Movie Ratings Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Dec 18, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Was the requirment fora PG rated movie more lax in the late 70's to early 80's? After watching stuff like BTTF(Wich I beleive is PG), you wouldn't dare here a word like shit uttered in a PG movie of today. Same goes for a few choice words edited out of Ghostbusters when it's shown on basic cable...

anyone have any reason on this?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

PG-13 wsn't around until 1984, and I'm guessing it wasn't really used heavily until mid 85-86

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

There aren't any concrete rules, but you'll hear it every once and awhile. Sh** is to PG as F*** is to PG-13, you can say it once or twice but more than that is pushing it.

To give you the short and sweet summary, the one-two punch of Gremlins and Temple of Doom prompted the creation of a new intermediate movie rating. The first movies to be carry the new PG-13 rating were Red Dawn and Dreamscape.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Yes, PG was more lenient in the 70's and 80's. Note some nudity in PG films back then (can you imagine Jaws? I'm not even sure it'd get a PG-13 as is now) 'Fuck' was even allowed in some rare cases.

Quite clearly, you'd expect the US to be right along side Europe with the progress in these more open times, but the creation of PG-13 stifled it. The 'R' rating was tightened similarly with the creation of the NC-17 (taking the place of the copyright failure that was the X rating), but the lack of support for the NC-17 rating just made the movies go in an odd regression of explicitness.

[rant] So we get PG rated films that really deserve G's (Lilo and Stitch, the Dreamworks animated films), PG-13 films that closely push what they can get in (The Austin Powers films, all the dumb Adam Sandler films, etc.), R rated films that have to watch every second of sex they put in (Black and White famously put up the NC-17 and R rated versions of their sex scene. BTW, anybody have a link to this? This would make great example material?), and non-existent NC-17 films. Thanks, MPAA. Hopefully, the tide is growing...unrated is the future! Y Tu Tambien, Happiness, La Pianiste, Bully, and others are bucking the trend. I will support this trend as much I can. [/rant]

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Then you also have studios pushing to dumb down films that would be rated R to get a PG-13(Pearl Harbour)....

Or adding needless swearing to films that are PG to get a PG-13 rating....

Also, do you think Ghostbusters, Top Gun, and even Back to teh Future would be PG if released today?

I don't......