wires?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I used to do this back in the 80's with regular tv. A friend and I would over-dub the visuals with our own VO and simultaneously record it to the VCR.

There was this guy playing piano on PBS and he was so dorky looking. I hooked up my keyboard to the mixer (that was plugged into the VCR) and started playing REALLY badly. The faster he played, the faster I played too...and all the while, my friend would whisper stuff like "man, he really sucks!"

:laugh: it was pretty funny.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

:laugh: :laugh: That's great, because I used to do that too!!! But we used video tapes of shows or movies we taped from cable. My favorite things that we redubbed were Doctor Who episodes. God, those were great times as a kid. We got the idea from a show that was on Nickelodeon, I don't remember the name. In episode someone went up to Daniel Boone and said about his racoon hat, "Hey, nice hat." "Hat? What hat? This is the way my hair grows." Well, it was hysterical at the time!:D

I think the movieoke might be the next event we add to our Home Theater Meets.:emoji_thumbsup:

David Galindo

Screenwriter

On my Sony reciever, you can turn it down quite a bit, but not mute it entirely. So I had to remove the wires for the full effect.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats funny. That reminds me of when a friend of mine and I rented a literal bomb, a zero out of 10 movie. My friend and I had our own movie-oke, only, we made up the text. We hated the movie so badly, that we made up lines mocking the movie. I think it was "My Life, or something like it". It was a movie with Sarah Polly and it was so bad it was like sticking hot needles in your eyes, cutting yourself and pouring vinegar on your cuts or smelling really bad flatulance....it was so bad we were laughing and crying at how bad of a pick the DVD was. For us to have choosen it at the video store, we thought we were morons. Anyways....we were dubbing lines over the actors (actually I just pressed mute) and we talked back and forth. If you ever get a movie thats so bad, its like watching a train wreck, as in, you can't look away because you wonder if its going to get worse or somehow have some tiny good part, then I highly suggest "muting mockery"...

Anyways...Movie-oke sounds like a funny idea. Perhaps with some Pizza and beer and a bunch of friends, you could have lots of fun.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Thank you. This info will come in real handy. Just bought a 6.1 cheapo system for my classroom. The kids don't know it yet, but they just got an additional assignment. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Get this DVD:

And you can see Star Wars fiends movieokeing on the public streets of New York City. :D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Okay, who's in Toronto who wants to try this with me?

I'm going to do a test run with the Star Wars SE LDs one night this week to see how good it sounds (there's no subtitle track, but I believe the discs are closed captioned, so that should be good enough.

If it's funny enough, I'll record the results and post them somewhere.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I wish I could be in Toronto to try it out with you, but I was going down to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters. :frowning:

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'm in Toronto but would have difficulty joining you. Nonetheless, please do post the results. I'd love to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks