Movie Scores

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Antonio S, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

Newbie question 2.0.
    One of the greatest irritations in watching some DVDs, is the way the sound is incorporated in a movie.
    When I play Kill Bill (the worst offender) with a normal audio for speech, the score knocks you out of your seat. I actually have to sit with the remote in hand, in order to make sound adjustments. I don't seem to recall having this problem with the old VHS format.
    Still using the standard TV speakers and not going through a seperate receiver. Player is a Panny A112U. Upgrades for TV and player are planned for early '07.
    Is there hope for the future, or is this a grin and bear situation.

2. Kris Z.

Kris Z. Stunt Coordinator

If your player has such a setting, you could try to increase the Dynamic Range Compression. I think this is the right situation to use that. Also make sure that you have the correct speaker settings in the player, since it could be possible that you're missing out on the speech from the centre channel if the player is not mixing down the 5.1 track appropriately.

3. Antonio S

Many thanks for your input Kris.
    I'm still learning my way around this player. It was a gift from a friend that purchased a changer.
    I downloaded the manual from Panasonic, and it does indeed indicate Dynamic Range Compression. Comes in two flavors - on and off. Also has VSS - Virtual Surround Sound , and a DVD Dialog Enhancer.
    Arrgh...my brain is starting to hurt.

4. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Just turn the dynamic range compression on. If you have a receiver they often have a "night mode" designed to do the same thing.

When you have an ace audio set up you'll like the fact DVD tracks feature a similar amount of dynamic range as theatre tracks. The audio track being compressed so that it is all about the same loudness is a silly way to watch a film. Sound designers don't mix films that way.

Oh except the last Lord of the Rings film which apparently uses a lot of compression to increase the average loudness of the audio track (like modern CDs).

5. Antonio S

Greetings Simon, and thanks for checking in.
    Since I just recently got bit by the home theater bug, I'm still running to catch up. My receiver and speakers are actually pre DVD and are no longer connected to the TV. A more sophisticated set up is being planned and saved for. In the mean time, I'm learning my way around the playing field.
    Checked out the settings and found that Dynamic Range Compression was set to "off". Will try it in the "on" setting.
    The picture format was set to "Pan and Scan". Heresy!
    Will set to "Letterbox".
    Connections: Right now the vid is going through the VCR. (gold connectors)
    I'm thinking I should go to the local Radio Shack and look at an S-video connector.

6. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

You certainly want to go straight from your DVD play into your TV. If your TV has S-Video, it is possible that it will also have component (individual red, green, blue connectors). If your DVD player also supports component, then I would use that over S-Video.

7. Antonio S

No such luck.
    However, If I get a better picture with S-Video than I am now, I'll be a happy camper.
    Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]