What's new

Movie, Movie Coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
According to this, "Movie, Movie" is coming to Blu-ray. I grew up with this film on the CED format, which showed the film properly. For those unfamiliar with this movie, it's a comedy spoofing double-features from the 30s. The first is a B-picture and the other is an A-list musical. The B-picture is a boxing story and is meant to be shown in black and white. That's how the CED was. However, about 13 years ago I saw a cable broadcast that had this section in color. In fact on YouTube, the same scene is posted in black and white and color.

I hope that this new Blu-ray gets the movie right and has the opening film, "Dynamite Hands" in black and white while the second, "Baxter's Beauties" is in color.

Neil

Real Name
Rich
Glad to see that this is coming. I had the fuzzy VHS from Magnetic Home Video and it never made it to Reg. 1 DVD. A fun and smart film, especially if you're aware of the old film-making (and film-going) cliches. It only "shows to go ya" that patience is sometimes rewarded.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just got a reply from Scorpion Releasing - the company that is putting out the disc (through Kino)

"hopefully in June, Qcing the test discs"

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Will it be the original release version in which the first part was in glorious back and white?

Howard Tom

Agent
Real Name
Howard Tom
Ken Koc said:
Will it be the original release version in which the first part was in glorious back and white?

I've seen two different B/W versions of the first part of the film, and in one it had the look of a heavily duped print, with blown out whites and little subtlety in the blacks, much like the WWI film trailer that divides the film. This means I never knew which was the right presentation, but maybe all three could be included...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I got my copy yesterday. It's certainly the best the movie has ever looked. It's not pristine, as there is a black scratch running down part of "Dynamite Hands" and there is other print damage during it. Most disappointingly, the opening titles and the George Burns intro are not in HD! The disc explains they couldn't be found and are instead presented in SD. It looks fine, but there's no option to play the intro before the actual opening before the movie. Instead you select the intro on the menu, you see the opening titles and George Burns and then it goes back to the main menu and you have to select the feature.

I'm happy to have this movie in my collection again (I only ever owned it on CED!) so it was quite an upgrade.

Neil

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I received my copy Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to view it.
This is the second order from Amazon where the price dipped lower days after it shipped (Victor/Victoria was the other one). I wonder if I should stop pre-ordering from Amazon. $2-5/disc adds up with all the purchases I make.

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I received my copy Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to view it.
This is the second order from Amazon where the price dipped lower days after it shipped (Victor/Victoria was the other one). I wonder if I should stop pre-ordering from Amazon. $2-5/disc adds up with all the purchases I make.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that if a price decreased within a week of release, you could contact Amazon and they'd refund the difference. It's certainly worth a shot.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tried that, and they said the pre-order price guarantee is only good until the time of shipment, so they would not honor the new price decrease. I told them I guess if Amazon's new policy is to lower the price a few days after release, I would stop pre-ordering. They didn't care.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tried that, and they said the pre-order price guarantee is only good until the time of shipment, so they would not honor the new price decrease. I told them I guess if Amazon's new policy is to lower the price a few days after release, I would stop pre-ordering. They didn't care.

It seems to be more hit or miss these days, whereas in the past they'd make that adjustment a lot easier. I think the last time I asked for a similar type of adjustment was last fall, and they did it without a problem. (Although they did say something about it being a "one time exception".)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks