What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (2 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And AMC purchases also count towards rewards. It pretty much pays for itself.

But I thought AMC had rejected MoviePass? I have an AMC theater in my town, but I've avoided it for that reason. But MoviePass works there anyway?

And what are the rewards with AMC? Do you download software on your phone or something?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Works at AMC

Download the AMC app.

Become a AMC premiere member. $15 per year

Lots of bonuses included. Also pays for itself just in the month of your birthday with a free large popcorn and large soda.

These deals are just to good to be true.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Used MoviePass today at an AMC theater to see Annabelle: Creation. There's no way in heck I would have seen this movie without mp. And the theater had a grand total of three people in it, including myself.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Used MoviePass today at an AMC theater to see Annabelle: Creation. There's no way in heck I would have seen this movie without mp. And the theater had a grand total of three people in it, including myself.
Loved Annabelle. Scarier than It!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Loved Annabelle. Scarier than It!

Yeah, I saw Annabelle based on your recommendation. Thanks! And I did like it, although for me for some reason IT was scarier. But for Annabelle I enjoyed the California setting, since I was born and raised in California. Also liked the era, the house, the acting, the production design, the cinematography, etc. Very well made little horror movie. In terms of the plot and story I was sort of mixed, but overall it was an enjoyable experience with a good movie that I wouldn't have seen without MoviePass. And definitely a movie that works better in the theater, like almost all movies.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
AMC wants to get out of their contract with Movie Pass, but movie pass still works.

AMC doesn't have a contract with MP, nor do most theaters. MP works because it is a MasterCard debit card so, if a theater accepts MasterCard, they have to accept MP due to there agreement with MasterCard which requires them to accept all cards with the MasterCard logo on it. This is how MP gets around not having contracts with all theaters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is what I was talking about.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/amc-theatres-block-moviepass-1202149783/

"Not so fast, MoviePass: AMC Theatres, the world’s largest exhibition company, says that it’s talking to lawyers to see if it can block ticket sales to users of the service that enables subscribers to see a movie a day."

As Chris noted, and has been discussed previously, AMC would seemingly also need some kind of approval from MasterCard, as well, since this is set up to function as a MC Debit Card. If they were to refuse the card, they would likely run afoul of their card acceptance agreement with MC.

At the moment, and unless they get permission from MasterCard (which seems unlikely), they have no choice unless they terminated their agreement with MC and stopped accepting all MC-branded cards. Under the present model, the Movie Pass MC operates just as any MC debit card from any other bank, which AMC currently has to accept.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Finally got my card in the mail and I'm thinking about using it tonight. Which should be my first film with MP; Mother! or Wind River? Not that it matters much because I'll see both eventually.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I tested it today. I chose "the hitman's bodyguard". The movie is what you'd expect from a Ryan Reynolds, Samuel Jackson movie. However the card was declined. The theater had heard of it and compt my ticket. However to alleviate this kind of problem you are supposed to use the chat feature of the app to fix the problem. I started a chat at 4:34 and so far have not received a response at 5:05. Not quite ready for prim time

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Theater HAD heard of it?

What company was the theater?
It should work just like a credit card.

Did you check in on the app?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
The Theater HAD heard of it?

What company was the theater?
It should work just like a credit card.

Did you check in on the app?
Yes, the theater had. It is a regal. I did check in on the app about 4 or five minutes before I asked for the ticket. And the app said that the money had been transferred. Mine is a debit card not a credit card. And I still have t heard from customer support

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh I guess it's essentially a debit card but you don't need to put a pin in to use it.

I guess after you use it next time we'll know if it was a glitch.

Did you get a note saying go ahead and buy your ticket after you checked in?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, the theater had. It is a regal. I did check in on the app about 4 or five minutes before I asked for the ticket. And the app said that the money had been transferred. Mine is a debit card not a credit card. And I still have t heard from customer support
They are all debit cards.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Went to use my card for the first time last night at my local AMC but, ended up not having to use it. I'm an AMC Stubs Premiere member and when the box office clerk entered my Stubs number she never asked for any money and just handed me the ticket. I know I didn't have enough reward points for anything because I checked. The receipt said "Discount Applied: Carmike Free Ticket." I have no idea what that is about but I'm not complaining.

Saw Wind River which was great. May try and see Mother! tonight.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Works at AMC

Download the AMC app.

Become a AMC premiere member. $15 per year

Lots of bonuses included. Also pays for itself just in the month of your birthday with a free large popcorn and large soda.

These deals are just to good to be true.

You get the free birthday popcorn if you're a member of the free Stubs, too! :D

Weird to me: AMC doesn't offer a small popcorn. I wanted that size but they said they only had medium and large!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's a new change from this summer. We had quite a thread about it. I believe one member said he looking into hiring a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit to have the small popcorn reinstated.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
That's a new change from this summer. We had quite a thread about it. I believe one member said he looking into hiring a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit to have the small popcorn reinstated.

If you offer only two sizes they can't be "medium" and "large". Medium means "middle", implying there is something smaller than it. Rename them "Regular" and "Large".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsenv
    Recent bookmarks