Movie Poster Lightbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Czyz, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

I'm looking to get my hands on some plans to build a backlit posterframe to display my double sided posters.

I've seen quite a few commercial and custom built boxes that range from $300 - $2000. I've been told that I can build one for under $100. Considering that I want 4 of these, I would prefer to build it myself.

Does anyone have any plans, or know of any plans on how to build one of these?

I'm looking for a box that will allow for easy changing of posters etc.

Thanks,

-Jeff

2. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I'm interested in this too!

So, I'll go ahead and bump it for you.

3. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Well, I managed to find the parts one of the Lightbox builders use, but now the question is how to put those together to make a safe and goodlooking Lightbox frame.

Here's what I have so far.

Lightbox specifications

1" birch hardwood framework.

1/4" white reflective back.

4-18" fluorescent fixtures.

1/8" GE light diffuser.

1/8" plexiglas face lens.

molded face edge.

steel hinged easy access to poster.

top loading, less stress on poster.

satin black furniture finish.

Any carpenters out there that can make some recommendations?

Not sure where I can get the 1/4" reflective back or 1/8" GE Light Diffuser

4. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Jeff how much did you spend?

To cut down on cost, is there anything on that list that isn't necessary?

5. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a limit on how thick the overall unit can be? I have a few drawings of various backlit frames used for large format digital graphics that might work out but they might be a little too deep for some.

6. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

I haven't bought anything yet b/c I didn't want to buy plexiglass and things that had to be cut without having an idea of the size and other issues.

I don't have a depth requirement. So maybe the plans you have will work or can be adapted.

I'm looking for ideas on how the posters could be easily loaded, how the bulbs could be accessed etc.

-Jeff

7. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

So all we need now are some plans...

Anyone?

8. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

My father-in-law is an engineer and does CAD stuff. I'll ask him if he can think of some ideas.

After doing some research, I've found that a Diffuser is just a fancy word for White Plexiglass. Any ideas on what that would cost?

What is standard movie post size? I've heard 27x40 and 27X41. Which is the most common?

9. Bob Hill

If depth isn't an issue for anyone I'll post the plans on my website as soon as I can get it up and running again(sometime before the end of next week). The plans are for a 30"W x 48"H image area but could easily be modified to fit a "standard" poster. As soon as I get it up I will post the link here. BTW what kind of file format would be most preferable for plans like this?

10. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Great!

Formatwise I would be happy with just some pictures and text descriptions with dimensions.

You might be able to answer one of my major issues. That's how to create the front of the box so I can easily drop in posters and easily access the lights to change bulbs.

I'm going to order the Light diffuser today and I'm assuming that if the poster sizes are 27 x 40 that I would need a 27x40 diffuser. That will leave an area of about 1/4" around the diffuser that would no emmit light b/c it is resting on the wood bevel used to hold it in place.

Does that sound right?

I'm going to try and make this my weekend project.

Jeff

11. Bob Hill

Here are the plans. They will need to be modified a bit to fit a standard movie poster but I think you'll get the idea. Email me if you have any questions. Just follow the link here:
    http://home.dwave.net/~bobhill/posterbox.htm

12. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Bob,

Thanks. I'll be heading out to the store tonight to pick up the materials. I think I am going to try and modify the case so that I can top load the posters.

I think I'll buy some cheap wood as a practice run to see how everything works out. I'll post some pictures etc as I progress,

This might be a stupid question, but what is MDF?

13. Bob Hill

First off, there is no such thing as a stupid question just stupid answers [​IMG]. MDF stands for medium density fibre board. As to using it for the box, you can substitute it for nearly any better quality plywood material. Also this box is a top loader if you look at it closely. Hope this helps you out and I look forward to seeing how things work out for you.[​IMG]

14. Checkmate1996

Bob,

Thanks for the diagram. I was in the "market" to build

a movie poster lightbox. This should be very helpful.

Regards,

Brad

15. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

16. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Where did you find the bassloc frames and how much were they?

BTW: I've seen several people say that they have bought the White plexiglass diffuser material for cheap. A couple people said under $10.00 for a 3' x 4' x 1/8". Where can I find this?

I just bought some from a sign shop b/c the local Lowes/Home Depot didn't carry white. I paid $28.00 for it!

17. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

18. Jeff_Czyz

Jeff_Czyz Extra

Well, It took my holiday vacation to get everything needed, but I also succeeded.

I'll put some picture up within the next few days. I ended up trying several different things to create the effect I was looking for. The most time consuming was the research for the correct lighting.

Keep an eye open for my plans and item list in the coming days.

-Jeff

19. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

You guys keep coming up with more things that I need to build. [​IMG]
    I'm currently working on an end table out of antique movie reels and after that I think I'll try and make one of these. Always wanted one but they were so expensive. Excellent building tips.

20. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

This is a great idea. How do you know if the poster is printed on both sides if you are buying online. Will the website state that info?

Jon