1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Talk: has DVD Discussion replaced it?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joe Karlosi, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

These days it seems that discussing Movies is becoming abandoned a great deal in favor of talking about technical aspects of DVDs, supplements, V/A quality, etc...

This may not be so much the case in this particular forum, but has anyone else noticed it? I have, and I think it's a shame. Sometimes there will be 50 pages in a thread before a DVD is even released, everyone speculating on all the extras and goodies, and talking about the OAR. However, the crazy thing is that once the title is finally RELEASED, the discussion of the film itself comes to a screeching halt. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this trend?

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Well, to be fair, HTF is geared more towards DVD enthusiasts than it is to general movie nuts. So it makes sense that the Software section would get the most attention from the readers/responders.

Seems that the Movies area attracts mostly "old-school" HTF regulars.

Someone who needs to know the Alien Quad specs might not be all that interested in discussing the movies themselves.

I like this particular forum because it's an out-of-the-way movies forum that's A) comprised exclusively of intelligent, polite people and B) it's moderated so that the bullshit spammers and trolls are left out in the cold.

Since I'm MUCH more of a movie freak than I am a DVD freak, I'd love to be able to spend some time at the Rotten Tomatoes/IMDb/etc. forums, but those places are about as attractive as a route 66 gas station toilet.

So while there may be a lot less participants in the HTF Movies area, I'll take high-quality people over volume of threads any day.

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Scott's pretty much nailed it. Big huge discussion areas sound good in theory, with a much larger base of opinions to hear from--but in practice, more people tends to actually dilute the quality of discussion, in my experience. I like that the movies board here isn't as large as some forums. The number of participants may be less, but the quality of discussion is much higher. I'd rather talk to the same 30 people and know they're going to bring something to the table than to be in a room with 200 people all shouting just to hear themselves shout.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

And here I was noticing how much more time I spend in Movies than in Software and Hardware discussions, which is why I joined in the first place all those years ago.

With my primary collection reaching a stage of completion and only finding maybe 10-20 new films a year even close to purchase quality for me, there just is not as much to talk about. Discs either have good content or don't, good video/audio or not.

Maybe I might find out about a glitch or an upcoming 2nd release that makes me hold out on a purchase, but the days of waiting desperately for many of the titles I really wanted to own has basically gone by the wayside with Dazed and Confused, Trainspotting and the Star Wars releases (barring the release of the original cuts).

There are still some nice classics not yet out, and a few big ones like King Kong on the way, but the DVD release "event" is not as big a deal to me now as the Movie side of it.

Same goes for my hardware which has reached a level of quality that will be sufficient for several more years (a rare occassion indeed). [​IMG]

And I agree with Robert about the general idea of a big room vs a few people you know.