What's new

Movie questions thread - Why did they do that? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was thinking about Die Hard 2 where the terrorists took over the guidance system for Dulles airport (I believe). There were some planes in the air circling the city with no place to land and running out of fuel. With so many international airports and military bases in that area, why would a pilot circle around the metropolitan area while the plane is running on fumes? At some point, don't you make the decision to divert to some other airport, no matter what Dulles air traffic control is telling you? Or was it something to do with communications being out?
What other movies had you thinking "Hmmmmm????"
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Re DIEHARD, I seem to recall being clearly instructed to "check my brain at the door". I can't remember for sure 'cause I lost the claim ticket.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I remember after Die Hard 2 came out there were a few interviews with airport security people who laughed the whole movie off. Under standard procedure, nothing would have happened as it did. As indicated, the planes would have gone to another airport, and Colm Meaney would have been in Die Hard 3
wink.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've pointed this out about Diehard 2 for a long time. The fact that the planes are PERFECTLY free to land ANYWHERE else and TALK to anyone else (not to mention that the airport called the military with NO apparent difficulty AT ALL) makes the ENTIRE film ludicrous, laughably pointless, and devoid of any real drama.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
In the original Star Wars (1977) :
the finale with the Rebel assault on the Death Star is able to take place because the Empire is waitng for the moon containing the Rebel base to orbit around so they can blow it up. BUT, if they have a weapon that can destroy planets, WHY ARE THEY WAITING FOR THE FRIPPIN' MOON TO COME AROUND? Couldn't they simply destroy the planet, thus getting rid of all moons and the Rebels massed on them?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also about Star Wars, couldn't they just move the Death Star around the planet? I mean, they moved it as far as they already had, so why not? And why didn't they just shoot a bomb at the Death Star from afar and make sure that it would go into that hole instead of going through the trench? Don't they have smart bombs?

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Also in Star Wars:
Why didnt Luke use his Jedi Mind control powers to score with leah? She was hot!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Because he can't use the force to move them to Alabama. :)
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Also about Star Wars, couldn't they just move the Death Star around the planet?
That's what I've always thought they did do. A moon would take hours to emerge from behind a planet. The Death Star was in firing position in minutes. While the gunnery display was showing the target behind the planet and apparently "moving out from behind it", my assumption has always been that the Death Star itself was doing the moving, and merely took several minutes to get into position for a clear shot. (As for simply blowing the planet away rather than just taking out the moon: Presumably that would also have taken out the moon, but the whole procedure might have taken longer, giving the rebels a chance to escape. The object of the exercise was to destroy the Alliance by destroying their base and killing their leaders. Just blowing up the moon wouldn't have been enough. And we don't know how long it takes the station to recharge after firing the main weapon. They might have blown up the planet, had a relatively intact moon ahead of them, and been unable to fire before the rebels could escape. And no, I can't believe I'm taking all this so seriously, either. :))
Regards,
Joe

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The Blair Witch Project
- Why, oh why did they not drop the damn cameras and run in one direction? It was a good movie on first impression, but the more I think about it, the worse the movie gets. I'm sorry but pathetic, laughable explanations like the one in the movie or a fan's explanation like, "Well, if I were in their shoes, I'd still keep filming so that there was a record of what's going on..." just don't cut it. In a time of distress, drop the cameras and either look for your friend or run like hell.
furious.gif
furious.gif
furious.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem was that TBW kept them going in circles, so running in one direction wouldn't have done them any good. Besides, the concept of finding the old footage is the basic premise of the movie. If you refuse to accept that conceit, the movie loses much of its charm (IMO).
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention that while they are trying just aghast at the lack of radios in Die Hard 2, there are certainly planes at the airport AND PLANES CAN TALK TO EACH OTHER TOO.
------------------

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Personally I was wondering why none of the security seemed to be concerned about gunfights in the luggage handling room.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Okay, in Jurassic Park III, why did the owner of a paint an dtile store have a sattelite phone instead of more convenient cell phone? And he'd had it for some time since the Sattelite phone's ring was familiar to the boy.
Just one of many 'what the hell?' questions from that movie.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The semi-latent geek in me can't resist responding (re: Why didn't they just blow up Yavin?), despite the ruinous effect that openly indulging in such thought experiments has had on my social life in the past.
If visual memory serves, Yavin's size pretty much mandates that it was a gas giant planet, and not a solid one like its much smaller moons. Perhaps the Death Star's ion cannon simply wasn't capable of destroying such a massive, yet relatively diffuse, celestial body?
--Jefferson Morris

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey
Hal had control of the ship didn't he? Why did he just sit there and allow Dave to get back into the ship?
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey
Hal had control of the ship didn't he? Why did he just sit there and allow Dave to get back into the ship?

Hal had control of many of the systems on the ship, but not absolute and total control of every mechanism on it. Dave opened a manual airlock which was not under Hal's control.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Hal had control of many of the systems on the ship, but not absolute and total control of every mechanism on it. Dave opened a manual airlock which was not under Hal's control.
If Hal couldn't take the ship to Jupiter to complete the mission, then what was the purpose of his murderous ways?
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks