What's new

Movie Endings you hate and why (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
The final line in Outbreak. It just doesn't sound like an ending to me. So dry and to the point. Out of place IMO.

As far as Blazing Saddles (probably my top 5 favorite movies of all time), that ending is just so Mel Brooks. You have to be a fan to appreciate it.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
A.I. - I felt sorry for the little bear.:laugh:
FOTR - I knew it was a three part story, but still didn't care for it.
Jurrasic Park III - Weak, cheap ending.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I second 2 of Terrell's 3 choices! Regarding A.I., while I did feel sorry for "the little bear" - which I think is one of the cutest cinematic creations ever - I thought it was a very fitting ending, and very Spielbergian - as it should be.:D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I feel really silly for feeling sorry for the bear, because he wasn't real. But they did such a good job making him seem to have feelings. AI was a very well made and acted film. But for me, too depressing. I went in happy, I came out depressed.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Here is another......

The ending to The Abyss. The Theatrical version, not the Special Edition. Everytime I saw that ending, I was like, WTF was that all about. The Special Edition is sooooooo much better and makes so much more sense.

-Dean-

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
What was wrong with the ending to Strange Days?

The final scene of The Manchurian Candidate has always bugged me. Dictating the obituary is extremely anticlimatic, given what just happened the scene before. That's when they should have ended it.

I think I was the only one in the theater who got the ending to Limbo, which should tell you something about Cincinnati's moviegoing public. Everyone was grumbling about it on the way out, but I thought it was perfect.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Le Femme Nikita. Maybe because its French, and that's why its stupid, but its just plain stupid regardless.

It looks like she has found a way to work everything out, and live with the guy, but instead she just walks away. I may not have it exactly correct, but the ending was stupid.

I get the feeling there is a clique of French directors, who think its great to count coup by giving bizarre and spastic endings to their films. Kind of trying to one up each other by seeing who can be more creative. Rhyme or reason just doesn't enter into it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Anyone see Boxing Helena?

I remember watching it and thinking, "gee, this isn't as bad as I'd heard." Sure, it was very twisted, but it was intriguing. Then, at the end...

the whole thing turned out to be a dream!

I don't think I've ever been so pissed at an ending before or since.

To a much lesser degree, I was always bugged by the ending of Saving Private Ryan...

The opening bookend of the film cuts in a way to imply that the old man at the grave might be the Tom Hanks character. Or at least someone who was there for the whole movie. But the ending clearly points up it was Matt Damon's character, who wasn't even there for a MAJORITY of the movie.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I love Superman: The Movie [it's one of my favorites], I always thought the ending was kind of hokey.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
I hate the special edition ending of The Abyss. That supid "humans are ruining the earth" lecture from the Aliens, and then all the outdoors shots of that tidal wave and that dork reporter was just too much for me. I much prefer the more simplistic theatrical ending. In fact, The Abyss is one of those movies where the theatrical release totally blows away the longer cut. I like the theatrical version of Army of Darkness too.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Le Femme Nikita. Maybe because its French, and that's why its stupid, but its just plain stupid regardless.
What a stupid thing to say!
How would you feel if someone would say "Maybe because it's an american movie, and that's why it's stupid, but it's just plain stupid regardless"? If you're having a problem with french movies, you should just avoid them. Really, it's that simple.
Nikita is one of the best french movies ever made, and is a lot better than the majority of Hollywood movies that were made in recent years! Point of No Return is the american remake and it doesn't even come close as being as good.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
The SE of Abyss was terrible, too. I'm not talking about the extra 30 minutes, but the actual ending (the same on the theatrical cut)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Someone asked if anyone had seen Pay It Forward and yes I will have to agree I hated that ending here is why...
Here we are getting to know this kid with this great idea about helping others and then in turn they help out others etc. etc. When all of the sudden when he finally gets noticed for the good he has done....when he gets his mother and his teacher together....he gets stabbed and he dies! What a horrible ending. I cried like a little school girl. I wanted him to live.

Peace,
Eve

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
was . . .. for me, too depressing. I went in happy, I came out depressed.
Why? He (they) lived happily ever after, no? If that ending followed Kubrick's intentions, I think he must have become dotty in his final years. Very "un-Kubrick"-like.
Another candidate for this topic: SuperNova. I thought the effects of SuperNova were superb, so good in fact, that they showed up how "punk" the drama had become in the finished (unfinished?) product. I think the premise for the movie was great, but what the marketing "suits" decided to do with it showed convincingly what's wrong with contemporary Hollywood moviemaking.
The deleted scenes, both for the beginning and for the ending of the film, demonstrate how different a film this could've been. Those scenes would've made the movie more like a real, classic science-fiction story. The doomful original ending would've given the story some heft and meaning. Instead, what the "suits" threw out (up?) was something totally ludicrous that trivialized everything that went before it: happy ending #34,529.
Thank goodness for DVD, so that we can see what botched movie products like this could have become.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I hated the ending of "Contact". The climax of the movie was when Jodie Foster went through the machine. Then when she returned there was no proof she had even left (well actually there was).

But anyway the whole thing at the end with James Woods trying to prove that she had lied about the trip. Maybe it didn't ruin the movie but it sure sucked the excitement out of it for me.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, the end of Contact sucked for me too. No payoff. Here I sat through 2 hours expecting some kind of payoff, and never got one. Spielberg would have never treated the audience that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks