Movie Gallery...A New Foe in the OAR Fight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_S, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

As a college student, I spend most of the year in Lexington, Kentucky. Lexington is the second largest city in the state and has a fairly wide selection of entertainment and things to do. Around June, I decided to come back to my hometown (Hardinsburg) and spend some time here with the family. Needless to say Hardinsburg is not a very happening town. One of the few things to do is to watch movies at home.
    Recently the local rental place was bought out by Movie Gallery of America. When this happened I thought to myself "Hey this means we will get more copies of movies and games". Boy was I ever wrong. On the relase day of A Beautiful Mind, I went into Movie Gallery to rent it. And what do I see there but 20 copies of the full screen A Beautiful Mind with no widescreen to be found. So I looked around at some other new releases. Spy Game and Harry Potter were also full frame only. I confronted a clerk about it and she told me that it was a corporate decision not to carry movies in their OAR.
    I fired off an email to Movie Gallery's customer service division about the problem and here is the response I got...
    "Brandon,
    Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about this. We appreciate hearing from our customers. The majority of our customers prefer the full screen versions of movies, therefore we usually get this format for movies. We are not the only ones that do this. Some of the studios are only releasing titles in this format, because this is what their customers are requesting as well. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with this. I hope you will continue to use Movie Gallery for all your video and entertainment needs. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know."
    [​IMG]
    I realize that most of you guys probably live close to a place that rents in OAR, but if you could take the time and let your voice be heard to Movie Gallery it would be greatly appreciated. The people of Hardinsburg need you! [​IMG]
    Here is the address:
    [email protected]
    Thanks for listening,
    Brandon Smith

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

As far as I know, yes they ARE the only major movie carrying chain to carry P&S DVDs only. Even Wal-Mart carries widescreen in many markets