1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie night disaster averted!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack Shappa, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

My pal calls me up and tells me he just purchased Scarface on DVD. We decide to try and round up a few of the boys for an impromptu guy movie night. About an hour before everyone is to arrive I call my pal to ask what the aspect ratio is of the movie so I can set up my screen masking etc ahead of time...

He searches the box... "One point three three to one" he says. I'm stunned. So long have I automatically grabbed wide-screen that I completely forgot someone else might not know to do the same. The guy has been to my house countless times for movies but I honestly don't think the subject of WS vs FS ever came up.

I gulp hard... "Does it say ANY OTHER aspect ratio anywhere on the box?" thinking it might be both... "Oh yeah, it also says full screen presentation" DOH!

I explain to him about WS vs FS and he is horrified (rightfully so)! He actually gets in his car and drives all the way back to the store to get the WS version because the thought of not seeing it in its proper AOR makes him sick (bravo for him I say)...

He calls me from the store "They only have full screen, but the guy here says it's 'dual layer' so that means its both!". Even he could see this sounded like BS. After explaining it was, he goes ACROSS TOWN AGAIN to a different store to get the WS version.

He manages to show up right on time and a great time is had by all. Another victory for WS zealots everywhere! I wish everyone were as smart as my friend [​IMG]

- Jack

2. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Bravo!

3. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Can I be your friend's friend? [​IMG]

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Bravo, Jack, and bravo for your friend. That almost sounds like the plot of a Hitchcock thriller for us DVD enthusiasts: Oh, no, it's fullscreen...oh, no, "dual layer means both widescreen and fullscreen," the guy at the store is a complete and utter tool...what horrors could possibly await us next?! But then (like many Hitchcock pictures) it pretty much has a happy ending. [​IMG]

5. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

Well done gentlemen! Your mothers MUST be proud! [​IMG]

6. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

7. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Heh, yeah, that's pretty clearly what the idiot at the store was telling Jack's friend when he reported back: "They only have full screen, but the guy here says it's 'dual layer' so that means its both!"

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I don't get it. The OAR for Scarface (1932) with Paul Muni is academy. But I guess you mean the 1983 version. [​IMG]

"In this country, you gotta get the DVD first. Then when you get the DVD, you gotta get the OAR. Then when you get the OAR, then you get the women."

10. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Heh! Now that would have added a whole other wrinkle to the story...

Yeah the dual-layer comment from the store guy was almost as good as my electrician telling me he was putting my computer outlet on a seperate line so it wouldn't get a virus!

- Jack

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Bravo to Jack, for remaining calm in a time of crisis, and bravo to your friend for taking it back and hunting down the proper version. That may sound a bit sarcastic, but I asure you I'm being serious when I say that. I don't know many people that would even bother to exchange the disc, obviously none of the people I know and associate with in my daily life post on HTF.

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Wow. A store clerk who doesn't know what dual layer is. Priceless. hehehehehe.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

13. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

You have to do what you have to do! Good job!

I bought the full screen version of "28 Days Later" and didn't realize it until after I took off the cellophane. The Best Buy price tag in the upper left-hand corner perfectly covered the word "Full", so it never jumped out at me. Usually the first thing I see is "Full Screen" or "Wide Screen". I just grabbed the DVD and went home. When I brought it back opened an hour later, BB let me exchange it without a problem. I thought for sure I'd get the standard response of "No returns on opened software". When I picked up the wide screen version, I saw that the BB price tag coverd the word "wide".

Bastards...

14. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

OMG! This story was so intense, I was holding my breath until the end. Thank God he was able to find a widescreen version. I wonder what on earth possessed him to buy the foolscreen version in the first place. Does he own any other foolscreen DVDs?

15. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Very entertaining story, kudos to your friend. And as far as that dual layer comment goes... I'm just shaking my head.

Ric

16. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    Now THAT is a friend worth keeping!