What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's a new change from this summer. We had quite a thread about it. I believe one member said he looking into hiring a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit to have the small popcorn reinstated.

No - really? You're teasing me, right?

If you offer only two sizes they can't be "medium" and "large". Medium means "middle", implying there is something smaller than it. Rename them "Regular" and "Large".

Yeah, I said that to the poor schlub at the counter! ::laugh:

I was nice about it - I didn't bitch at him, but I just joked that "medium" can't exist unless it's between 2 other sizes.

Seems weird to me. Maybe small didn't sell so they decided not to bother - or maybe they just want to force people into more popcorn than they want!

Even though I had a free large, I got the "medium" - and it still seemed like enough popcorn to feed a family of four. I ate what I wanted and took the rest home - needed 3 days to finish it!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No - really? You're teasing me, right?

I swear I'm telling the truth! I think the thread was about the AMC Stubs program and one of the Stubs perks is that you can upgrade to the next size popcorn and soda for free. I'm not trying to be mysterious about "some member", I genuinely don't remember who it was, but the gist of the complaint was that he usually ordered the small sizes and got the free upgrade to medium, so when they took away small sizes, the price for a medium for Stubs members basically went up since there was no more "getting a medium for price of small" (though you can still get a large for the price of medium). He felt it was unfair to change the offerings during the subscription period.

My point at the time was that since it's not a calendar year subscription but one year from whatever date you joined, there'd be no one date they could change it.

I consider the change mildly annoying but it's not a deal breaker for me. AMC's official reason for the change was that customers weren't ordering small sizes so they were putting effort into stocking a product no one wanted. I think the actual reason is they're hemorraging money and every extra cent helps.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah that was nuts. I'm still uncertain if Mark was kidding or not.
I don't think he was.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I consider the change mildly annoying but it's not a deal breaker for me. AMC's official reason for the change was that customers weren't ordering small sizes so they were putting effort into stocking a product no one wanted. I think the actual reason is they're hemorraging money and every extra cent helps.

I find this reason from AMC disingenuous. Let see, they launch a rewards program that gives members a medium for the price of a small and then act surprised when nobody buys a small anymore. I use to always buy a small but changed to medium because of the free upgrade. I don't use the upgrade anymore because I still buy the medium, I don't need a bucket of soda.

Movie Pass worked great last night at our local New Vision Theater (old Carmike). When the guy was about to swipe my card an employee with an ear piece (maybe an assistant manager) said "that's movie pass". I thought they were about to try and not accept it but he told the guy to just swipe it like normal. He then wrote on a piece of paper "Movie Pass - 1".

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I tried it again today. Worked with no problem. Even got my regal credit. Logan Lucky was the choice this time. Can't review since I'm in the theater watching the pre-game show. Previews and more commercials start in 9 minutes. :)

EDIT: I almost walked out after 30 minutes or so. The pace was very slow but staying to the end was rewarding in that the movie was really good. If you see it, I recommend you stay through the credits. There is no scene within (or after) the credits, but at least two of the credits are quite funny.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I find this reason from AMC disingenuous. Let see, they launch a rewards program that gives members a medium for the price of a small and then act surprised when nobody buys a small anymore. I use to always buy a small but changed to medium because of the free upgrade. I don't use the upgrade anymore because I still buy the medium, I don't need a bucket of soda.

I must be the only person who actually wants a small popcorn! Even if I could upgrade to medium for free, I'd stick with small!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I must be the only person who actually wants a small popcorn! Even if I could upgrade to medium for free, I'd stick with small!

That was generally me too. I would order the small popcorn and soda, and take the upgrade on the drink but not the popcorn. The problem with having a medium bag for me (even when it's the same price as the small) is that with the lights off in the auditorium, I'll mindlessly eat more than I realize and leave the movie feeling uncomfortably full.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know how anyone can get full on popcorn. Have you ever dropped some popcorn in water or liquid? It dissolves down to nearly nothing. The same thing happens when you chew it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That was generally me too. I would order the small popcorn and soda, and take the upgrade on the drink but not the popcorn. The problem with having a medium bag for me (even when it's the same price as the small) is that with the lights off in the auditorium, I'll mindlessly eat more than I realize and leave the movie feeling uncomfortably full.

I don't worry so much about getting too full - I just like "portion control" so I don't shove down 1000 calories of popcorn!

The small Regal is like 350 calories, and it's more than enough popcorn for me! :)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
If I buy any snacks at a movie theater, I buy the "kiddie pack" if that is offered. I get just enough popcorn, soda, and candy to satisfy any cravings I have.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Tonight I went to Superman Homecoming on mp. Ticket was $11.50. Haven't seen a superhero movie in many years, but I actually liked this one. A friend of mine who goes with me to the movies sometimes has now signed up for his own card.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh It's Spider-man not Superman anyway.

I noticed that one of my local theaters isn't displaying It! as a checkin choice.
Actually it's a 20 screen Regal and only displayed 3 screens for choices today and yesterday.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw Baby Driver today with a friend at my local discount cinema. Normal fare for a matinee is a low $3, but in any case it was covered by mp. I think I've now seen about half a dozen movies on mp for my $10. What an amazing thing. It really helps me see movies that otherwise I wouldn't.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've seen three movies on MoviePass just this week. Today it was Battle of the Sexes, about the Billy Jean King/Bobby Riggs Battle. Good movie imho, and exactly the kind of movie I might not have seen without mp.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I used my movie pass last night. I was trying to see "Lucky" with Harry Dean Stanton but the projector broke just before showtime. The theater offered me a refund and a chance to see any other film they were showing for free instead (either that night or at another time of my choosing). Since it was starting at the same time and also featured Stanton, I saw "Wild At Heart" instead and ended up declining the offer of a refund or a pass. I figured I got one movie out of the theater so that they deserved to be paid for that, and that there was no point in taking a pass since I could visit with Moviepass any time anyway.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, I'm obviously late to the party as I just found out that Moviepass had lowered the price down to $9.95/month. I had looked into the service a few years ago when the price was around $35 and I just couldn't justify it as I probably would break even at best.

I signed up yesterday afternoon and used it for the first time last night. Luckily, I live near a theater with e-ticketing so I didn't have to wait for the card to arrive. It worked flawlessly.

I just got out of the habit of going to the movies in the last two years. I generally prefer to go during the week and with prices around $11.50, I just quit going. For my the price of my wife and I to go, we just wait and purchase the blu-ray a few months later.

The few times I have gone during the week lately, there is rarely more than a handful of people in the theater. If this service drastically increases the amount of people in the theater during the week, it has to be a win/win for the theater chains. As others have stated, 80-90% of the ticket price is going to the studio anyway. Moviepass users are spending more than double on concessions compared to those paying standard admission. While I rarely buy concessions, my wife always does. Getting her in the theater 2-3 times per month as opposed to 2-3 times per year is going to result in far more profit for the theater.

I think AMC's main opposition revolves around the rumor that they were about to do a national rollout of their own subscription-based pass at a price well in excess of $9.95/month. If true, that plan has certainly been put on hold.

In the end, here's how I predict this will shake out. The monthly price will creep up by a buck or two over the next few years. Theater owners will get addicted to getting twice as many people in their seats as they used to and selling boatloads of overpriced popcorn and soda. They're not going to want to go back to their businesses being ghost towns 5 days a week. There will be a compromise on the price that Moviepass pays per ticket (I guess somewhere in the $6-7 range).

It's all going to depend just how much this catches on. If this gets to be like Netflix (where it seems like everyone I know is a subscriber), it becomes the old cliche "We'll make it up in volume."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks