What's new

Movie Posters newbie question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Schnebelen
I am just starting to get into movie posters for my HT and I have a few questions concerning "original" and "reprints". How do you tell the difference? Does it matter? and Does one cost more than another. I just paid $30 for a double sided Lord of the Rings "Original-in theaters only" movie poster. is that good or bad and how do I tell if it is the real McCoy or a re-print. Should I even care? any responces will be very appreciated. Thank you.:b

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There's no simple answer to this one. As a general rule, if it's double-sided, it's probably an original and not a reprint, but there are exceptions (e.g., the first Spiderman poster). And just because something is single-sided doesn't mean it's an original. Unless you're getting it directly from the studio or a theater, the only way to be sure is to deal with a vendor who's open and honest about designating things as originals or reprints.

Collectors prefer originals, of course, and it's the originals that are likely to appreciate in value. (But, IMO, anyone who starts collecting movie posters as an investment would be better off taking it to Vegas.) Originals also tend to have better quality printing, although some reprints look quite good.

The above applies primarily to posters from the last 10 years. Before that, double-sided printing was rarely used if at all.

M.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Like Michael said...

Basically it comes to the question of why you want posters. Originals are more valuable to collectors than reprints- but for HT decor- both will work just fine.

I prefer reprints, because they are MUCH easier to find- and are always more affordable. Both look exactly the same on my wall.

There is usually no real sure way to tell an original from a reprint (collectors of specific prints will have certain tells, but they are unique to each poster and not usually carried between them)-- getting them direct from the studio or your local theater is one sure way to know its original.

I get good deal on reprints from:

postersfast.com

So if you're just looking to add color to your HT- then I would seriously suggest reprints.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks