movie suggestion help

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joel D, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Joel D

Joel D Extra

Alright, I'm sure there are enough of these posts but whatever. I'm trying to make a movie list for someone and I need help. It is for someone who is trying to expand their horizons beyond simple mainsteam films (and films made within the last 20 years) I would like suggestions that are a good example of the genre, style, or national cinema. here are some categories:

Considered Classics or Persinal Classics(movies anyone who loves movies needs to see)
    horror
    western
    film noir
    crime/heist/caper
    comedy
    documentary
    war
    sci-fi
    french
    italian
    japanese
    misc.

thanks alot for your time.

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I consider all the following films to be standouts in the categories you listed.

Considered Classics or Personal Classics - (This is potentially a huge list [​IMG]) Pulp Fiction, Veritgo, Rear Window, Lawrence of Arabia, The Apartment, Blue Velvet

Horror - Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Thing (1982)

Western - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in the West

Film Noir - The Third Man, Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity

Crime/Heist/Caper - Riffifi, The Godfather I & II, Goodfellas

Comedy - Annie Hall, Life of Brian, Raising Arizona, Young Frankenstein (Comedy seems to be the most subjective genre)

Documentary - While I have seen quite a few, I just don't class myself very knowledgeable in this genre.

War - Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Thin Red Line

Sci-fi - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Dark City

French - Trois couleurs (The Three Colours Trilogy), Grand Illusion, The 400 Blows, Amelie

Italian - 8 1/2, The Bicycle Thief, La Strada

Japanese - Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Spirited Away