What's new

Movie Plays On One Player But Not Another (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Wilson
Came across something interesting. I was in the middle of watching the original Tron. At the scene where the main characters are sneaking into the office to look for the theft evidence, the main girl and Flynn are kind of slinking through a bunch of computer banks and then up some stairs to a catwalk. On my blu-ray player, during this scene, the screen gets all pixelated and freezes. And then, after about 6 or 10 seconds or so, the movie resumes after having skipped around 8 seconds.

I put the blu-ray in my PS4 Pro and it seems to play perfectly fine. Any ideas of why this would be ? I checked the disc and didn't see any scratches. I had the same situation with a disc in the complete series of the original Star Trek where the disc skipped about a minute but worked perfectly on my PS4. Think maybe it's because my PS4 is a bit newer than my player ?

David Norman

Premium
Always first solution -- clean the disc even if it looks clean.

Could be your older player is starting to show some age issues with the laser and might get worse over time. Almost certainly not a firmware issue

Some laser pickups are just better or better adjusted than others - age may not be the issue. If it always happens at the exact same location on a particular disc, it might be interesting to know where the layer change it (assuming it's a BD50 disc).

ChuckyMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Wilson
Always first solution -- clean the disc even if it looks clean.

Could be your older player is starting to show some age issues with the laser and might get worse over time. Almost certainly not a firmware issue

Some laser pickups are just better or better adjusted than others - age may not be the issue. If it always happens at the exact same location on a particular disc, it might be interesting to know where the layer change it (assuming it's a BD50 disc).
On the Tron disc, it's about 27 minutes or so into the movie. The middle of chapter 6. I don't know if that's a layer change or not. There's no dialogue that's missed, so it's not a massive deal....just annoying.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The fact is, this isn't as uncommon as you might think. That's why a lot of us have two or more players. Aside from that, as suggested, clean the disc, with a microfiber cloth wiping from center to edge.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Some players have better error-correction than others. There's been an issue with Warner DVDs from roughly 2006-2009 where they can't be read anymore. Some of mine won't play on my Sony player, but will play fine on both of my LG players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88