1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Pass, Sinemia, AMC A-List and other theater subscriptions

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Message #1861 of 2180 Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    Yes, as others have noted, the cycle is Friday through Thursday.

Importantly, this is rigid for everyone, doesn't matter when you joined. In contrast, our monthly bill dates are all different, that depends on when you joined. E.g., I joined on July 29th, so I get the $20** hit to my credit card on the 29th of every month (though I am curious as to whether it will be on February 28th or March 1st coming up), whereas if you joined on January 11th, you would get billed the $20 on the 11th of every month.

** or $22 or $24, depending on the state you live in, as new rates went in to effect this past week in some states.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That is an excellent question. Please let us know.

steve jaros likes this.
  3. Mike2001

Mike2001 Second Unit

Mike
    My A List title today was Free Solo - the IMAX Experience. Fantastic experience. Had to remind myself to breathe towards the end.

steve jaros, TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Free Solo is a terrific movie. I started a specific thread for it last fall when it was first released if you'd like to go find that for further discussion. Glad to hear it was a great experience in IMAX.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My A-List viewing today was "A Star is Born" in a Dolby Cinema theater. My first time experiencing Dolby Cinema and I was very impressed. The soundtrack of this film was just outstanding in Dolby Atmos.

6. steve jaros

Steve
    Glad you liked the Dolby Cinema presentation! I am a big fan of it too, especially for bombastic movies like the one you saw, and Bohemian Rhapsody, that take advantage of the Atmos sound.

I am lucky that my local AMC has both "IMAX" and Dolby Cinema theaters, and A-List has been a boon in helping me see films in both formats. For example, in 2018, I saw 13 films in Dolby Cinema. But, 11 of those were after I joined A-List in July.

Likewise, I saw 19 movies in "IMAX" in 2018, just 4 of them before A-list, but 15 afterwards.

This is a great thing about A-List, that it has made affordable those $12 IMAX/DC showings that previously I could only do on special occasions.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Oh, life in a smaller market! $12 is cheap for non-premium 2D showings around here! :D

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The Dolby Vision theater I saw it is a 120 mile roundtrip for me. That theater complex has an IMAX theater too and it's right across the hall from the Dolby Vision theater. I'm sure in the near future, I'll be planning on watching two movies in the same day with one viewing in each theater.

9. Message #1869 of 2180 Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    steve jaros

Steve
    Yes, I found that out the past six months when i took trips to Chicago and Washington DC. Was amazed at how much higher the ticket prices were compared to low cost of living Baton Rouge. E.g., down here an 11 AM showing of a film is around $5, in DC it was $11, LOL ... but A-List travels so no skin out of my wallet. :)

That's another thing about A-List: I've had zero issues using it while on the road. It is easy to use the GPS within the App to find the nearest AMC theater and select the film you want to watch even if you are far from home.

10. steve jaros

Steve
    Wow, that is some dedication on your part to drive that far to see a movie. I would definitely take advantage of seeing two movies the same day if i was driving that far.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I've got to, as I try to tie it in with other stuff like going to a favorite restaurant that isn't located in my city or a shopping trip to a retailer that isn't near me. One such trip a month, perhaps two in summertime when I don't have to worry about that snow stuff. I'll do the rest of my A-List showings in my city at the local AMC complex. If I wasn't retired with extra time on my hands, I doubt I would have subscribe to the A-List.

Jeff Adkins and steve jaros like this.
  12. steve jaros

Steve
    Yes, as much as I rave about A-List, it isn't for everyone, or maybe even for most. It requires two things, first a nearby AMC theater, and second, the ability and motivation to see movies in the theater. I am on A-List because I meet both criteria, I have two AMCs near me and my job is such that I have a lot of 'free' time - I basically work three nights a week, from 6 PM to 9 PM, so can see a movie most any day if i want, and I like seeing movies.

IIRC, AMC has said their break-even point per customer on A-List is between 2 and 3 movies a month. So they expect the average member to not come close to seeing the 12 or so movies per month that potentially can be seen.

But so far, I've been like the 6'5" 350 pound dude who eats $40 worth of food at a $10 all you can eat buffet, LOL.

benbess likes this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, my local AMC theater is second rate compared to the newer movie complexes in my city. It shows some movies that are not shown at my favorite non-AMC theater complexes. Without a doubt, I'll probably only use the A-List 6-8 times a month with perhaps 2-4 Dolby Vision/IMAX showings. I'll see how it plays out the rest of this winter and summer.

14. Colin Jacobson

Actually, DC-area AMCs are $6-ish before noon. The price jumps to $11-ish for the noon-4PM shows and then $13-ish for the "evening" shows.

I don't think Regal offers an added discount pre-noon, though, so if you went to one of those... yeah, you'd pay $11 for an AM show.

Of course, the big A-List savings come from nighttime IMAX or DC shows - those go for $17-$18 at my local AMC, and if we get IMAX 3D, you're over $20.

I think the couple of IMAX 3Ds I've seen with A-List "paid for" the month on their own!

We're going up $2 a month soon, but it's still a bargain...

Yeah, I've used A-List in Philly suburbs, Boston suburbs, middle NJ, Phoenix and Las Vegas without a lick of trouble.

Except for the ticket taker in Princeton who studied my photo ID for literally 3 minutes. It should take roughly 20 seconds for someone to look at my name and make sure it matches my A-List account, but this kid stared at my driver's license like he wanted to memorize it!

This may've been partly because I had an out of state ID, but it was still crazy. 3 minutes doesn't sound like much time, but when all you need is for someone to scan your ticket, it's an eternity - and it felt vaguely insulting, like the ticket taker assumed I was pulling some kind of scam...

steve jaros likes this.
  15. Colin Jacobson

I wonder if the 2-3 movies/month "break even" notion factors in additional concessions sales.

I don't have any data, but I have to believe A-List members are more willing to buy concessions than the same people would've been pre-A-List.

I know I am! I like AMC's "Cameo Combo", which is about $10 for small popcorn and drink. I figure I'm getting movie/popcorn/drink for about $13, figuring each movie costs me about $3 per, given my attendance habits.

So for $13, I can get movie/popcorn/drink for about the same price just the movie used to cost me. I enjoy movie concessions, so why not "indulge" when they're so reasonable within the grand scheme?

steve jaros likes this.
  16. Colin Jacobson

I'm lucky in that a) AMC is the closest chain to my house (though not that much closer than the 2 nearest Regals) and b) it's a fairly nice complex. It's almost 18 years old, but it's kept well, and it boasts both IMAX and Dolby Cinema.

Of the 3 multiplexes within 10 minutes of my house, the AMC is objectively the nicest. One of the Regals is fine, whereas the other is kind of a dump - I only go there if they have something no longer at the better screens.

So A-List is perfect for me because AMC would be my objective choice of theater anyway. It's the best in my immediate area...

steve jaros likes this.
  17. steve jaros

Steve
    Good point. I have seen press releases where AMC has talked about a rise in concessions sales among A-List members, so yes, they are factoring that in.

FWIW, that also doesn't apply to me - i almost never buy concessions, 9/10 times when I see a movie i just see the movie. I do love movie popcorn, but it's bad for my old teeth, LOL. :)

18. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I got an email from AMC saying my A List was cancelled. After 20 minutes on hold, I confirmed it wasn't and it was an IT issue. I'd check with AMC to confirm you're not cancelled if you get the e-mail.

19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yo! MoviePass is making more changes.

https://www.slashfilm.com/moviepass-three-tiered-structure

I'd act surprised, but the only thing that surprises me is that they're not completely dead yet.

Is anyone here still a member? If so, are you good with these changes? It continues to not make sense to me. As long as you have a local AMC and you like it, there seems to be no reason to consider these plans. I don't like my AMC and I'm not using A-List, but these plans aren't convincing me to join this sinking ship. I don't think anything could at this point.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This is the thing they emailed former subscribers about at the end of last year, offering the opportunity to prepay for a year’s service, bank transfer only method of payment accepted, no credit cards. I declined to take the offer. I would imagine I’m not alone in that.

Jeff Adkins and Jake Lipson like this.