Movie or Music setting on Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSC, Jul 29, 2002.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha YST-SW300 sub. It has a dial on the side with Music on one side and Movie on the other. If I adjust it all the way over to Movie I get more of a rumbling bass effect whereas if I set it to Music, the bass is tighter.

Can anyone tell me how this works? I know that all subs don't have this feature. Wouldn't a good sub simply play as close to the source intended and not have to regulate it as my sub does?

Thanks in advance.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

It's a way for a sub to be more capable in both fields than using a single compromise setting. It is particularly needed for lower spec subs as they usually lack enough output for HT if they are not heavily equalised yet this leads to "looser" bass - a switch gets around this.
    The port mode switch (along with the port plug) on the Hsu vtf series does the same thing but the high output mode is usually not needed as the subs are quite capable of decent SPLs in music mode unless in a large room. SVS have port plugs which mechanically tune the sub for the two modes as well.

4. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Any more thoughts?

J

5. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

My Velodyne 18" sub has a subsonic switch at 35Hz for music, and 15Hz for movies. It works very well for each mode.

6. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

set it to music.