What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I still don't understand how any theater can refuse MP unless they don't take credit/debit cards of any kind. It seems like they would be in violation of their agreement with Visa/MC to accept all cards branded with their logo.

That's true. But it may be a theater that doesn't accept credit cards. One of my favorite theaters in NYC doesn't accept credit cards at the box office, and therefore, they do not take MoviePass. They do accept credit cards via an online reservation system, but since MP only works in geographic proximity to the theater, I can't use MP to buy their tickets online. I believe the other service does allow you to purchase online in advance, which is probably why it works with locations that don't tape cards.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Apparently MoviePass considers the chain to be a "Premium/Luxury" theater. It is MoviePass that isn't accepting the theater. The odd part is that their prices are cheaper than Regal.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Used MP to see The Post on Wednesday night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I am trying to find a 2nd run theater nearby to see The Shape of Water, which i missed over the holidays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apparently MoviePass considers the chain to be a "Premium/Luxury" theater. It is MoviePass that isn't accepting the theater. The odd part is that their prices are cheaper than Regal.
Wayne,

You got a link to that theater complex? I want to see what that theater is offering that would be considered premium.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Landmark that explains it as it along with ArcLight theaters are premium theaters.

Advantage: Available at most theaters, even indies

MoviePass says it’s available in over 91% of all theaters in the U.S. That extends to big chains including AMC, Regal Cinemas, and Cinemark, but also smaller houses like the IFC in New York and Quentin Tarantino’s New Beverly for Angelenos. However, some pushback may be coming — later Tuesday, AMC released a statement objecting to the deep discount.

Drawback: No premium theaters like the ArcLight or Landmark

If you’re one of those people who need a screen consultant on hand just in case you’re unhappy with the quality of the image, you might be out of luck. Among that small percentage of theaters that aren’t in on the deal are … well, let’s just say exactly the chains you would expect.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/moviepass-explainer-advantages-drawbacks-pros-cons-1202528720/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn't consider Landmark to be a "luxury" chain, at least, not based on the Landmark theaters I've attended. They've always been nice, clean facilities, but with standard auditoriums, standard screen sizes, regular seating and no bells and whistles (no luxury recliners, no 70mm/IMAX/3D, regular concessions rather than dinner service), so I am genuinely baffled as to why Landmark would be considered "luxury". Unless the Landmark theaters in the rest of the country are vastly different from the ones I attended in New York City and Boston.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't consider Landmark to be a "luxury" chain, at least, not based on the Landmark theaters I've attended. They've always been nice, clean facilities, but with standard auditoriums, standard screen sizes, regular seating and no bells and whistles (no luxury recliners, no 70mm/IMAX/3D, regular concessions rather than dinner service), so I am genuinely baffled as to why Landmark would be considered "luxury". Unless the Landmark theaters in the rest of the country are vastly different from the ones I attended in New York City and Boston.
I agree, but I suspect that Landmark and Movie Pass just couldn't come to an agreement for whatever reason which is usually money related.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Today's movie was my wife's choice - Forever My Girl. This was due to the fact she saw The Post with me last weekend. Compromise is what relationships need. That said, a big screen Hallmark film, predictable and a bit implausible. :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, but I suspect that Landmark and Movie Pass just couldn't come to an agreement for whatever reason which is usually money related.

I had thought that and could be, but the thing that's sticking out to me is that MoviePass doesn't actually have agreements with AMC or Regal, and is actually operating against the express wishes of those chains (particularly AMC) because the chains can't refuse to take a MasterCard. Wondering what the deal with Landmark is in that regard. I suspect we'll never know for sure.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Today's movie was my wife's choice - Forever My Girl. This was due to the fact she saw The Post with me last weekend. Compromise is what relationships need. That said, a big screen Hallmark film, predictable and a bit implausible. :D

Wait - isn't "Forever My Girl" a Paula Abdul biopic??? :laugh:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My mp movie today with my wife was The Commuter. Fun action-adventure movie. Just don't think too much about it or get your expectations too high. Liam Neeson delivers. We give it a "B+".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My mp movie today with my wife was The Commuter. Fun action-adventure movie. Just don't think too much about it or get your expectations too high. Liam Neeson delivers. We give it a "B+".

Cool. I'm thinking that might be my MP choice for tomorrow. I'm off, my wife's working, so that sounds like a perfect afternoon time filler.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched it last week with MP. I found it entertaining for a late night viewing.

Cool, glad to hear it. It'll be a little unusual for me to do "earlier-in-the-day" movie (normally I'd do the Sunday chores first, then the cooking, and then a later trip to the movies) but I think doing the day backwards will work too. I'm not sure if The Commuter will put me in the mood to go food shopping and cooking, but I'm reasonably sure it won't discourage me from doing those things!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Cool, glad to hear it. It'll be a little unusual for me to do "earlier-in-the-day" movie (normally I'd do the Sunday chores first, then the cooking, and then a later trip to the movies) but I think doing the day backwards will work too. I'm not sure if The Commuter will put me in the mood to go food shopping and cooking, but I'm reasonably sure it won't discourage me from doing those things!

If you're of a sensitive disposition, like myself and many of us, you might not want to be tenderizing meat after you see what happens to Neeson. Just my 2 cents.....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you're of a sensitive disposition, like myself and many of us, you might not want to be tenderizing meat after you see what happens to Neeson. Just my 2 cents.....

My wife will come home and ask, "Sweetie, why is dinner called Neeson Stew?" :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If a movie theater chain declines to participate in being a MoviePass theater partner (agreeing to show up in the MP app), oh well. Right? Got to vote with your dollars either way.

Saw "Phantom Thread" and "Den of Thieves", a couple of movies that I'd be on the fence on, but with the one-movie-a-day buffet model at work here, MoviePass is an amazing bargain in this day and age of $12-$16 movie tickets in afternoon/evening showings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks