What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
People are getting off the couch for this thing because they know it can't last. The business model is unsustainable.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I care that some moronic banks and/or financial institutions have lent money to a business with an insane model and, when it goes broke, everybody who uses those institutions will pay for their stupidity in the form of higher bank and or management fees. The money to cover their losses always has to come from somewhere and it sure won't come from the pay packets of the stupid managers that lent money to this venture.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I care that some moronic banks and/or financial institutions have lent money to a business with an insane model and, when it goes broke, everybody who uses those institutions will pay for their stupidity in the form of higher bank and or management fees. The money to cover their losses always has to come from somewhere and it sure won't come from the pay packets of the stupid managers that lent money to this venture.
How much money is that?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How much money is that?

I can't be expected to answer that question; however, you can't seriously think the company and its founders are funding their operations entirely with their own money? IIRC, these guys were talking at least a two or three year subsidization window which means they have to have been able to raise hundreds of millions in capital. That kind of dosh only comes from banks or investment houses. If they sink, customers of the institutions that lent money will be picking up the tab whether they used the service or not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't be expected to answer that question; however, you can't seriously think the company and its founders are funding their operations entirely with their own money? IIRC, these guys were talking at least a two or three year subsidization window which means they have to have been able to raise hundreds of millions in capital. That kind of dosh only comes from banks or investment houses. If they sink, customers of the institutions that lent money will be picking up the tab whether they used the service or not.
Can you answer this question is Movie Pass in Canada?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not yet that I can see; however, it isn't inconceivable that it could expand to the Canadian market, assuming it doesn't go under first in your country. Apparently, one of the principles in this biz was a co-founder of NetFlix, so maybe he knows something I don't. :lol:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I don't know if the market here would be large enough to sustain something like this; although, I suppose the idea of being able to see a hundred dollars worth of movies a month for 10 bucks would probably be attractive even to people who normally might not go to a movie theatre.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So in what way is any of it effecting you?

So what you are saying is that I shouldn't have an opinion or concern about anything in this world unless it directly affects me? I'll keep that in mind. However, to answer your question, the world isn't insular anymore. Financial institutions and money are international in scope. I have no idea on whether any fund or bank that I deal with has money involved with this but that doesn't mean they may not be involved. The amount of money these guys have raised isn't chump change. Who knows where it is all coming from or whether all of the money is only coming from American investors or institutions.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't really complaining just making some observations about an insane business model. However, you are right. it's not like I'm going to lose money when this scheme collapses since I'm not a shareholder in Helios and Matheson Analytics; the main stakeholder in Movie Pass. it was kind of interesting to learn that the placement agent for the notes HMNY released to generate revenue for MP's operations was Canaccord Genuity: a Canadian investment bank and financial services company with global reach.

The amount raised wasn't as large as I thought. It was around 100 million in December. One calculation I read is that Movie Pass is losing about 57 million a month, so their principle, HMNY, will have to go looking for another infusion of Other People's Money in early March.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Just had something happen with MP that I’ve never experienced. I’m about to see a 10pm showing of Black Panther and I had to pay $0.44 out of pocket because my MP card didn’t have enough. This ended up being a BigD showing but it wasn’t listed as one in the MP app so, I’m surprised it even worked because I assumed BigD would be considered a premium screen.

This brings up and interesting idea. MoviePass should allow any screen and format but, you have to pay the premium up charge. In my area 3D and this BigD carry a $2 upcharge, IMAX is typically $5. I wouldn’t have a problem doing this if I occasionally wanted to see a premium screening. Thoughts?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure what BigD is, but it probably shouldn't have been covered seeing as the upcharge wasn't fully covered.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Sorry, BigD was Carmike Cinemas branded large format auditoriums. The theater is now run by New Vision Theaters, AMC sold off some Carmike theaters when they took over the chain.

Anyway, I get that it probably shouldn’t have been covered by MP but, the MP app allows you to check in for that showing? The app separates the 3D and BigD 3D times and has them unselectable, but it mixes regular BigD times in with all the other available showings.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would gladly pay any up charge to be able to use MP in premium theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks