What's new

Movie sequences that UNNERVED YOU... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wait - I don't mean scenes that SHOCKED YOU or scared you for a second or two. I mean the sequences that built slowly from a dead calm until they created such suspense you could barely stand it, and sustained that tension for a good bit of screen time. They needn't be action sequences with explosions and car chases. They certainly needn't be horror movies (see below). I'm talking those beautifully-constructed sequences that had you clutching your chair arms and almost talking out loud to the characters onscreen. My top choices:
1] The twenty-minute climax of BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, following the discovery that the river has gone down during the night.
2] THE CHINA SYNDROME, again at the climax, as Jack Lemmon tries feverishly (and unsuccessfully) to explain for a live t.v. audience his fear that the nuclear power plant he works at is unsafe, even as a swat team tries to break in to shut him up.
3] PSYCHO - the sequence in which Lila Crane (Vera Miles) chooses to go to the cellar to hide from Norman Bates. We know she is in horrible danger, because Hitchcock has so beautifully set her up for it in two prior murders.
4] Icabod Crane's horse ride home at the end of ICABOD AND MR. TOAD (aka LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW portion of the Disney double-feature).
5] The nocturnal walk taken by Frances Dee through the tall reeds in Val Lewton's classic I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE.
6] A somewhat similar sequence (perhaps inspired by Lewton)
in SIGNS, as Mel Gibson investigates his cornfield armed only with a flashlight.

Your experiences?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
1. The hallucination sequences in Pi, as well as the next-to-last scene.

2. Boromir's last stand in The Fellowship of the Ring. It was so amazingly executed that I was left breathless, regardless of the fact that I've known the outcome ever since I was eight.

It's a Saturday, and I haven't had any coffee yet, so those two are all I can think about right now ;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
My legs were shaking during the entire D-Day sequence in Saving Private Ryan. Thing is, I don't think it happened the first time I saw it, but rather, my uncle (used to) live(s) in a hospital building in Taiwan, and right across the hall is a presentation room with great seats, stereo system, and decent front projection. I think my cousin turned up the DVD really loud...:D

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
I second Boromir's last stand, that seen gets me every time I watch.

As for Requiem, the whole movie, so much that I will not watch it again.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The hobbling scene from MISERY. After that first swing I was dreading the second! As someone who broke his ankle twice, it hurt just watching that scene!

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
The scene in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE (1962), when a crippled, entrapped Joan Crawford sends a written plea for her rescue out of her window, but it's found by her captor/sister, Bette Davis. Gruesomely suspenseful.

Zenas

Agent
I also loved the whole ending sequence of Se7en, where they're driving through the desert...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
This isn't what you're looking for, but after watching Darkness Falls last night, I was completely unnerved when they used the elevator after all the power had been turned off in the town ;)

Bruce

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Deliverance. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're lucky.

The Haunting (1963) has plenty of great scenes like this. The "who is holding my hand" scene and the rubber door scene gave me nightmares.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I watched half of Kung Pow the other night. I felt like that the whole time because it was so bad.

I'd say those last fifteen minutes of Alien really got me going the first time. When she runs around with Jonesy. Don't save the damn cat, just run!

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The entire end sequence of 'Capricorn One' - when I first saw the helicopter/biplane chase I was at the edge of my seat.

Back to the Future: This movie was full of tense moments towards the end. The entire is he/isn't he? aspect of Doc's death was particularly well done.

The Dead Zone: The final ten minutes of this movie are brilliant - pure suspense ( I hadn't read the book ).

Stalker: There were several moments during the journey through the 'zone' where the suspense became almost unbearable.

Almost anything by Hitchcock.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
The end sequence of Requiem For A Dream

The ending of Se7en, the car ride to the desert, and then when we found out Kevin Spacey's plan. He wanted to be the 7th victim.

Bully When they killed him. This scene gets me every time.

The ending (beginning) of Memento, when everything we thought we knew was turned upside down

Pretty much the entire Exorcist movie. I doubt I will ever watch that film again.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks