Movie Posters: Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tom Martin, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

What i hate most about movie posters, and it also shows how Hollywood thinks, is that almost every time the poster is nothing but a picture of the star or stars of the film. In other words, Hollywood is only trying to sell you the actor, not the film. The film is nothing more than a vehicle to get the star to you instead of the star being a vehicle to make a better film. don't get me wrong, i don't ming the actor being on the poster, i just want to be able to look at that poster without a title on it and still know what movie it's from! consider all the stupid posters out there with the the actor on it, usually holding a gun and some dumb look on their face. now picture it without a title. gee, what creativity and originality in these posters! if hollywood really cared about films, they would focus on the film rather than the actor. Jaws had a great movie poster, for example. what do you guys think, and what have been some of your favorite movie posters?

2. Tom Martin

What i hate most about movie posters, and it also shows how Hollywood thinks, is that almost every time the poster is nothing but a picture of the star or stars of the film. In other words, Hollywood is only trying to sell you the actor, not the film. The film is nothing more than a vehicle to get the star to you instead of the star being a vehicle to make a better film. don't get me wrong, i don't ming the actor being on the poster, i just want to be able to look at that poster without a title on it and still know what movie it's from! consider all the stupid posters out there with the the actor on it, usually holding a gun and some dumb look on their face. now picture it without a title. gee, what creativity and originality in these posters! if hollywood really cared about films, they would focus on the film rather than the actor. Jaws had a great movie poster, for example. what do you guys think, and what have been some of your favorite movie posters?

3. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I think the first Kill Bill teaser poster was excellent.

[​IMG]

And it's not just because I'm a fan of the films. I have one next to my home theater set up (picture linked in my sig)

I agree I am sick of the "large heads" or the "large head superimposed over a tiny image of a key scene or location in the film" posters.

4. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I think the first Kill Bill teaser poster was excellent.

[​IMG]

And it's not just because I'm a fan of the films. I have one next to my home theater set up (picture linked in my sig)

I agree I am sick of the "large heads" or the "large head superimposed over a tiny image of a key scene or location in the film" posters.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Thats why I like the adavance posters more. Usually they focus on the film, and then when the big movie hype machine kicks in, the theatrical poster featuring the floating heads of the principal cast comes out. My favorite recent example is probably the Lord of the Rings movies. Early posters were simple and beautiful (the fellowship passing through the pillars of argonoth) but when it came time for the big marketting push, floating heads.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Thats why I like the adavance posters more. Usually they focus on the film, and then when the big movie hype machine kicks in, the theatrical poster featuring the floating heads of the principal cast comes out. My favorite recent example is probably the Lord of the Rings movies. Early posters were simple and beautiful (the fellowship passing through the pillars of argonoth) but when it came time for the big marketting push, floating heads.

7. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed the teaser posters for Attack of the Clones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Haunted Mansion. About 90% of the time, I prefer a movie's teaser poster to the theatrical release poster.

8. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed the teaser posters for Attack of the Clones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Haunted Mansion. About 90% of the time, I prefer a movie's teaser poster to the theatrical release poster.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I really liked the teaser poster for AotC with just Anakin and Padme on it. Really simple and to the point.

Jason

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I really liked the teaser poster for AotC with just Anakin and Padme on it. Really simple and to the point.

Jason

11. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

The fight club advanced posters were the best ever!!

12. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

The fight club advanced posters were the best ever!!

13. Tom Martin

Fight Club posters kinda turned me off. how interesting could soap be, i figured...

14. Tom Martin

Fight Club posters kinda turned me off. how interesting could soap be, i figured...

15. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    "Big head"/"Big Face" posters have been around for decades -
    [​IMG]

But as far as posters with "stuff happening", here's an all-time classic -
    [​IMG]

This is one of my favorites -
    [​IMG]

This is a fun style I rarely see anymore -
    [​IMG]

So's this eye-catcher - [​IMG]

16. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    However, as far as more recent films, you do still occasionally find poster art that DOESN'T emphasize the actors (at least visually) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I really had to hunt for these. Most of 2004's movie posters emphasize the actors, either with full body shots or severe close-ups. There's a very sterile look to most modern movie posters that says "Made By Committee" - the design is mostly uncomplicated, actors and/or their faces are emphasized inordinately, and the taglines on most sound like they were churned out by some sort of computer program (you can almost identify the tagline styles, because they're obvious - "philosophical", "pun", "who's in it/who made it", etc.). It's REALLY sad how bland and cookie-cutter modern movie poster design has gotten.

Why do you think people collect classic movie posters? Because they simply don't make 'em like that anymore (and more's the pity).

17. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Here's the only "floating head" poster I'm partial to.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Jefferson Morris

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Yeah, that Thunderball poster is one of the better Bond posters out there. Very dynamic.

I'm actually a fan of Underworld's poster. While nothing new under the sun, it does look great.

As for posters with people, I'm still a big fan of the X2 poster with everyone walking toward the viewer. A nice change of pace from the floating heads.

I'm also really liking the Spiderman 2 art. Very stylish.

Jason

19. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

The new Spider-man 2 posters are great, especially the one where Spidey has his back to us with his mask off, looking over New York. The first two Lord of the Rings teaser posters were also great, with the Argonath and the Two Towers. Kill Bill's teasers were also great, and I was a big fan of the blurred chase for Catch Me If You Can.

I think the best posters are ones that are somewhat simple in terms of number of characters (although there are exceptions, like X-2), and go more for ideas and concepts. Spidey's choice in Spider-man 2, the travel of the Fellowship for Fellowship, the bride's revenge and warrior aspects for Kill Bill, and similar things to that. Big heads serve their purpose for getting people interested that follow certain actors, but they definitely don't reach the art that teaser posters more often show.

I would disagree that posters on a whole are getting worse. Theatrical posters definitely suffer from way too much big head, but teaser posters are often a thing of beauty. That's where the skill and art lies I think, in the teaser posters that show up before you get the wide-release ones.

20. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I too agree that for the most part, advance posters end up being better than theatrical posters.

Two of the my favorites of recent years is the advance poster to Ocean's 11 and Oceans 12:

Ocean's 11 Advance Poster

Ocean's 12 Advance Poster

I would post the images directly, but I don't want to use MovieGood's bandwith. If I can post them, I'll edit the post later.