What's new

Movie music - Schindler's List vs Enemy at the Gates (1 Viewer)

mark_d

Second Unit
I'm sitting here at work listening to someone's classical compilation album and the theme from Schindler's List is playing.

Now, I've only seen the film once, when it was first released at the cinema, but the music sounded very familiar. Then I got it - I have the soundtrack to Enemy at the Gates (so shoot me, I like some of Horner's stuff), and there's a piece there that's almost a straight lift. I think it kicks in as the final credits roll in the movie.

Can I trust my memory or am I going nuts?

Are they both based on existing pieces?

If only I could do an online hum of the tune...

Mark

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Don't know if they are based on a classical piece, but since Horner is pretty much incapable of creating a memorable theme on his own, I would say it's a safe bet that he was, hmmm, *inspired* by the Williams theme. Yeah, *inspired*, that's it. If I say any more, I'm likely to head into one of my monthly anti-Horner rants! :)

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I have the soundtrack to Enemy at the Gates (so shoot me, I like some of Horner's stuff)
I haven't bought any Horner scores of new movies in about two years except EATG. It's still to a certain degree another copy-paste job of his but overall I like it a lot, especailly the Russian inspired themes.

I have never seen Schindler's List :b but J. William's score is one of the best of the 90's!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
there's a piece there that's almost a straight lift.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Actually, I found it very distracting during the film because I couldn't believe the lack of originality that Horner demonstrated with his EATG score. But, nothing even comes close to Williams' haunting score.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
I agree. Most of Horner's stuff is pretty derivative on his previous work but this was the worst. The score of EATG began to distract from the rest of the movie. My friend and I both noticed at and were joking in the theater that we thought that Kirk, Spock, and Khan would walk around the corner since it reminded us of Star Trek II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks