Movie Trading Co. - great place for used DVDs

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Wayne W, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone been to this store? I went today and they have a huge selection of used DVDs. The prices vary, but there were some good deals to be found.

I got The World is Not Enough (OOP) for $16.99. Not a bad deal and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

They have a great return policy as well. I opened up the DVDs I bought in the car and the copy of 12 Monkeys ($11.99) was obviously a rental at some point. It was all kinds of beat up and actually had "Bad" scratched into it on the bottom side. I went back in and they swapped it with no hassle. They opened up the replacement to make sure there were no more problems and it was in perfect shape.

The store I went to was in Frisco, TX. Check them out if you are looking for used DVDs.

2. JoeyNelson

JoeyNelson Extra

movie trading company is great, but they're only in the dallas area. they will rent you any dvd in the store, and if you want to buy it after that, they'll subtract the rental fee from the sale price.

i've gotten a bunch of really great deals there, and they do have a huge selection.

3. JoelB

JoelB Auditioning

I always found their prices to be high. I can usually find a DVD new for what they sell it for used.

4. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

I agree with Joel. They'd be really great if they're prices would come down 20-30%.

5. JoeyNelson

JoeyNelson Extra

that's probably true on the bigger titles, but they have a lot more obscure stuff than most of the other stores around here. last week i picked up a copy of the documentary "dark days" for $6! i had never even seen it for sale anywhere else.

6. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, you really have to know what are the good deals. I'm going to take 12 monkeys back because I found out there was a DTS version (and the regular one is only $12.99 at some places). Also the copy of The World Is Not Enough was to scratched up to play so that one goes back as well. I did go to a different MTC that was closer to were I live and they had a copy of TWINE that was only $10 and in perfect condition (I don't think it had ever been taken out of the case). If you have the time to look through all there DVDs I'm sure there are some deals to be found for everyone.

7. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I agree that their prices are too high, like the new titles. BB and CC usually have the lowest prices like $14.99-16.99) Theirs is always 19.99. They need to have that at least reduced.

But the trading's the best part. I traded in a crappy DVD I bought a couple of years ago for $5.95 and traded it in for $7 [​IMG] I don't feel too bad about crappy DVDs I've bought in the past, since I can trade them in. And of course, that depends on which titles I trade them in for. Many are really overpriced there.

8. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I've hear there ads a lot on the radio, but I've never made it into one. I live about and hour from the Metroplex so I'm only over there a few times a month. We have a Hastings here, and it sounds like almost the same store. High prices on new stuff and some old stuff, but the occasional good deal to be found. Right now Hastings is having a deal where you can buy two used DVDs, get one for a penny.

9. JerryCulp

JerryCulp Stunt Coordinator

When I was in the Dallas area I dropped a couple of hundred bucks there.
    My rule was to save 4 bucks over the new price. Every DVD was in pristine condition.