What's new

Movie you just couldn't sit through... (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, is there one? I can think of three offhand...
The Astronaut's Wife - As soon as I figured out that Charlize Theron wasn't gonna get naked, I bailed out on this sleeping pill of a movie.
i am sam or: how to waste sean penn, michelle pfeiffer and a really cute kid - I somehow managed to sit through the first 2/3 of this cloying and predictable tripe.
The Musketeer - I sat through half of this dismal exercise in how not to remake a classic. Even Tim Roth was boring. Bleah!
Honorable mentions:
Julien Donkey-Boy - I'll never know how I managed to sit through this dreary freakshow. Directed by Harmony "I can't afford real equipment so I'll say it's a Dogma 95 film" Korine. Bonus points to Harmony for wasting the talents of Werner Herzog and Chloe Sevigny.
Holy Smoke - Kept waiting for Kate Winslet to get naked again. :b
And my three favorite whipping-boys:
Gladiator - I did manage to squirm my way through this colossal bore in the theater. Gave it a second chance when it hit video but could only make it through the first 20 minutes.
Armageddon - Sat through this in the theater trying to spot my brother-in-law who was an extra. Didn't see him and hit the door running as soon as the credits started.
Batman & Robin - Bastards played this first at a sneak preview of Contact. :angry:

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I don't remember ever bailing out of a movie, no matter how bad it was. I figure that you can't really tell how bad a movie is if you only saw parts of it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Oh yes you can.
Case in point: Minority Report (recognized the quote in your sig). Skip the last third and you might think it's a pretty good movie. Seriously. :)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I usually try and sit through everything. I can't make an honest opinion of it till it's over. Sometimes to make an opinion of a movie I even have to watch it twice because my opinion can change very easily. Think of it this way, about 5 years back I hated Dawn of the Dead first time I saw it. Watched it again before I had to return it to the video store and it became my favorite film of all time.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I usually try and sit through everything. I can't make an honest opinion of it till it's over.
Yeah, but your tolerance for sitting through crap goes down the older you get.
And just to show that I'm not picking solely on modern films:
The Lower Depths - I love Kurosawa, but.....this......movie.......moves.........so.... ......slow.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't quite make it through Dead Alive. The last 30 minutes were just a bit too much of the same old crap. I was getting nausious.

I have never been able to survive Bringing out the Dead and Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I'm not really sure why. I rarely give up on a film.

I almost forgot, The Sicilian rendered me completely unconscious.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
God, how could I forget about The Sicilian? Didn't they revoke Cimino's DGA membership for that one?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Oh no, the floodgates have opened!
Henry Fool - Sat all the way through this one for some ungodly reason. I guess seeing Parker Posey in a bikini gave me hope.
Love Streams - Watched about an hour of this Cassavetes dud.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The effect it had on me was amazing. It was more powerful than a handful of pain killers and a six pack.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I ALWAYS sit through the whole film because I believe that every movie deserves a fair chance, but I did come close once. I barely made it through The Lord of the Rings. That was one of the most boring and unpleasant films I have ever encountered.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I always watch the whole thing. I'm a very patient man.

I barely made it through The Lord of the Rings. That was one of the most boring and unpleasant films I have ever encountered.
You seem to really hate that film, Bill. What is so bad in it?

Justin B

Agent
I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, but I couldn't sit through the original SW trilogy. I tried when I was about 6-8 years old, and had no interest. Then they screened on FTA a couple of months ago and I really tried to watch to see if I'd been missing something, but switched off 15 mins into Ep4.
There's plenty of other movies I've sat through, but wished I hadn't ;) I've never walked out of a cinema.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
These days if I think something sucks, I will bail. I'm not at all concerned about being able to offer an informed opinion, because I ain't no film critic and I would rather say I could not finish the film, then be able to discuss it in depth because some strange masochistic urge forces me to torture myself by eating the whole damn cinematic shit sandwich that is foisted upon me.
To this day I have nightmarish flashbacks of the time I watched Patch Adams from beginning, right through to the foul stinking end. I honestly feel it would have been less painful to of had someone hammering thumb tacks into my johnson for two hours :angry:
Bad films, just are not worth the pain and nausea they induce. :thumbsdown:

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
You seem to really hate that film, Bill. What is so bad in it?
Well, I definitely do not want to start a Lord of the Rings debate because I realize that I am outnumbered about 6 billion to one here. Also, keep in mind I haven't read any of the books.

Overall, I felt that the cinematography was very impressive as far as the visuals go, but I felt that the editing during the fight sequences was awful. Some of the fight sequences were almost impossible for me to follow. I did not have great interest in the story, I felt that it was tedious and boring. The "journey" seemed to drag on forever and just kept stopping and starting without any momentum at all. Then finally when you pass the three hour mark the movie just stops dead.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy you are so spot on with The Astronaut's Wife. I couldn't physically keep my eyes on the screen it was o bad. A few others that I couldn't bear to finish:
Species 2
Entrapment
MI2
Along Came A Spider (I think I must've missed about 45 minutes of that one)
Too many more to name...
Oh there is one other... I was flicking through the movie channels one night, and I stumbled upon Universal Soldier: The Return. Oh boy was I in for a treat. I entered the fun about 20mins in. At this point Van Damme and a couple other recognizable bit-actors were arguing with a computer about letting them out of whatever main-frame room they were locked in. They appeared to come to an ammeanable agreement, and just as they are about to the exit the room, the computer screams, "No, FUCK YOU!" :laugh: I almost pissed myself laughing. Its films like this that give the TV's remote control a purpose.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I too force myself to watch the whole movie no matter how bad. Usually, however, it's a rental or recorded, and sometimes I can only stand to watch in 15 minute intervals at a time. But no matter how much I'm hating a film, there's always the chance that the ending will redeem it (e.g., Fight Club's ending almost changed my mind on that film, and of course the ending can also ruin a movie (case in point Blow Up)), and in any case I don't like trashing a movie if I haven't seen it all the way through.
Having said all that however, there are certainly lots and lots of films I could never sit through (even for 5 minutes) again. I have a gun with 3 bullets reserved for anyone who ever brings Cries & Whispers, All About Eve or Titanic into my house. :) :)

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I like to give films a chance as well all the way through but I really could not make it through:
Titanic
The English Patient I'm with Elaine here
Waterworld
The Way We Were
The Bodyguard I think I'm remembering the title. It's that piece of crap Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston was in.
This would have been the result had I made it through these

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks