What's new

Movie sequences that UNNERVED YOU... (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Can it be true that the only mention of Miike's "Audition" was by Justin way back on page one?!?

That movie damn near redefined the notion of "unnerving" for me, and is still one the best all-round films I've seen in recent years. Just knowing that it unnerved me is knowing a bit too much--better to go into this one completely virginal and let it work its dark voodoo on you with all filters down. I was fortunate enough to see it this way, as I only knew Miike as a yakuza director, outlandish like Suzuki (but moreso). Suddenly, I was confronted by a film that seemed more like updated Ozu, a quiet family melodrama about overcoming the loss of a loved one... until... until... well, you know.

And if you don't know... well, good god man, watch out! Or better yet, forget you read all this, come across this film by happenstance, and let it sucker you awhile before knocking you right off that big pedestal of seen-it-all-before complacency. It knocked me off mine, and I still shudder to remember when I realized that yes, indeed, he really is going there.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For ongoing tension, I like Crimson Tide and the mutiny combined with the loss of communications with command. Absolutely great scenes including the poor technician having to fix the radio with the lives of 3 billion depending on him.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The eclipse scene in Pitch Black made the hairs on the back of my head stand up, it was very well executed, especially on a big screen.

The sound of the generator getting louder & louder as the unsuspecting couple walk towards "The House" in Texas Chainsaw Massacre has a similar effect on me. Creepy.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Rich, which Audition are you talking about? There are a couple of titles on IMDB that qualify as "recent years" releases.

--
Holadem

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
One that always got me even though it wasn't much of a build-up was the scene in Wicker Man where he first tries to get off the island but finds the plane disabled. Those damn animal masks coming up and then disappearing behind the wall. Then it just builds to the climax from there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, I just found another:

Cube, during the scene where they're trying to get through the sound-activated cube. :eek:

Oh, and now I know where Ghost Ship pinched its opening scene from. :wink:

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Great Thread!

Dead Calm
After John (Sam Neil) realizes what happened on the large ship and is rowing frantically back to his wife, who is alone on their boat with a madman

I think its the operatic music with the heavy drums that gets me!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was just thinking...and I can't remember if it's been mentioned, but the "curbing" scene in American History X. From the first moment, you know that it's going to end in a horrific tragedy.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
The scene in Saving Private Ryan where the character playing the medic gets shot up. Those close up of his chest wound and the blood pouring out cause me to look away everytime. I can watch the opening scene not get anywhere near as queasy as I get when they start working on the medic.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM ... the whole movie.

This is the only one that pops in my head, that truely distrbed me.

Genius filmaking = YES
Me, watching it again = NO

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Holadom, I'm referring to Takashi Miike's "AUDITION" (or "Oodishon" or "Odishon").

I've since seen all of Miike's works available on R1/R0 DVD, and I think this is his best work yet available. But the others, particularly the non-Yakuza ones ("Happiness of the Katsakuris" and "Visitor Q"), are among the most brilliant new cinema I've seen... though not for everyone, to say the least. "Visitor Q", in particular, goes pretty deep into some seriously uncomfortable taboo areas. "Audition", on the other hand, while not the kinda movie you'd watch with your daughter or your mother (or your wife, if you don't exactly trust her) could play to arthouse crowds, grindhouse crowds, midnight movie crowds, feminist crouds, poststructuralist professor crowds... I'm going way out on a limb here, but I think it's one of the ten best movies I've seen in the last few years.

To make it perfectly clear since there are so many movies with that title, it's this one: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0235198

And this is the R1 DVD: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../audition.html

I strongly urge you not to read too much about it, but since you discovered it in this thread, you (unfortunately) won't be as perplexed as I when the brief, jarring images start showing up, but I'm certain the final descent into grand guignol hell will leave you "unnerved", at the very least. I was completely under the couch at that point, but eyes glue'd to the screen... could. not. look. away.

....kirri...kirri...kirri....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks