What's new

movie suggestion help (1 Viewer)

Joel D

Grip
Alright, I'm sure there are enough of these posts but whatever. I'm trying to make a movie list for someone and I need help. It is for someone who is trying to expand their horizons beyond simple mainsteam films (and films made within the last 20 years) I would like suggestions that are a good example of the genre, style, or national cinema. here are some categories:

Considered Classics or Persinal Classics(movies anyone who loves movies needs to see)
horror
western
film noir
crime/heist/caper
comedy
documentary
war
sci-fi
french
italian
japanese
misc.

thanks alot for your time.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I consider all the following films to be standouts in the categories you listed.

Considered Classics or Personal Classics - (This is potentially a huge list :)) Pulp Fiction, Veritgo, Rear Window, Lawrence of Arabia, The Apartment, Blue Velvet

Horror - Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Thing (1982)

Western - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in the West

Film Noir - The Third Man, Touch of Evil, Double Indemnity

Crime/Heist/Caper - Riffifi, The Godfather I & II, Goodfellas

Comedy - Annie Hall, Life of Brian, Raising Arizona, Young Frankenstein (Comedy seems to be the most subjective genre)

Documentary - While I have seen quite a few, I just don't class myself very knowledgeable in this genre.

War - Apocalypse Now, Platoon, The Thin Red Line

Sci-fi - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Dark City

French - Trois couleurs (The Three Colours Trilogy), Grand Illusion, The 400 Blows, Amelie

Italian - 8 1/2, The Bicycle Thief, La Strada

Japanese - Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Spirited Away

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks