What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Which means I'll probably love it.:) Just kidding, but I'm going to see it anyway.

Used A List on it last night in IMAX. Exactly what I expected it to be and enjoyed the whole thing...even though I am not a fan of the franchise. Also snagged tickets for The Farewell, Scary Stories and It Chapter 2. All my A List reservations are filled right now. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Used A List on it last night in IMAX. Exactly what I expected it to be and enjoyed the whole thing...even though I am not a fan of the franchise. Also snagged tickets for The Farewell, Scary Stories and It Chapter 2. All my A List reservations are filled right now. :D
I'm a fan of the franchise and I enjoyed this film too. A little long for me, but overall, I had a good time with this film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw Hobbs & Shaw today with A-list in IMAX with my wife. We liked the Rock, and we enjoyed some of the stuff in Samoa, but overall it was too violent and too absurd. Headache-inducing sound. Not my cup of tea. "C-"

I went Dolby Cinema via A-List and kinda liked it.

It's completely absurd, but it doesn't pretend to be anything else! :)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Saw it Saturday. I felt it was too long, should have got away from the lab quicker. It did set out to hit it's Mark and it did that. Really liked the cameo/supporting appearance. My wife really liked it (the Rock in Samoan garb).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anybody that is still using them gets what they deserved.

I'm inclined to agree -- except that their service has been completely suspended for a while, so no one is using them right now. What surprises me is that the report says this password changing nonsense was happening last summer, which is when Movie Pass still had a lot of subscribers, before the opening of Mission Impossible when they collapsed.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Movie Pass has now been accused of changing passwords to limit access to the service:

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/moviepass-changed-passwords-limit-access-1203297557/

This stat is the most damning for me:

"The number of MoviePass subscribers plummeted from more than 3 million last year to just 225,000 in under a year, according to a Business Insider report in April."

I'm still curious if they're actually going to come back once the app has been redone. If I was cynical, I'd say no and provides the perfect cover.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm still curious if they're actually going to come back once the app has been redone.

I doubt it. I would be very surprised if they had any customers to come back to.

If I was cynical, I'd say no and provides the perfect cover.

Except that everyone would know it wasn't really the app redesign that did them in, so how perfect would it be?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw yesterday with A-pass the weird sort-of sci fi thriller ECCO. Has a few good elements, but overall this movie just didn't work that well for me. My grade: "C"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was The Art of Racing in the Rain. Try to imagine Kevin Costner as a golden retriever who believes in reincarnation and seems to be college educated. He over-narrates this movie about a race car driver and the ups and downs of their lives. It's even weirder than it sounds. But corny. But sort of an ok movie. My rating: "C+"

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I wonder if A-List has tightened up its access to "special engagement" movies?

For example, the other day I wanted to get a ticket to the one-day only 50th anniversary showing of the revised "Woodstock" movie, and when I tried to book it I got a message saying this wasn't eligible for A-List and so I would have to pay regular full price. Likewise, a local AMC is showing a concert documentary movie about the Korean boy band "BTS", and while this is playing on multiple nights (7 PM every night this coming week) I again got a message that this isn't eligible for A-List.

Now, since joining A-List more than a year ago, I have understood that A-List has always said that certain special engagements are not eligible. But it just seemed to me that they were looser with that last year. For example, last fall, when Marvel re-released 20 movies from 2008 onwards, a 10th anniversary film festival, several in the IMAX format for the first time, I was able to see a few of them via A-List. Also, there was a 50th Anniversary release of "2001", also in IMAX, that only showed for a weekend, and I was able to see that with A-List as well. Seemed like the only special engagements they actually blacked out were those opera things I never care to see, or the special "fan previews" where you get to see a new film a few days before its official release, which I don't care about either.

Just bad luck for me with the two recent titles, or do you think AMC has drawn a harder line? Thoughts?

Or maybe a change in my status? I used to be on the regular A-List program, but as of July 30 this year, I am now on the lowest-rung "34 state" plan.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if A-List has tightened up its access to "special engagement" movies?

For example, the other day I wanted to get a ticket to the one-day only 50th anniversary showing of the revised "Woodstock" movie, and when I tried to book it I got a message saying this wasn't eligible for A-List and so I would have to pay regular full price. Likewise, a local AMC is showing a concert documentary movie about the Korean boy band "BTS", and while this is playing on multiple nights (7 PM every night this coming week) I again got a message that this isn't eligible for A-List.

Now, since joining A-List more than a year ago, I have understood that A-List has always said that certain special engagements are not eligible. But it just seemed to me that they were looser with that last year. For example, last fall, when Marvel re-released 20 movies from 2008 onwards, a 10th anniversary film festival, several in the IMAX format for the first time, I was able to see a few of them via A-List. Also, there was a 50th Anniversary release of "2001", also in IMAX, that only showed for a weekend, and I was able to see that with A-List as well. Seemed like the only special engagements they actually blacked out were those opera things I never care to see, or the special "fan previews" where you get to see a new film a few days before its official release, which I don't care about either.

Just bad luck for me with the two recent titles, or do you think AMC has drawn a harder line? Thoughts?

Or maybe a change in my status? I used to be on the regular A-List program, but as of July 30 this year, I am now on the lowest-rung "34 state" plan.

It's not the "low rung" thing - I'm currently on the 50-state thing and it won't let me buy tickets to BTS.

I never paid much attention to "special events" like that, so I don't know if there's been a change!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie yesterdays was a really weak shark attack movie called 47 Meters Down. It was so bad I almost left in the middle of it, which is rare for me. The end of it actually got a little better, but overall I'd rate it a "D+".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Marvel repeats were booked by the theaters as normal events (even though it was a special presentation) so that’s why they were A-List eligible.

Woodstock is a Fathom Event - those are never A-List eligible. BTS is either Fathom or four-walled by its distributor, so not A-List eligible either.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Liked it! Nice period details from 1968. Good performances. Scary at times. Meaningful story imho. My rating: "A-"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's been a couple of weeks since Movie Pass was last in the news for something bad, so here we go again.

This time, apparently there was a security breach that exposed credit card numbers of customers.

Movie Pass spokesperson said:
"Movie Pass takes this incident seriously and is dedicated to protecting our subscribers’ information. We are working diligently to investigate the scope of this incident and its potential impact on our subscribers. Once we gain a full understanding of the incident, we will promptly notify any affected subscribers and the appropriate regulators or law enforcement."

More information at the link: https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/moviepass-security-breach-customer-records-1203309976/

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Regal Unlimited has officially been released and it sucks a lot more than I thought it would. It doesn't cover IMAX, RPX, 4DX, or 3D showings. The level of membership you want to get completely depends on where you live. The cheapest plan covers 200 Regal theaters. The middle tier covers 400 Regal theaters and the highest tier covers all Regal theaters. I will have to think about this before pulling the trigger since there is a 1 year minimum membership period.
The lack of IMAX is understandable, given the premium pricing, and I don't go to 3D showings or any of those other gimmicks. But thre three-tier pricing is a turn off; the theaters selected for each tier seem to depend on local ticket prices. New York State doesn't have a single theater in the cheapest tier, and the NY theaters in the second tier seem concentrated in the North Country, Western New York, and the Southern Tier where the cost of living is lower and the ticket prices are lower. All of the theaters in the Capital Region and downstate seem to be in the most expensive tier.

I would still get my money's worth if I went to two movies a month. The problem is that it turns something that should be fun (going to the movies) into an obligation to maximize the value of my investment.

It's been a couple of weeks since Movie Pass was last in the news for something bad, so here we go again.

This time, apparently there was a security breach that exposed credit card numbers of customers.
Given their track record, the only thing that frankly surprises me is that it was an accident and not a purposeful sale.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The lack up IMAX for Regal Unlimited hurts because AMC A-List covers IMAX and Unlimited was rumored to be supporting IMAX before the official details of the program was announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks