Movie Poster Frames

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by NateF, Aug 2, 2004.

1. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Ok, not exactly construction here, but I figure this is as close as I can come to an appopriate forum.

I've recently ordered several one sheet authentic movie posters (27x40), and need to look into framing them. Since they're so huge, regular frames aren't going to do it. I'd rather not spend $150 per poster just to frame them, but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm fairly handy with power tools, but I'm not sure how to go about it, or whether it would be worth it just to get a professional to do it.

I've always thought 4 pieces of molding and some glass was a ripoff for $80... is there an alternative?

-Nate

2. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

If you have a Suncoast Movie Company or a Michael's Craft store around you, they usually have the large poster frames for around $19.00.

If not, try www.frameplace.com . They have cheap prices on poster frames.

These aren't as fancy as the expensive ones, but its a cheap way to get your posters on the wall.

3. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

If you would like to have the ability to swap out posters from time to time, then you might want to consider "fast-load" poster frames. I really like the frames I bought from Spotlight Displays.

You can see a picture here of the frames with posters in my home theater: Posters and Frames

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

If their original posters you care about preserving, I would highly recommend getting them professionally framed. In my case, I purchased original posters that had sentimental value to me. I wasnt interested in having the latest blockbuster poster hanging in my house, so I chose the professional preservation framing route.

I shopped for months trying to find a cheap alternative to pro. framing. I tried the cheap frames mentioned earlier, but they looked so cheap it took away from the nice poster. And they are so flat, they sit flush with the wall.
    It makes them look like dorm room decorations.

The "fast-load" posters are nice if you are collecting numerous posters you want to showcase. But they dont protect the poster from damage. They all use cheap plastic fronts and backs. The plastic shows tons of scratches and eventually makes the poster unviewable from different angles. Also, the posters are also prone to sagging in these poster cases. A professionally framed poster becomes a piece of art you can be proud of.

IMHO, plastic is no substitute for glare-free glass. So If you end up making your own, at least use glass...

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

Those are some cool looking frames. I like the extra wide border around them.

Parker

6. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Keith that professional framing looks much better than the Suncoast $20 frames, but IMO, the Suncoast frames work just fine, and look as good as some of the $50-$60 frames I've seen. I have been using them for years with no problems with scratches or posters sagging. They have a cardboard back that stays very tight to the poster. I also just found out that Walmart has the exact same frame for $18.84. The real trick with these is that once they are out of stock, you wait forever for them to restock. I'm still waiting to pick up 4 more of these.

One last thing-- if you don't want black frames, you can prime and paint these with no problem-- just tape up the plastic, leave the back on and paint. I just did this, with a glossy clear coat to finish it, and they look great.

7. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Thanks Parker. [​IMG]

8. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I can't speak highly enough of Sue Heim at www.hollywoodposterframes.com. Her frames are simply the best. She is very helpful, and very interesting to talk to. Before her current business, she worked on Star Wars, and as a TV producer. She frames for many of the studios.
    Todd

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I've used American Frame for about 5 years. They have an incredible variety of styles and colors, in metal and wood. I've mostly used their "Radius" and "Radius Plus" metal frames. They're about half the price of the packaged metal frame pieces off the shelf at arts/crafts chan stores, they have a huge variety of colors, they've never made a mistake on an order of mine, and UPS delivers them to my door. Best value in frames I've seen.
    http://www.americanframe.com
    BTW, I just noticed they have a new non-glare plexiglas.
    Also, the Hollywood frames look like the American Frame material, and the shipping cost to have them pre-assembled is very large. If you can assemble your own (a screwdriver), you can save a lot of money. Sorry to sound like a commercial, but AF is a deal.

10. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Wow, what a response! Thanks, all! I won't be needing fast load frames, as I don't intend to switch out posters. I'll probably end up going the cheap route first and get them professionally done over time.

Again, thanks so much for all the responses, I guess this was the right forum after all [​IMG]

-Nate

11. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Thx for the thread Nate, I am looking for frames too.
    I think I am going to go with the fast load frames Chris suggested.

btw Chris, that is one incredible room you have.
    That would be an awesome place to have a SuperBowl party![​IMG]

12. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Thanks Brian. If you are buying more than one frame, send an email to the owner (Robert Perry) and he might give you a discount.

13. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Thanks for the heads up.
    I need 12 for starters.

14. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, guys, especially the tip about Suncoast. I decided on their $20 cheapy poster frames while I work on making my own. Local frame place didn't have anything that large, but could custom build one for for $125, and that's just a cheap aluminum frame. A wood frame would be like $250. $250 for $5 worth of wood and $20 worth of glass. Sweeeet.

So, it looks like I'm going into the home framing business (not to be confused with the guys who nail together 2x4s).

Anyone have any tips or links to sites about making your own picture frames?

-Nate

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Brain:

Let us know how Spotlight Displays works out for you.

Parker

16. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Nate: I gave you my best advice:
    http://www.americanframe.com
    Just go there and take a look at the variety, pick a style and color, fill in your dimensions and look at the price.
    They come pre-cut to your dimensions and you assemble them (easy, BTW) with a screwdriver. If there's a better deal out there, someone please let me know. And, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

17. MikeLievre

MikeLievre Auditioning

One day my wife got the urge to buy about 8 27x40 movie posters online. She got a great deal... and then got them home and I asked her if she realized how much it would cost to custom frame them!

Luckily for us I stumbled across these frames at Ikea. I couldn't believe my luck. You could do better with custom framing, but I'm all about the best bang for the buck. You'd be pretty hard pressed to tell that the plexi isn't real glass, and the backing is very solid and the metal a nice powder coated black or silver. There are some others from Ikea at this size, but these were the ones I decided were best.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...09*10246*10426

Mike

18. Michael^DC

Michael^DC Extra

Yeah i was interested in buying a frame like this one from that company. So they are long lasting, no damage frames?
    Does it come with acid free backgroud?
    [​IMG]

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Just got my frame today. Regular width snap-on frame. It came disassembled, with two sheets of plexiglass. Looks of nice quality, and I'll try mounting it on the wall tomorrow.

Jason

20. Michael^DC

Michael^DC Extra

cool. care to share photos?