Movie Make-Up.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Apr 4, 2002.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Any make-up artists out there? I've been having a disagreement with my girlfriend about whether or not actors in movies, men mainly, wear make-up or not. I'm just talking about normal films not sci-fi FX stuff. Whenever I see a close up it doesn't look like there's any makeup on the actor's face, but my girlfriend insists that there is. Can anyone clear this up for me?

And also, how do they make it look so natural if there is makeup on them?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Pat,

I can't speak for every film- but I've been on quite a few sets- and all the men had some sort of makup. Usually the application is very subtle- an issue of covering blemishes or helping to even out fleshtone under the specific lighting condition.

Usually this doesn't involve traditional "makeup" applications you think of for women (eye shadow, mascara, lip stick)-- but you often see subtle use of cosmetics on lips and eyes as well- to seal, soften, add color.

Why can't you see it? Well, guess that's a good indication the makeup people are doing their jobs.

-Vince

3. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, they all wear makeup, everything, even talk shows etc. Just look at an actor when they do an interview behind the scenes. The makeup IS there to look natural, otherwise they have intense movie lighting reflecting off their faces. I also notice many actors look 5-10 yrs older behind the scenes and wear glasses.