What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
"The Quiet Man"

I've literally never heard of this movie before reading your post and I'm not aware of it playing here. Funny you got access to this but not to The Old Man and the Gun. Anyway, what is this? Your enthusiasm has me curious.

Edit: From looking at Fandango, it seems like you're referring to a re-release of the older movie from 1952. I didn't know it was coming out again and assumed you were referring to something completely new with that title. Fandango shows it as playing in one theater in my city, but it's not anywhere close to me, which would explain why I didn't know about it, since my normal theater didn't get it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've literally never heard of this movie before reading your post and I'm not aware of it playing here. Funny you got access to this but not to The Old Man and the Gun. Anyway, what is this? Your enthusiasm has me curious.

Edit: From looking at Fandango, it seems like you're referring to a re-release of the older movie from 1952. I didn't know it was coming out again and assumed you were referring to something completely new with that title. Fandango shows it as playing in one theater in my city, but it's not anywhere close to me, which would explain why I didn't know about it, since my normal theater didn't get it.
My local cinema is a Goodrich theater and they have "Flashback Cinema" which is similar to what "TCM/Fathom" does with their classic movie showings. As to the film itself, "The Quiet Man" not being known didn't occur to me, but it's the last film in which the great John Ford won his fourth and last Oscar for Best Director. It stars John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. It's a romantic comedy, but with some serious melodramatic aspects. I'm not sure I'll recommend the film to you as it does have some incorrect PC stuff that will not play well for a millennial that has a difficult time with film appreciation as it pertains to certain films and the film era in which those films were produced in.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As to the film itself, "The Quiet Man" not being known didn't occur to me

I know what it is -- I just was unaware of a re-release, so naturally since we're in a thread about recent theatrical releases I assumed that it was a new thing under that title (being unaware that the old one was being screened again, which is great.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know what it is -- I just was unaware of a re-release, so naturally since we're in a thread about recent theatrical releases I assumed that it was a new thing under that title (being unaware that the old one was being screened again, which is great.)
I thought this thread was about Movie Pass, Sinemia and AMC's A-List and what movies we're seeing using those movie subscription services, whether they're new or older movies.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought this thread was about Movie Pass, Sinemia and AMC's A-List and what movies we're seeing using those movie subscriptions.

Of course it is. But since you have to use those for films that are in theatrical release, I assumed incorrectly that The Quiet Man was also the name of a new theatrical release that I hadn't heard of when you mentioned it. It hadn't occurred to me that the old one would be screening theatrically right now because it's not a major wide theatrical re-release.

But I'm glad it is the old one and that you got to see it that way. If it were playing at my local theater I would certainly go to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The one thing about Goodrich's "Flashback Cinema" is that the pricing for these showings aren't any different than the pricing for a new film release so unlike "TCM/Fathom", they're eligible for purchase through Sinemia. Next week, it's "The Godfather Part II" and the following week "The Philadelphia Story".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So, the fine print - one movie per day, limited to MoviePass's selections, which are subject to change at any time, and the one a day part is also subject to change if MoviePass determines that you go too often. Oh, and you have to pay for your entire year's subscription upfront, so hey, if they go out of business in a month into it, you're out of luck.

No thanks!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So, the fine print - one movie per day, limited to MoviePass's selections, which are subject to change at any time, and the one a day part is also subject to change if MoviePass determines that you go too often. Oh, and you have to pay for your entire year's subscription upfront, so hey, if they go out of business in a month into it, you're out of luck.
How can anyone resist? :P

Basically, "give us your money and we may or may not provide a service in return."

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I still don't understand the MoviePass business model. Where does their revenue stream come from? Are there ads in the mobile app or something I'm missing?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish Regal would come up with one, it's been rumored forever. The AMCs around here have all of the premium amenities I enjoy, like IMAX and Dolby Cinema, but the closest theater to me is a Regal. I don't think their presentations are worth the $17 they charge for a single 2D ticket, but I'd probably be willing to pay $20 a month to be able to see unlimited movies there, or three a week like the AMC program. I just don't want to give them $17 for each and every showing, but I would like the freedom of being able to go visit the closest theater to me a couple times a month without breaking the bank.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I wish Regal would come up with one, it's been rumored forever. The AMCs around here have all of the premium amenities I enjoy, like IMAX and Dolby Cinema, but the closest theater to me is a Regal. I don't think their presentations are worth the $17 they charge for a single 2D ticket, but I'd probably be willing to pay $20 a month to be able to see unlimited movies there, or three a week like the AMC program. I just don't want to give them $17 for each and every showing, but I would like the freedom of being able to go visit the closest theater to me a couple times a month without breaking the bank.

Agreed. There are several Regals close to me (north side of Chicago) but the AMCs are downtown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks