What's new

Movie clip demonstating "determination (even to death)"? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a movie clip to show in a class. The clip needs to show someone who is so committed to fulfilling a task that they are willing to die trying. (If the clip had loved ones pleading with the person not to risk their life by going, that would be a bonus.) I have in mind someone trying to rescue someone else, or someone going to a meeting that they feel it is essential they attend, but I just can't think of any clips that fit the bill. Any suggestions?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Take your class on a field trip to see The Matrix Revolutions. :)

The previous two Matrix films might work as well.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The subway chase from The French Connection features a very determined Gene Hackman.

Neil

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe High Noon, when Will turns the wagon around and goes back over the protestations of his new bride? That's more out of self-interest than anything, i.e. they're going to come after me no matter what I do, so I should try to get some help where I can. It might not be quite what you had in mind.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
"Now choose, Hero!" Spider-Man. When Green Goblin taunts Spidey atop the bridge.

"She's alive." Aliens. When Ripley goes back into the base with Bishop waiting outside with the dropship (at the end)

"Earn this." Saving Private Ryan. Captain Miller and his squad's last stand at the bridge.

Toy Story. When Woody jumps off the bumper of the family car and returns to help Buzz, before they both begin their desperate chase of the moving truck.

"I will take it ... but I do not know the way." LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. Beginning of the Fellowship after the council (though really, Frodo's entire journey with The Ring meets your given critera)

Hope some of these work.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
- Major Duncan Heyward's sacrifice from The Last of the Mohicans.

- Bud's decision to descend into The Abyss.

- The swimming race in Gattaca.

- Private Witt's attempt to divert the enemy in The Thin Red Line.

- Danilov's sacrifice in The Enemy at the Gates.

- Captain Billy Tyne's decision to brave The Perfect Storm.

- The final run in Gallipoli.

8^B

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
-Boromir fighting to the death to protect the hobbits from the Uruk-Hai in Fellowship of the Ring.

-Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker getting electrocuted by Emperor Palpatine to save Luke in Return of the Jedi

EricTaylor

Agent
How about in TOMBSTONE when Doc Holiday continues to ride with Wyatt Earp even though Doc is dying of (Leukemia?)or when Wyatt Earp goes to fight to the death with Johnny Ringo even though he knows he cannot beat him.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
How about the end of Shane, when Marion pleads with both Joe and Shane not to go to town to meet with the gunslinger, but Shane is determined to go anyway?

Or the end of Return of the Jedi, when Luke is determined not to give in to the dark side, even though the Emperor will kill him.

Not sure the spoiler tags are necessary, but just in case.

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce Willis in Armagedon. It's the ultimate sacrifice and has the "family" element you are seaching for as well.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
You can look at Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan and compare Khan's relentless drive towards killing Kirk and Spock's sacrifice at the end of the film. And then look at Star Trek III: The Search For Spock which shows Kirk going against his orders to save Spock.

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your suggestions! I've decided to go with Armageddon (fits the context in the class most closely, though a number of these clips could have worked).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks