What's new

movie theater speaker setup (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I was wondering what kind of setup do movie theaters use for speakers. Like the center channel. At home I can hear it very precicely from the speaker, but at the movies it just comes from the screen. And how about the surround speakers. I counted either 8 or 10 at our theaters are they all surrounds and rears. If so do the all produce the same sound. So they're would be a center 2 mains 6 surrounds and 2 rears? I think a diagram of what sounds are comming out of what speakers would really help me out here if someone has one handy?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
From the theaters I've seen in different & various stages of construction it seems that there is usually a solid row of speakers & subs behind the screen in a commercial theater. There's not a whole lot of seperation between them so you can't pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from.

As for the surrounds...the number they use is usually dependant on how long the theater room is. They're still only playing 5.1 or 6.1. The extra speakers are simply matrixed and delayed so the sound cascades from the front to the back.

Now in the case of a room with say 10 surrounds down the sides walls and 6 on the back wall, I couldn't tell you which speakers are playing the side surround and where the rear surround starts.

I don't have a diagram, but the link below is to some construction pictures of a private screening room a guy built. It's as close to "commercial" setup as I've seen documented.

http://www.film-tech.com/pics/ftsr/ftsr1.html

Scroll through the pages and you'll see how the speakers are arranged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks