What's new

movie poster frames? (1 Viewer)

I got a TEMPLE OF DOOM movie poster signed by Harrison Ford. I made the frame for it using Acrylic sheet from Home Depot (about $15). The frame is 2" wide 'chair rail' molding. There is a slot at the top that allows me to change posters easily. I painted the frame to go with poster and decor, but it could have been stained also. It can be seen here...
http://photos.yahoo.com/Mich_Jeeper
Along with other pictures of my basement theater and my other hobbies.
Steve

Jinho

Auditioning
Ikea $20 ones are great, I have 2 and will be getting 2 more. Only thing is I'm looking for something else now, glass frames reflect a lot of light, matte paintings are the best! I have seen one moulin rouge matte, but that's all.
I live pretty close to an Ikea, what is the item number? Or can you give me a link on their site???

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I recently received 5 27x40 frames ordered from frameusa.com. I am generally pleased with them. At $24 they are not bad. I ordered the "heavy metal" ones. The backing is cardboard with sliding clips allowing easy poster change. The frame is metal, the glass is plexiglass. I am OK with that as I read somewhere that plexi is preferred over glass. I checked for frame squareness and the corners are 90degrees. It took about 1.5 weeks to ship and arrived within 2 days Fedex ground. I would go back and buy more. You can see the frame with poster in my HT at this site. Select HT then "decorating" link. The pictures are towards the bottom.
Link Removed

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
The snapper frames arrived from ShowOff Displays this evening. They were extremely well packed in lots of bubblewrap and were quite easy to install and mount. They look great too.

I highly recommend them for those who want to easily change out their posters.

-greg

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Crazy question.
I want to order the ones from www.frameusa.com
Do you guys prefer a black shiny frame or a black flat poster frame?
Chet,
What do you mean by sliding clips?
Are these sliding clips located on the back or on each side of the poster frame?

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Chet,
Where are pictures of your poster frames from www.frameusa.com?
Nevermind,
I figured it out.
I like your room decor.
I also like the way your posters look.
I am going with the heavy metal series because of you.
I didn't even think about looking at those frames.
I was going with the Metal I or II series at first.
I just assumed that the heavy metal series would cost a lot more.
Thanks!

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Jinho: I don't know the model or anything but when I go to Ikea it's in the area with all the posters, I beleive they have black and silver it's large and made of metal, can't miss them really. They lock together and have a matte so you can put smaller posters as well.

John Jarvis

Auditioning
Well guys i hate to open this again but... i ordered my frames from showoffdisplays.com a month ago and got them today. They where not as nice as i thought they should be for $200 i paid for them. Rick was nice to talk to on the phone but told me he would credit me for them coming late then changed his mind i guess. They have a chessy clamp for holding the posters which is the same clamp set up i have on a $10 frame i bought and the "now showing" i had to paint where they glued a regular frame to this piece. last words i won't buy any more frames from here! I hope others have had better luck than me.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My frameusa saga continues. If you guys got frames from them and you're happy, great....but if you have to deal with the customer service dept., you might kill yourself. As I mentioned, I returned all 9 of my frames as they were damaged (FedEx picked them up). They only gave me a full refund for 7 of 9 frames. So I called and they are going to give me the money back for the other two but with a 25% RESTOCK FEE!! THEY WERE ALL BROKEN! Plus, I didn't get a refund on the shipping and tax. In the end it's as if I gave 50 bucks to frameusa for nothing.
:thumbsdown: x 10

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Chuck C,

Do you think "Frame USA" could have sent replacements?

I would have taken pictures of the frames and tried to find out who is head of the customer service dept.

I would have emailed the head of their customer service dept.

Glenise

Supporting Actor

Tom Moran

Agent
WIth all due respect all of the framing methods you guys seem to be using are going to destroy your posters over time.
If you care about the posters you have...and given the value of some classic posters these days I would think you should...have them professionally framed or learn proper framing techniques yourself.
If the poster face is touching the glass or plexi you are damaging the poster. Artwork should be matted all around so that it will never come into contact with the glass. Second, using cheap board or cardboard as a backing or mounting material is about the biggest no-no there is. These materials contain chemicals that will cause your posters to yellow, fade and generally deteriorate much faster than they should. Always use UV protective glass...and no, there is no chemical in glass that will by itself damage posters...the glass is the most inert thing about the frame...unless of course it is touching the print.
You may be thinking "I've never had any problems" and that is probably because you have not had the posters framed long enough to see the effects or worse, they have already started to fade and yellow but because it is gradual you are not noticing it.
Considering what some of you are spending on frames (and I would imagine the posters are not free either) I would recommend you frame them with some thought for preserving them.;)
Tom

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Tom,
So are you saying buying poster frames from www.frameusa.com and www.showoffdisplays.com is a no no?
I guess this also means that poster frames from http://www.electroshops.com/consumers/posterframes.htm, http://www.bassind.com/theatre_displ...er_frames.html and http://www.hometheatreinteriors.com/...=POSTER_FRAMES
is a no no too!
:frowning:
Some of these places state that the frames come with a styrene poster protector.
What place do you recommend getting frames from?
Can you provide a weblink?
What brand did you purchase?

Tom Moran

Agent
To elaborate, what I'm saying is that the frames themselves are not so much of an issue as the framing techniques.
Most frames are fine if they are used with UV protective glass, acid free archival mounting board and mats around the edges of the poster so it's face does not come into contact with the glass. As a bonus, the posters look much nicer also.
The professionals also seal up the back of the print with paper to keep out environmental contaminants.
This stuff might be a bit extreme for some but it is pretty easy and inexpensive to do and who knows which posters are going to be collectors items 20-30 years from now.
I frame all of my own stuff using the above mentioned supplies from a local framing shop. It does not require any special tools if you buy the frames as modular pieces as others here have suggested. Many of the bigger full service hardware stores stock or can order UV glass and will cut it to size.
Just about any art supply store or professional framing shop sells these materials. To shop on the net try http://www.dickblick.com/
Tom

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I have a question.

If matting is used doesn't that crop the poster so that the entire poster isn't shown.

Ex. Wouldn't some of the sides, top and bottom not be seen?

How does this sound for a poster frame?

Available in two sizes: 27x40 and 27x41 (custom sizes, also)

Satin black only

Custom quality material (no plastic frames here)

Genuine UV filtered plexiglass

Foamcore backing

Wired, and ready to hang.

Thanks!

Jeff Richardson

Auditioning
I'm sure that the remarks of Tom Moran are valid, but as someone who is not looking to save posters for 20+ years but instead someone who wants a decent looking frame for a reasonable price, I find myself trying to choose between two of the places mentioned above in this post -- FrameUSA and Show Off Displays (SOD). SOD allows a choice between wood and metal frames. Can anyone comment on how either looks in real life? Assuming that I get metal, Frame USA also has metal frames. Can anyone compare the quality of the two -- further up in this post there are two pictures that look about the same, but it is very tough to tell from the picture quality -- or at least give more detail on why they chose one over the other? It looks like the Frame USA frames are about $25 whereas the SOD frames are closer to $50. Since I plan to get several frames, that is a substantial difference. I'm happy to pay more if I think I am really getting more, but it looks to me as if the two frames are very very similar.

All comments appreciated. Thanks!

-Jeff

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
I agree with you. If you have a poster that is old or one with autographs then what Tom says is valid. I have read the very same things he mentioned elsewhere. For whats its worth:
As Glenise said I bought mine at Frameusa.com. I bought the "heavy metal" frames and am very happy with them. I have changed out posters several times and they seem sturdy enough. I intend to buy 2-3 more frames soon. Seems like they were $25 or $27 a piece. They have styrene glass, aluminum frame, cardboard back, and spring loaded clips that hold the poster in place. The corners were all square. You can take a look here:
HT room with frameusa poster frames
Hope I was of some help. The $27 dollar frames look fine to me. But ultimately it boils down to how money you want to spend.

Tom Moran

Agent
Glenise,
Yes you are correct the matting will cover the poster so you need to purchase the mat and the frame large enough to accommodate the poster you want to frame.
With a 27 X 40 piece of artwork a 3" mat would look good so you would need a frame that was 6 inches larger than the poster (33 X 46). The inner edge of the mat should cover only the outer 1/8" to 1/4" of the poster.
While not archival Foamcore is sturdy and is widely used in commercial applications. For longer life use an archival mounting board instead and either way make sure the poster is mounted to the backing material using a archival adhesive material.
Nothing looks tackier to me than a poster that was crammed into a frame without being mounted and has buckled and bowed so parts of it reflect light and the whole thing just looks sloppy. :frowning:
But then again I've spent many hours hanging shows in galleries so I guess it is pet peeve for me to see artwork treated in a throw away manner considering the whole point is for people to enjoy looking at it.:D
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks