What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You'll be able to. If you go more than 3 times to one of those states after your anniversary date, you can change your plan to one that covers those states.

From the A-List FAQ:

Can I see a movie in a state that’s not included in my plan?

If you find yourself away from home and would still like to see a movie with A-List, you can see up to 3 movies each calendar year in a state that’s not included in your plan. We’ll keep track of this for you in your MyAMC dashboard as “Out Of State Visits This Year” - which will only appear once you see a movie in a state outside of your plan.

Can I change my plan to one that includes more states?

Yes, you are able to change your plan at any time. Log into MyAMC on our website or app to manage your account. You will be billed for the cost difference and be able to use your membership in added states instantly.

Thanks! I assume you can change BACK after 1 month and you're not locked into that price for a year - or at least I HOPE that's the case!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Thanks! I assume you can change BACK after 1 month and you're not locked into that price for a year - or at least I HOPE that's the case!
I think you should be able to. :)

I don’t need the plan which covers the additional states anymore. Can I change to a plan which includes fewer states?

Yes, you are able to change your plan at any time. Log into MyAMC on our website or app to manage your account. Your plan changes will go into effect starting with your next billing date.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think you should be able to. :)

I don’t need the plan which covers the additional states anymore. Can I change to a plan which includes fewer states?

Yes, you are able to change your plan at any time. Log into MyAMC on our website or app to manage your account. Your plan changes will go into effect starting with your next billing date.

Just to follow-up:

Contacted AMC customer service, and they confirmed I could change the plan on a month-by-month basis.

So I could upgrade to the $24 plan when I need it and revert back the following month.

Good to know! Hope it actually works as easily as it should!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
A-List complication I just recently realized existed:

Once my one-year anniversary comes at the end of June, I go to a $22/month plan due to where I live.

Right now, I can use A-List in all 50 states, but when this happens, my plan will only include 45 states.

So I won't be able to use it in NJ, NY, CT, CA and MA.

Wow, thanks for the tip ..... I live in Louisiana, which is a $20 a month state with no increase planned. Over this past Christmas, I was visiting relatives in Maryland, which has become a $22 state, and I saw 6 movies during that time, with no problems.

I guess that's because I saw them before January 9, when the Maryland price increase kicked in?

Also, I was visiting Chicago this past month, which is now a $22 state, and I did see two movies via A-List with no hassles. I guess that's because we get 3 movies a year in states that cost more?

OR, is it because when I signed up last July, there were no such restrictions so I can still see unlimited movies in higher-price states until my one-year renewal comes up in July?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out this limitation.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
OR, is it because when I signed up last July, there were no such restrictions so I can still see unlimited movies in higher-price states until my one-year renewal comes up in July?
Yes. Until your one-year anniversary you can see as many as you want in the higher-priced states. After that you get 3 per calendar year.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes. Until your one-year anniversary you can see as many as you want in the higher-priced states. After that you get 3 per calendar year.

This is interesting. I guess if you were to go to AMC's website right now and try to sign up for A-List for the first time, they would present you with a menu of three plans, one that covers 35 states for $20 a month, another that covers 45 for $22 a month, and a third that covers all 50 for $24 a month?

I guess that's the only way they can keep people from trying to game the system, see movies in New York while paying just $20 a month by claiming they live in a lower-cost state.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks for the tip ..... I live in Louisiana, which is a $20 a month state with no increase planned. Over this past Christmas, I was visiting relatives in Maryland, which has become a $22 state, and I saw 6 movies during that time, with no problems.

I guess that's because I saw them before January 9, when the Maryland price increase kicked in?

Also, I was visiting Chicago this past month, which is now a $22 state, and I did see two movies via A-List with no hassles. I guess that's because we get 3 movies a year in states that cost more?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out this limitation.

You don't get "restricted" when out of your home until your anniversary passes.

Unlike me, your plan won't go up in $, but that's still when you'll no longer be able to see movies in all 50 states without restrictions.

Though you get 3 "freebies" out of market per year.

As noted, the easy workaround is just to change your plan if you're going to be out of town at some point and you need more than 3 movies.

It's kind of annoying that I'll need to muck around with the plan when I visit those other 5 states, but it's not a huge deal. As long as I can easily switch back the next month, I'm cool with it!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie yesterday was Stockholm. My friend and I were the only two people in the theater. In fact, when we got there, the ac wasn't even on and it was pretty hot. But after I asked they turned it on and it cooled down over the next half hour. The movie was good, one of those truth is stranger than fiction things, and I'd rate it about a "B".

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
It's kind of annoying that I'll need to muck around with the plan when I visit those other 5 states, but it's not a huge deal. As long as I can easily switch back the next month, I'm cool with it!

I'm sort of lucky in that I don't visit the 5 highest-priced states often, but I do visit family in Maryland, which is now a $22 state, a couple times a year. Last Christmas I saw 6 movies via A-List while up there.

So I will just pay the $2 extra for the month of December when that time comes around again.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I read the fine print on the e-mail I got over the weekend. The only states I can't use my A List in are: California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. The only one of those states I have been to in the last five years is Cali...and when I'm there, movies aren't my priority. It's kinda goofy, but I'm not getting up in arms about it.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I read the fine print on the e-mail I got over the weekend. The only states I can't use my A List in are: California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. The only one of those states I have been to in the last five years is Cali...and when I'm there, movies aren't my priority. It's kinda goofy, but I'm not getting up in arms about it.

It's really the only practical way they can enforce the price increase for the 15 states that have moved up to either $22 or $24 a month. Otherwise, everyone would just claim to live in a $20 state and sign up at that price.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's really the only practical way they can enforce the price increase for the 15 states that have moved up to either $22 or $24 a month. Otherwise, everyone would just claim to live in a $20 state and sign up at that price.

Oh, I get it. I'm not at all upset or frustrated with it. I'm sure there will be people running around with pitchforks about this. I won't be one of them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

To be clear, I'm not "up in arms" about this. Indeed, I'm happy there's a workaround, so I have no complaint here.

If I couldn't adapt my A-List plan for the "Forbidden Five" states, I'd be annoyed. But I can, so I'm fine!

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

It would be absurd for me to do so. E.g,, my membership month starts on the 29th, so i just started a new month. On April 29 I saw "Shazam" which would have cost me $9. Today, I saw "Endgame" again, in 3D, which would have cost $11.

So we are barely 3 days in to my month, and I've already seen $20 worth of movies for my $21 membership fee. Tomorrow, I will see another movie (Intruder), which even as an early-bird would cost $5. So even if i was forced to pay the $24 ($25 with tax) California rate, I already, in just 4 days, would have seen enough movies to cover that cost. And I will see a bunch more before the 29th of May rolls around.

A-List is a crazy good deal for me.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Anyone use Fandango to order A-List tickets? I am greedy, it would be nice to get Fandango rewards in addition to the A-List benefits, and I've heard they have an arrangement. So i downloaded the Fandango app, created an account, and used it to order a ticket. At the payment point, you have the option of putting in your "AMC Stubs Account Number", and so I put in my A-List account number and voila, it credited me with a bought ticket at no charge! I got an e-ticket with a barcode to use.

Two downsides though ....

1) When I open my A-List app, it does not recognize the existence of this ticket. I am worried when I go to the movies tomorrow to see the show, that this will create a problem. Also, this lack of linkage between A-List and Fandango could mess with how A-List keeps track of my usage.

2) Another issue is, I wanted to get a ticket for a Friday movie, and i noticed that Fandango isn't as up to date as is the AMC app. The AMC app lists movies and showtimes for Friday that have not yet appeared on Fandango. That is a problem because waiting for Fandango to refresh could mean I lose out on good seat locations to people who reserve seats via the AMC app.

Anyway, will see how it goes tomorrow, hope the scanner at my AMC accepts the Fandango ticket.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recently noticed that I can use A-List through Fandango and that doing so will get me Fandango points after each showtime.

When I make a reservation in Fandango, it appears instantly on my AMC app as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks