Movie Theater Chair Mounting?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jim.vaccaro, May 24, 2006.

1. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Hi all. I'm looking to purchase some movie theater style seating from http://seatsandchairs.com for my very modest theater room. The problem is, I don't want to bolt these chairs to the floor (it's a concrete slab, and I plan to sell the house in a 2-3 years). There are places on the net which sell metal plates to bolt the chairs to for about $65, so those are an option. But I've also read you can use plywood to make your own floor plates. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this or any opinions on materials, construction, etc. Thanks.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Will these be on a riser or floor level? My front row of 3 seats is floor level, and I wrapped a 2X12 with indoor/outdoor carpet, then secured them with lag screws.

3. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Floor level, over carpet. I'm probably only putting in a row of four seats.

2 x 12 sounds more robust than plywood, I think I like that idea. I was planning on painting it and putting spikes in the bottom a la speaker stands since it would be over carpet. I hadn't thought of covering the chair mounting platform itself with carpet. Interesting.

4. Kyle McCabe

Kyle McCabe Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I don't have any input on the mounting of the chairs, but I just wanted to comment on seatsandchairs.com. I know them well, and they are an outstanding company! Buy with confidence, and tell them I said hello. ;-) I hope that isn't too off-topic.

5. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

That's certainly good to know, thanks. Actually, they show several of their chairs mounted on what look like wood or plastic floor plates/platforms, so perhaps I'll give them a call and ask them what they recommend before I order.

6. Kyle McCabe

Kyle McCabe Stunt Coordinator

Ask for Millie. She would know, and if not, she would find out. Good luck!

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jim, mine also sit on top of the existing carpet floor in my basement. But I didn't put anything on the bottom like you're talking about. Are you sure it wouldn't damage the carpet?

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I don't think so. I was thinking just four small speaker stand spikes would help to anchor the plate to the carpet. But if you're saying the spikes aren't necessary, I won't bother.

I'm toying with the idea now of using two 16" 2 x 6 boards for each chair and bolting them lengthwise under each leg. Should be easy, cheap, and quite stable on carpet.

9. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The 2X6 boards should work just as well.