What's new

Movie or Music setting on Sub? (1 Viewer)

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha YST-SW300 sub. It has a dial on the side with Music on one side and Movie on the other. If I adjust it all the way over to Movie I get more of a rumbling bass effect whereas if I set it to Music, the bass is tighter.

Can anyone tell me how this works? I know that all subs don't have this feature. Wouldn't a good sub simply play as close to the source intended and not have to regulate it as my sub does?

Thanks in advance.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me how this works? I know that all subs don't have this feature. Wouldn't a good sub simply play as close to the source intended and not have to regulate it as my sub does?
Yes, it would. The correct setting is probably Music. The Movie setting most likely adds a boost in the mid to upper bass region to make explosions more fun, at the expensise of accuracy. Many subs have that option under various names (Bass boost etc...) including SVS I believe.
Just leave it off (set it to music) and you should be fine... unless the other setting sounds better to you ;)
--
Holadem

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
It's a way for a sub to be more capable in both fields than using a single compromise setting. It is particularly needed for lower spec subs as they usually lack enough output for HT if they are not heavily equalised yet this leads to "looser" bass - a switch gets around this.
The port mode switch (along with the port plug) on the Hsu vtf series does the same thing but the high output mode is usually not needed as the subs are quite capable of decent SPLs in music mode unless in a large room. SVS have port plugs which mechanically tune the sub for the two modes as well.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
My Velodyne 18" sub has a subsonic switch at 35Hz for music, and 15Hz for movies. It works very well for each mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks