What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Stranger things have happened than the idea MP makes a comeback. Wasn't Apple once completely left for dead?

Of course, Apple made a comeback because of innovative products, whereas MP's "innovative period" is in the past. I find it hard to think of ways MP can do that.

The linked article makes too many assumptions - and its constant references to "3 million subscribers" would seem to come from outdated data.

MP hit 3 million at their peak, I think, but there's no way they're still at that peak. Way too many people have bailed recently...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone with the annual MP plan get a message from MP offering to cancel their annual plan and get a prorated refund on their annual plan? A friend of mine said he got an offer today, but the "cancel" button is now off-line for him. LOL!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Anyone with the annual MP plan get a message from MP offering to cancel their annual plan and get a prorated refund on their annual plan? A friend of mine said he got an offer today, but the "cancel" button is now off-line for him. LOL!

(With apologies to Douglas Adams)

Maybe MP will change the plan again, so you have to order tickets while standing next to "a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'." The plan terms will be in that filing cabinet …

Just kidding!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Has anybody actually read Section 2.4 of their terms of use?

The text is on their site. This is my first take at a summary.

(i) "MoviePass reserves the right to change or modify the Service or subscriptions at any time and in its sole discretion, including but not limited to applicable prices, at any time, without prior notice."

(ii) "Peak Showings": … (if a viewing is in high demand), "users may be charged an additional fee to attend that particular viewing." They also talk about surcharges for IMAX, Real3D, and other premium format showings, if those formats "are ever offered to subscribers."

So … have I got this right ?!?

Old deal: You paid a flat fee per month. You could watch one unique 2D movie of your choice every day. ("Unique" because they prohibited repeat viewings.)

New deal: You only get 1/10th as many viewings. MP limits the daily selection. If one of the selections that they offer is too popular (e.g., A Hit Movie at 9:45pm on Saturday), and you insist on selecting that film and showtime, they may charge you extra.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I doubt they're going to get one.

I'd love to know how many of their 3 million subscribers are still in. But I suspect they don't want to say.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
On another board I visit, some guy claims there's another mook out there organizing a boycott of AMC because they won't pay MP kickbacks for concessions.

Yeah, that's gonna bring AMC to their knees! :laugh:

I’ll join, I pledge to never use MP at AMC again!

Of course, I canceled MP and have A-list but, I swear, I’ll never use MP at AMC.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I doubt they're going to get one.

I'd love to know how many of their 3 million subscribers are still in. But I suspect they don't want to say.

Obviously not. They liked to tout the size of their membership and won't want to reveal how far they've fallen.

I'm sure they've lost many subscribers, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of remaining members are there just out of laziness. They've just not bothered to cancel yet because $10/month is such a small cost...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks